Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

After living carless in two different big cities in the Northeast for the past 10 years, I'm moving to Florida where that will no longer be an option. I'm obviously not looking for anything eye-catching or self-esteem boosting, rather just reliable transportation. The hitch is I do not want the typical "econo-box"...Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra, etc...you get the idea. I've noticed late 90s VW Jettas, VW Golfs and Subaru Legacys as options. Are they good choices? Would love to hear of some others also. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I've had the best luck buying cars from middle-aged, upper-middle-class people who just happen to have too many cars at the moment. Look around for that kind of a seller, who happens to have a car that comes close to suiting your needs. Mostly, they just want to get rid of it, and can be bargained down easily because they dislike the chore of selling it, they don't need the money, and don't want to deal with it anymore. These cars are often found parked on their front lawn in semi-rural areas with a for-sale sign on them. You can get a good idea from their house and property and other cars what kinds of owners they were.

If you decide in advance the car you want, there will be few or none at your price. But if you decide in advance the price you want, there are plenty of cars, and you just need to pick the cherry.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
What jtur said. Hondas are good, in general many of them have a timing belt that has to be changed on time and if it breaks you have substantial engine damage, not all Honda are "penalty box" cars, you can get an older Prelude for $3K. Subaru are good, in general. In FL you can consider older cars, even old Detroit stuff from '72 and earlier when they were good. I saw a good 6-cylinder, 4-speed first gen Mustang go for $5K recently, it was a presentable car. Something like this if well cared for may actually appreciate in value, at least you don't have depreciation.

An old air-cooled VW Bug is another option, although look out for rusty beach cars.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
There are lots of cars you can have for that price from Mustangs and Camaros to Cadillacs and Lincolns

Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you know the area you plan on moving to pre check Craigslist and Autotrader for that area to get an idea of whats for sale and at what price.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Chevy Caprice

Old 09-29-2010, 06:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What jtur said. Hondas are good, in general many of them have a timing belt that has to be changed on time and if it breaks you have substantial engine damage, not all Honda are "penalty box" cars, you can get an older Prelude for $3K. Subaru are good, in general. In FL you can consider older cars, even old Detroit stuff from '72 and earlier when they were good. I saw a good 6-cylinder, 4-speed first gen Mustang go for $5K recently, it was a presentable car. Something like this if well cared for may actually appreciate in value, at least you don't have depreciation.

An old air-cooled VW Bug is another option, although look out for rusty beach cars.
that would be a cool little car to cruise around in in FL

Old 09-29-2010, 07:27 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
A concrete example of a good cheap car, in my little town there is a decent looking 66 Dodge pickup, newly rebuilt 318, new brakes all round, not ready for Pebble Beach but far from ready for the junkyard - I think they are asking $1500 for it.

It does not offer all the latest tech of course, but it also does not have near as much to go wrong.

Well cared for, use it but don't abuse it - you could drive it 5 or 10 years and then sell it for the same or more money in today's dollars. Or you could decide to go another 5 or 10.

If you were born after say 1980 you may not be aware of it, but up till about '72 Detroit built some fairly desirable cars...

Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
In Florida, you will see a suplus of old man and old lady cars. Our older residents scale down to one car or sometimes no car as their driving needs and ability decreases. Settle on what there is a surplus of where you are. You will get the best buy that way. See if you can stomach a Buick LeSabre or a Cadillac DTS or the like. That's where you will get a real value.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
2000-2004 Ford Focus. They're later model and usually have somewhat low miles for around your price range. I'd recommend the ZX3 with the DOHC 2.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive