Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,692,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
No prob; I was the one who mentioned the S-10 first anyways, so that reply wouldn't have existed if I didn't post first.

The Colorado/Canyon are mid-sized. Honestly, I'm not sure any Colorado/Canyon owner would recommend it to anyone else either. From a truck perspective, there aren't really any aspects that positively stand out, but with several that do detract, like the I-5 (the power of a 4 cylinder with the fuel economy of a 6 cylinder), the interior (old GM quality), and the pricing (new, they sold for almost as much or even more than the full-size with a V6).
I can't complain because I got a really good deal on it.
The gas mileage is not that the best but I'm not picky, I just wanted a basic truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,793,568 times
Quote:
No prob; I was the one who mentioned the S-10 first anyways, so that reply wouldn't have existed if I didn't post first.
Actually, I would have posted even if you hadn't of.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,483,345 times
The OP does not seem to be looking for "power", seems to be wanting efficiency. I have a 97 Ranger xlt short bed regular cab, 5 speed manual and a 4 cylinder. It's a great little truck and has always had enough "power" for anything I have had to do. Sure you not going to pull a yacht with it but in most situations a 4 is all you need in a compact truck.
My second choice would be a Toyota or a Nissan. Had an s10 and it was crap.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,135,703 times
FWIW today I saw a Datsun (Nissan) small truck, original paint apparently, not mint but still quite servicable-looking. For a while Toyota built a small truck that they labeled as a 1-ton. It seemed rather small for that rating but FWIW there it is. I see a few of these running around town still, I think they are from the mid 80's.

I love living far from the Rust Belt.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,989,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
For a while Toyota built a small truck that they labeled as a 1-ton. It seemed rather small for that rating but FWIW there it is. I see a few of these running around town still, I think they are from the mid 80's.
The 1-ton Hilux ... they beefed up the suspension and axle ... and that might have been it. Still powered by the 22RE, though, so don't expect to win any races with it loaded up. While very durable, Toyota's of the 80's (and early part of the 90's) weren't exactly known for their safety.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,911,543 times
Quote:
The 1-ton Hilux ... they beefed up the suspension and axle ... and that might have been it. Still powered by the 22RE, though, so don't expect to win any races with it loaded up. While very durable, Toyota's of the 80's (and early part of the 90's) weren't exactly known for their safety.
A lot of them were chassis cabs. Many became U-Haul trucks and some may be still on duty as the $19.95 special. Later 1 Tons had the V6. My friend's father has a 3/4 (see next paragraph) or 1-ton, '85 or '86, with a stake body and dual rear wheels, nearly mint, under 100K actual, in Michigan, of all places. Not for sale. People ask all the time.

I think the early 80s models were actually 3/4 ton and badged as such. I think the 1 ton came later.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,945,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Ford is considering dropping the Ford Ranger...
A few weeks ago I walked around a Ford lot on a Sunday. They had rows of F150s, 250s and bigger trucks, but only 1 (one) Ranger on display. Get em while they're hot!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,711,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
A few weeks ago I walked around a Ford lot on a Sunday. They had rows of F150s, 250s and bigger trucks, but only 1 (one) Ranger on display. Get em while they're hot!
Nobody really buys a Ford Ranger new as you can find them VERY cheap after a couple years. For the price of a Ranger, most of the time you can get into a Ford F-150 XL and for a few thousand more, an F-150 SuperCab XLT. Not only do you get a better, more updated truck but you also get a half-ton, more comfort features, and a much better ride. Not sure why anyone would purchase a Ranger when an F-150 is the exact same price.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,006,615 times
Ford Transit Connect! Greatest car available in North America for the last decade. I'd live in one if I could.

If they made a diesel manual version, I'd own two of them right now.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
I really have a hard time understanding how anyone can recommend a S10. It is a terrible vehicle. Maybe it didn't leave you stranded on the road, but is crude, badly built, uncomfortable, and slow. The Canyon/Colorado are hardly better.

The Tacoma and Frontier are better choices. The Ranger may be the only true compact truck. But it has terrible engines and is representative of the old Ford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive