Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,693,651 times

Advertisements

If your feeling brave you could be one of the first Americans to buy a Mahindra.
I don't see how you could get an s-10 thats less than 4 years old. My Canyon is 5 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,242,606 times
If you want to buy new aren't Ranger and Colorado the only really compact trucks left? Seems like Fontier and Tacoma keep getting bigger, and I'm still not sure where you would fit a Dakota in the mix. With gas mileage at a premium, it's a wonder car companies are getting bigger and bigger with their trucks.

As far as my opinion, just bought a 2010 Ranger, so far so good, won't be able to tell you how I really feel for a few years. It's a 4 cyl. but I need the good gas mileage, my last car was a Camry, couldn't sacrafice too much gas mileage.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,993,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I don't see how you could get an s-10 thats less than 4 years old.
... which is why my response was a Ford Ranger. GM doesn't make a compact truck anymore. Neither does Toyota, Nissan, or Dodge. They've all bloated up to "mid-size" now - fatter, taller, longer, and heavier - but without adding any utility as all the beds are still 6-ft. or shorter. I really don't get what's the point of the current Tacomas, Frontiers, and Dakotas when they're nearly the size of their full-size counterparts nowadays.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,363,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
... which is why my response was a Ford Ranger. GM doesn't make a compact truck anymore. Neither does Toyota, Nissan, or Dodge. They've all bloated up to "mid-size" now - fatter, taller, longer, and heavier - but without adding any utility as all the beds are still 6-ft. or shorter. I really don't get what's the point of the current Tacomas, Frontiers, and Dakotas when they're nearly the size of their full-size counterparts nowadays.
I agree and with only $1500-2K in price diffrence over their full size counterparts most people just opt for the full size 1/2 ton anyways you get twice the towing and hauling capability for about the same price and there is not much differance of overall in fuel mileage.

I would say look at a 2-3 year old F-150 or chevy silverado 1500 both are very solid and relaible trucks that hold their value and are cheap and easy to find part's for and any indy mechnic can work on them with ease.
a 05-08 F-150 is a nice looking truck 1/2 and only a couple a little bit more $$ then a comparable ranger depending on options and configurations.

Last edited by GTOlover; 09-22-2010 at 12:07 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,914,892 times
If you were to buy new, the insurance on a full size is cheap, it nearly offsets the gas mileage penalty, as long as you stick with the base engine, not to mention that they are safer, if not in crash test scores then in the laws of physics as they weigh more and sit a bit higher (this point makes a big difference in side impacts if you don't have side air bags).

Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,335,179 times
I just traded in my 2002 S10, a truck I enjoyed a lot, for a Ford fusion.
Gotta say, I probably would have traded up for another compact truck, but no ompany really makes one anymore. They are now slightly smaller fullsizers and expensive at that. My advice is to find the cleanest, lowest mileage used S10 you can find. Its a great truck and it will serve you well.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 AM

468 posts, read 1,544,962 times
I have owned a couple of Ford Rangers. They were good trucks and never gave me any problems.

But, dang, I wish that Jeep would bring back the Comanche pickup!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,718,754 times
For the price, I think you're better off buying a slightly used F-150 or Silverado/Sierra. You can find an F-150 in XL trim for very cheap same with a Silverado in WT trim. The 4.6L in the F-150 will get you comparable gas mileage with a 6 cyl Ranger. Food for thought.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,693,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
... which is why my response was a Ford Ranger. GM doesn't make a compact truck anymore.
I don't know if a Canyon is technically a compact truck or not but I was really responding to the post below. I guess I should have quoted it to avoid confusion. Please note I didn't actually recommend the Canyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
As another S-10 owner, an S-10. Get the 4.3 liter model though as all the other engines used in the S-10 were too underpowered. Good little trucks that can take many lickings but keep on ticking.

The late 80's Toyotas are good too, that is if you can find one that didn't turn to rust by now.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,993,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I don't know if a Canyon is technically a compact truck or not but I was really responding to the post below. I guess I should have quoted it to avoid confusion. Please note I didn't actually recommend the Canyon.
No prob; I was the one who mentioned the S-10 first anyways, so that reply wouldn't have existed if I didn't post first.

The Colorado/Canyon are mid-sized. Honestly, I'm not sure any Colorado/Canyon owner would recommend it to anyone else either. From a truck perspective, there aren't really any aspects that positively stand out, but with several that do detract, like the I-5 (the power of a 4 cylinder with the fuel economy of a 6 cylinder), the interior (old GM quality), and the pricing (new, they sold for almost as much or even more than the full-size with a V6).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive