Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times

Advertisements

FWIW, the OP said nothing about remounting a tire on the said rim; only the removal. I'm presuming it's because you can't scrap it without the tire being removed first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 03:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
FWIW, the OP said nothing about remounting a tire on the said rim; only the removal. I'm presuming it's because you can't scrap it without the tire being removed first.
"IF" the OP wants to scrap the wheel the it's time to haul out the fire wrench and cut the damn thing off.

Just don't pressurize this type of wheel unless you have a death wish.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:04 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
But you also don't know if he plans to reverse the procedure and remount a new tire either. Either way, it's best left up to an experienced tire buster. There's no way I'm gonna tell him how to do it.

And as I said earlier, I watched a man take his last breath because of a split rim mishap. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:02 PM

232 posts, read 632,499 times
Built a bunch of split rim wheels up, for our planes. Taking it apart is cake, just depressurize completely, go ahead and remove the shrader valve and after making sure there is no pressure in the tire, make sure there is no pressure and take the hardware off. Putting it back together is cake too.

Pressurizing it and trying to get a bead can be dangerous though, of course it's done in a cage. Usually we go 20% over the pressure we want and leave it in the cage for an hour. Then drop the pressure to where we want it and leave it in a different holder for 12 hours.

The dangerous part comes from people who are inattentive when pressurizing it......because you overpressure this, it can go really bad. Seen pics of kids pretty much snapped in half by a split rim coming apart on them. And then of course in a fire or hot brakes....never approach these wheels abeam or anywhere close to that.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
many years ago i worked for the city of tucson, and part of my job took me around to the tire and lube shop. at the time nearly all the heavy equipment, and all trucks above 2 1/2 ton rating had split rims on them. the tire shop had a few cages for inflating tires mounted on split rims, and EVERYONE of those cages were bent from split rims coming apart. i happened to be there when a split rim did in fact come apart during inflation, and if it were not for the cage the tire person and i would have been severely injured and we were standing about 20ft away from the cage. my advice is to take the rim and tire to a pro and pay the money to have them deal with the situation. even better advice would be to get the later one piece wheels and replace the split rims, and thaqt way you never have to worry about one coming apart again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive