Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 08:46 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times

Advertisements

NASCAR is eyeing 2023 to begin introducing an EV concept Stock Car. Rumor mill says that we could even see them at the 2023 Busch Clash at The Coliseum and then morph that prototype into a racing series at six racing venues “likely aligned with Cup Series events.”

From what I've found:

According to the information, which is yet to be confirmed by NASCAR, the target launch for the racing series would be in the third quarter of 2023 and features, two races consisting of 30-minutes apiece – one on Saturday and another on Sunday.
  • 12 vehicles total (3/4 per OEM)
  • Lap time targets equivalent to NG ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) platform
  • No battery swaps/charging (evaluate implementation in Phase 2)
  • Non-competitive pit stops for tires or to fix mechanical/crash damage

The uncovered documents also indicate that Nascar will employ what it learns from the EV racing division to “determine the best path forward in National Series for 2025.”

https://kickinthetires.net/nascar/le...clash-in-2023/

I know we will hear from the over 65 crowd complaining of a lack of NOISE that high powered V8s make. NOISE is part of the experience they will say. This can be a thread in and by itself.

As you may have heard, Dodge is ending the Challenger and Chargers after the next model year. Dodge has released a concept of future EV Muscle Car called the Banshee. This car really looks cool. Dodge plans on making it as close to an ICE in feel and sound as it can.

https://electrek.co/2022/08/17/dodge...h-exhaust/amp/

Would be a great time for Dodge to jump back into NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 04:28 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
NASCAR is eyeing 2023 to begin introducing an EV concept Stock Car. Rumor mill says that we could even see them at the 2023 Busch Clash at The Coliseum and then morph that prototype into a racing series at six racing venues “likely aligned with Cup Series events.”

From what I've found:

According to the information, which is yet to be confirmed by NASCAR, the target launch for the racing series would be in the third quarter of 2023 and features, two races consisting of 30-minutes apiece – one on Saturday and another on Sunday.
  • 12 vehicles total (3/4 per OEM)
  • Lap time targets equivalent to NG ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) platform
  • No battery swaps/charging (evaluate implementation in Phase 2)
  • Non-competitive pit stops for tires or to fix mechanical/crash damage

The uncovered documents also indicate that Nascar will employ what it learns from the EV racing division to “determine the best path forward in National Series for 2025.”

https://kickinthetires.net/nascar/le...clash-in-2023/

I know we will hear from the over 65 crowd complaining of a lack of NOISE that high powered V8s make. NOISE is part of the experience they will say. This can be a thread in and by itself.

As you may have heard, Dodge is ending the Challenger and Chargers after the next model year. Dodge has released a concept of future EV Muscle Car called the Banshee. This car really looks cool. Dodge plans on making it as close to an ICE in feel and sound as it can.

https://electrek.co/2022/08/17/dodge...h-exhaust/amp/

Would be a great time for Dodge to jump back into NASCAR.
I saw this a few weeks ago and just kind of shook my head.

I can’t imagine another platform being pushed on teams to contend with in the near future. As far as noise at age 62 I have been in love with the sound of a finely tuned race car since I could walk. Would an electric car take away from that? I think anyone of any age at first would be blown away sitting at a track watching a pack of cars racing by silently but most would get used to it. I do think adding fake noise is kind of gimmicky. NASCAR is having problems filling seats and increasing its fan base now and I am not sure dumping a tremendous amount of money into a new series is going to help grow the sport. They need to decide if it is going to be a novelty or where NASCAR wants it’s future direction to go.

If inevitable then so be it, but again I just can’t imagine the amount of research and development and the learning curve with NASCAR teams having to deal with the added weight of the batteries and it’s effects on the cars dynamics but then again NASCAR is used to pushing new platforms that are works in progress.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 08-18-2022 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-19-2022, 06:14 AM

In my opinion, NASCAR is doing this for several reasons.

1. Manufacturers want to showcase their EV technology to future buyers.
2. NASCAR is trying to appear WOKE, especially when it comes to ICE and fossil fuels and possible future gov't restrictions.
3. NASCAR is looking ahead to catering to a new generation of fans who support the WOKE agenda and to stay relevant.

I'm sure NASCAR is worried about its long term future. Even before the woke climate agenda got the traction it has, NASCAR has been losing the coveted 18-35 y/o fan. That generation has many more things to distract them, be it other sports, outdoor activities, iPhone, etc... than older fans had at their age or in the 1990's-2000 era where NASCAR was king.

No one knows what the future is going to be like without fossil fuels/ICE. We all know that the current administration and Congress is being controlled by the Woke agenda. Biden has said "I want you to look at my eyes. I guarantee you, I guarantee you we're going to end fossil fuels." If that happens, what will NASCAR do?

It would be negligent of NASCAR to not at least explore the concept of EV racing. To be ready just in case if they wish to survive in 2030 and beyond.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:03 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
In my opinion, NASCAR is doing this for several reasons.

1. Manufacturers want to showcase their EV technology to future buyers.
2. NASCAR is trying to appear WOKE, especially when it comes to ICE and fossil fuels and possible future gov't restrictions.
3. NASCAR is looking ahead to catering to a new generation of fans who support the WOKE agenda and to stay relevant.

I'm sure NASCAR is worried about its long term future. Even before the woke climate agenda got the traction it has, NASCAR has been losing the coveted 18-35 y/o fan. That generation has many more things to distract them, be it other sports, outdoor activities, iPhone, etc... than older fans had at their age or in the 1990's-2000 era where NASCAR was king.

No one knows what the future is going to be like without fossil fuels/ICE. We all know that the current administration and Congress is being controlled by the Woke agenda. Biden has said "I want you to look at my eyes. I guarantee you, I guarantee you we're going to end fossil fuels." If that happens, what will NASCAR do?

It would be negligent of NASCAR to not at least explore the concept of EV racing. To be ready just in case if they wish to survive in 2030 and beyond.

Expand on your #1 there... Manufacturers might be looking at this as a way to develop, test and prove new EV technologies.

remember.. many things that started on race cars made their way into production cars with ICE's. Same can happen with EVs.

The options here are to get in on the ground floor with it or wait until someone else does and perhaps bypasses you.

It makes sense for the manufacturers, it makes sense for NASCAR. Whether it makes sense for existing teams, or, if this becomes something like the truck series, where.. In reality, you kinda don't have any cup series teams competing there. At least, not on a regular basis.

EV's aren't going away. Get in on the ground floor or be left out is probably how NASCAR is looking at this. Isn't there already an electric Formula series? Seems this is a good proving ground for Ford, Chevy and Toyota at least.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:29 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m6Pqi8q2Ys

This looks pretty nice.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:57 AM

273 posts, read 654,832 times
The new Dodge looks good and looks like it can be a model to fit the current template. At least it appears to have 2 doors which obviously the Toyota does not in the actual model.

Non flat plane crank engines have always sounded less than pleasing to me so if the sound goes away, I'm not going to cry.

But 500 mile races are not going to be EV in my lifetime. That would be like turning NHRA Top Fuel into all electric. They can and speeds will be reached. But there will be few ears in the grandstands to not hear the race.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
The new Dodge looks good and looks like it can be a model to fit the current template. At least it appears to have 2 doors which obviously the Toyota does not in the actual model.

Non flat plane crank engines have always sounded less than pleasing to me so if the sound goes away, I'm not going to cry.

But 500 mile races are not going to be EV in my lifetime. That would be like turning NHRA Top Fuel into all electric. They can and speeds will be reached. But there will be few ears in the grandstands to not hear the race.
I concur that 500 miles on one battery charge driving at high speeds, would be very challenging at this point.

Tesla had a concept battery swapping facility that could do it in 90 seconds! The concept failed to make it in the real world, but maybe engineers could figure out a way to do that on pit road someday.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:00 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
I concur that 500 miles on one battery charge driving at high speeds, would be very challenging at this point.

Tesla had a concept battery swapping facility that could do it in 90 seconds! The concept failed to make it in the real world, but maybe engineers could figure out a way to do that on pit road someday.
The only way I could see EV racing happen in NASCAR, is to expand on the present form of "stage racing", where there'd be a "competition caution" every so many laps, and this stop would be for the entire field to swap batteries.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:09 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Now all it needs is a hemi!

A totally electric Nascar, nope! Itll fold before that happens.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Now all it needs is a hemi!

A totally electric Nascar, nope! Itll fold before that happens.
Ask yourself, why do manufacturers spend so much money, time and energy in NASCAR? Just to hang out on Sunday's and watch racing from a suite?

Manufacturers want to showcase their vehicles and engineering prowess. They hope to get a ROI.
  • GM phasing out ICE by 2035 (spending $35B)
  • Ford to be carbon neutral by 2050 (spending $22B)
  • Toyota all electric by 2050
  • Chrysler shut down production of the HEMI engine forever (No More V8 Engines)
  • California (#1 car state) to ban ICE sales by 2035

With all that said, NASCAR understands where the future is heading. Electric car racing is coming if NASCAR wants to survive. It will have new fans. F1 and Indy are heading in that same direction.

I'm sure the CUP series will be the last one to switch. Probably a good decade away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing