Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 03:08 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I did indeed! I've been enjoying this series, high marks to those who conceived it and brought it to life.

I love local tracks, even more so when the local heroes get to take on outsiders. I remember attending stockcar races inside Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ after sitting in church tugging on my Dad's sleeve, pestering him about going to the races, probably in the late 50s, a place where I also got to see my heroes of the Brooklyn Dodgers play. We also had a high-banked 1/3 mile asphalt track similar to Slinger in a shore town that always figured in to our vacations at the shore. It was great to see attendance at Slinger double the town's population!
My home town that I grew up in was the home of https://evergreenspeedway.com/general/ every weekend no matter where you lived in our little town you could hear the race track. I remember it was always a big deal when Bill Elliot would come there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 07:47 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
My home town that I grew up in was the home of https://evergreenspeedway.com/general/ every weekend no matter where you lived in our little town you could hear the race track. I remember it was always a big deal when Bill Elliot would come there.

Looking at their site it's good to see they seem to be prospering, so much great racing to be had at local tracks all around the country.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:10 AM

I for one am sorry to see the series come to an end. I thought it was well done, entertaining, and surprising to see on prime Saturday night network time.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:27 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,922,834 times
Last night was fun. Great to see good racing at the Fairgrounds.

Bill and Chase put on a show. Smoke wanted to win both trophies last night, but came away with the big one.

Hate to see Willie T Ribbs crash out, but at least he took himself out rather than the other cars.

Not too sure how I feel about the mandatory yellow after so many green laps, but I get it. Just something I need to get used to.

Yeah, I hate to see this series come to an end for the season, but I'll definitely watch it again next year.

Good job to all the folks that put this 6 week show together!

Old 07-18-2021, 04:26 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I for one am sorry to see the series come to an end. I thought it was well done, entertaining, and surprising to see on prime Saturday night network time.
Exactly what I told my boys last night Burdell.... this was appointment tv for us on Saturday night !

Old 07-19-2021, 12:16 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times
Really enjoyed the season and the race Saturday. Fun seeing Chase in there.

Looking forward to next season...maybe 8 races??

Old 07-19-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Really enjoyed the season and the race Saturday. Fun seeing Chase in there.

Looking forward to next season...maybe 8 races??

When I was a kid there was a grainy black & white weekly TV series called 'Jalopy Races From Hollywood', I wouldn't mind seeing the SRX series continue the tradition.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:03 AM

NASCAR can learn a LOT from the SRX Series:
  • Exciting races fit into a neat 2 hour time slot
  • The TV broadcast made for TV viewing (few major commercial breaks)
  • Great driver personalities (free from sponsor constraints)
  • Short season, forces drivers to really perform every race
  • Fun, exciting short track races (Nashville Fairgrounds had it's largest crowd in decade)

Of course we don't need two racing clones, but NASCAR needs to adjust to the 21st century. NASCAR races are TOO long. Some races should stay at 500 but many can drop to 250-350.

They could shorten the season. Lop off 4-6 races, stop competing with the NFL. Only a few crown jewel tracks need more than one race...add more fun tracks like SRX did (COTA and Nashville are a move in that direction).

The cookie cutter NASCAR drivers are mostly very dull compared to past drivers. The Busch brothers, Kevin Harvick, Logano, BK and a few others will be gone soon and the drivers that are taking up the mantle have to really tow the corporate line. I understand representing a brand is very important, but you will lose eyeballs if the drivers are boring.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:45 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

NASCAR needs to adjust to the 21st century. NASCAR races are TOO long. Some races should stay at 500 but many can drop to 250-350.

They could shorten the season. Lop off 4-6 races, stop competing with the NFL. Only a few crown jewel tracks need more than one race...add more fun tracks like SRX did (COTA and Nashville are a move in that direction).

The cookie cutter NASCAR drivers are mostly very dull compared to past drivers. The Busch brothers, Kevin Harvick, Logano, BK and a few others will be gone soon and the drivers that are taking up the mantle have to really toe the corporate line. I understand representing a brand is very important, but you will lose eyeballs if the drivers are boring.
It seems that the NASCAR organization has lost it's focus, and has forgotten that it's "roots", therefore it's major fan base, is in the southeast part of the US. Therefore, they need to get back to the race start times of 12-1PM, EST. Nobody that I know of, likes the 3-4 PM start times, with the 7-8 PM finish times. I know that they're trying to create a west coast fan base, but from the "scuttlebutt" that I'm hearing, they are alienating the long time, east coast fans, including myself.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
It seems that the NASCAR organization has lost it's focus, and has forgotten that it's "roots", therefore it's major fan base, is in the southeast part of the US. Therefore, they need to get back to the race start times of 12-1PM, EST. Nobody that I know of, likes the 3-4 PM start times, with the 7-8 PM finish times. I know that they're trying to create a west coast fan base, but from the "scuttlebutt" that I'm hearing, they are alienating the long time, east coast fans, including myself.
I hear Dale Jr complain about the start times a lot. He agrees with you that day races should all start at the same time, it's too confusing to fans. Night races I suppose could start at 7-7:30 pm?

I follow NASCAR, but I still have a hard time keeping up with what track they are at and what time they start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing