Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 04:27 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times

Advertisements

Mike Wallace suspended for.. Behavioral issues.. Sounds like maybe he dropped the "N" bomb or something. Has to complete sensitivity training. I can't find anything that explains what he did.

I mean, he's mostly irrelevant. Ran 3 Xfinity races this year.. First races since 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 04:55 PM

5,243 posts, read 6,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Mike Wallace suspended for.. Behavioral issues.. Sounds like maybe he dropped the "N" bomb or something. Has to complete sensitivity training. I can't find anything that explains what he did.

I mean, he's mostly irrelevant. Ran 3 Xfinity races this year.. First races since 2015.
Sports on a whole is getting so intertwined with sponsorships, politics, social media and the ability to literally make or break an athlete’s career depending on how the misdeed is spun.

I don’t condone bad behavior but it’s just not racing on the weekend where you are under the spotlight anymore, it’s damn 24/7 now!

Old 09-10-2020, 05:04 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Had to do with, um, "orientation", or so says someone I know that saw the tweet.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:15 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,762 times
Quote:
Wallace leaving the 43.. Assumption he's going to the 42, but apparently there was previously an offer for the 48 as well.
Good. Now maybe Petty Racing can hire a driver base on his talent not the color of his skin.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:41 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Had to do with, um, "orientation", or so says someone I know that saw the tweet.
I think my friend was mistaken, because I jsut saw something where MW referenced the VP candidate and something she said.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Good. Now maybe Petty Racing can hire a driver base on his talent not the color of his skin.

Look, no matter what you think.. Bubba Wallace is a talented race car driver. He's done quite a bit this year, at least, with pretty sub-par Petty equipment.

Prior to that, he was in underfunded Roush Xfinity stuff when they were shutting down the program and still managed to finish 7th in the points.

His time with JGR was excellent. 5 out of 7 races he finished in the top 10 in Xfinity, And won 5 races in KBM (Basically Gibbs) equipment in Trucks.

I wouldn't put him on the level of a Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick or anything like that. But.. On par with an Aric Almirola, Kyle Larson, Ryan Blaney.

Probably not ever going to compete in the final 4 for the championship, but.. A few lucky breaks, he might. And should win a race or two most years. If he's in good, competitive equipment.

I don't agree with the whole 'noose' episode.. But the talent is there.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:45 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
The Mike Wallace posts are on Reddit if you care. Didn't seem really offensive, but public figures should be able to read the current environment.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Look, no matter what you think.. Bubba Wallace is a talented race car driver. He's done quite a bit this year, at least, with pretty sub-par Petty equipment.

Prior to that, he was in underfunded Roush Xfinity stuff when they were shutting down the program and still managed to finish 7th in the points.

His time with JGR was excellent. 5 out of 7 races he finished in the top 10 in Xfinity, And won 5 races in KBM (Basically Gibbs) equipment in Trucks.

I wouldn't put him on the level of a Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick or anything like that. But.. On par with an Aric Almirola, Kyle Larson, Ryan Blaney.

Probably not ever going to compete in the final 4 for the championship, but.. A few lucky breaks, he might. And should win a race or two most years. If he's in good, competitive equipment.

I don't agree with the whole 'noose' episode.. But the talent is there.

i agree that wallace is quite talented as a driver. i think he just needs a more cohesive team around him to really succeed.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree that wallace is quite talented as a driver. i think he just needs a more cohesive team around him to really succeed.

Yeah. Most of us here could probably go drive Gibbs equipment and be competitive in an Xfinity or Truck race. He won 5 races in it.

If he goes to either the 42 or 48.. He's going to be in competitive equipment. that'll be the tell of whether he's a talented CUP driver or not.

There's been many a talented driver who has done well in Xfinity/Trucks who flopped at the Cup level. He could possibly be one of those. But.. I think he's got the talent to make it in Cup. Probably never a superstar top-level driver.. But a solid, win you a few races a year in good equipment driver.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:36 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
actually the real tell is how well do they do in sub par equipment. for instance suarez was doing fairly well in his first two seasons in cup, but now he is a back marker along with jj yelley and others with the talent to run cup. anyone can run well in top notch equipment, it takes real talent to run well for the also ran teams. remember alan kulwicki? he ran well in his own equipment, and his team was a low budget team. he did well enough to win a driving championship in said sub par equipment. imagine kulwicki these days running for a top team like penske or jgr, or hendricks.i think if wallace gets into a sub par team, and can rin at least top 25 regularly, THEN he has the ability(as opposed to talent) to run cup at the top level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing