Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
It's impossible for us to tell how much of Vettel's steering input was solely to maintain control and rejoin the track and how much was intended to block Hamilton. The car-control skill of these drivers is so far beyond what we are capable of, or can even comprehend, we can't tell what was a correction and what was a move. IMO, it's possible that the big turn of the wheel to the right was intended solely to block, although it is possible it was just to avoid the wall. As I said we don't know. But the stewards, having more experience and possibly even being very successful drivers themselves, (Emanuelle Pirro was very successful in sports cars, I think) are more capable of judging steering inputs and what was necessary and what was extreme.

Here are the facts as I see them:
1. Vettel made a mistake and left the track.
2. He did not lift.
3. He rejoined the track and impeded another driver.
4. He was penalized for this.

Here's another fact, 3 former F1 champions, Andretti, Button and Mansell, not possibly but actually being very successful drivers themselves, have said the penalty was uncalled for as it was a racing incident, nothing more. And anyone who's watched F1 for any length of time has seen far worse go unpunished.

F1 is getting almost as bad as NASCAR when they took points earned on the track away from DE Jr. for something he said after the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
Agree 100%. After watching the incident and listening to the announcers and former drivers I think Rosberg has the most convincing argument. He’s raced with both of them and makes a solid point; if you don’t like the rule then change it.

I'll take the words of Andretti, Button, and Mansell who've all said the penalty was uncalled for anyday over Rosberg's. IMO Nico showed little of the passion of a true racer when he won a title and had no compulsion to return and defend it.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Bottom line from the officials point of view =Vettel is guilty of rejoining the circuit in an unsafe manner, as he was not in full control of his car, to the extent that he ran Hamilton off the road in an unsafe manner.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:49 PM

120 posts, read 65,421 times
He was traveling at about 160 MPH, lost the rear, went through the grass where its slick, and came away without hitting anything.
I think he did as good as he could.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM

287 posts, read 212,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
He was traveling at about 160 MPH, lost the rear, went through the grass where its slick, and came away without hitting anything.
I think he did as good as he could.
I smiled when I read your post. Vettel may have done as good as Vettel could do, but the whole idea is to stay on the pavement, avoid contact, be fast and don't impair anyone else. In F1 they don't give out prizes for Best Mistake, Best Dirt-Tracking Drive, Didn't Hit Anything or Came Really Close To Causing A Wreck But Was Saved By The Other Driver.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
I smiled when I read your post. Vettel may have done as good as Vettel could do, but the whole idea is to stay on the pavement, avoid contact, be fast and don't impair anyone else. In F1 they don't give out prizes for Best Mistake, Best Dirt-Tracking Drive, Didn't Hit Anything or Came Really Close To Causing A Wreck But Was Saved By The Other Driver.

But they do give out race wins arbitrarily.

Gotta wonder had Vettel had a bigger lead if it would've been 10 seconds?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Ferrari has apparently decided not to appeal the steward's ruling (they had a 96 hour time frame to do so). They still have a window to appeal IF they can provide "new, previously unseen" information to the stewards before June 21, the first day of practice at the French Grand Prix.

It doesn't seem to be the steward's greatest move, but I am pretty sure there have been worse decisions.

Also, from Alex Wurz, the head of the Grand Prix Driver's Association:

Quote:
“We want rules for each and every thing and that’s where we arrived. Each and everyone in the system who thinks this penalty is not justified is at fault because over the years, with all these incidents and cases, the drivers and team managers asked the FIA in the open way of discussion for clarification of what is allowed and not – down to millimetre and micrometer movements. I take part in all the drivers’ meetings. In this whole process over the years, that is where we arrived.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 06-13-2019 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 08:05 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Although I'm still not happy with the decision, here's a good video that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA3p...ature=youtu.be

Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,678,820 times
A lot of pro racers were not happy with the decision, including Jimmie Johnson:

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ve...ction/4461265/

Old 06-23-2019, 10:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Wow, the two lead cars lapped up to the 6th place finished today. Yikes, but there is a performance gap in F1 these days.

And, holy heck, stop talking about Canada and the stewards. What Perez did EASILY deserved a penalty - he left the track completely and gained 2 positions when he came back on. It doesn't matter that he followed the off-track route, you can't pass cars by going completely off track. He (or the team) should have known that he needed to give those 2 places back. That certainly would have been better than a 5 sec time penalty.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing