Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:32 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,191,064 times

Advertisements

Getting close to the start of the season. The hair on the back of my neck is starting to tingle.

Or maybe I have a rash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Want to watch all the practice session for the first Grand Prix of the year - get caught up on all the post-season events and testing? Better be prepared to do it on some fairly obscure channels or stream it on the internet.

Quote:
Rolex Australian Grand Prix (all times US Eastern)
Practice 1 - Thursday, March 14, 8:55 PM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, March 15, 12:55 AM - ESPNEWS
Practice 3 - Friday, March 15, 10:55 PM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, March 16, 1:55 AM - ESPN2
On The Grid - Sunday, March 17, 12:30 AM - ESPN
Race - Sunday, March 17, 1:00 AM - ESPN
I can get ESPN, ESPN2 but not any of the others. At least I can watch the livestream on the internet, since the Australian races are a reasonable time here (Pacific time).
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-04-2019 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: added time zone

Old 03-04-2019, 12:29 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,863,747 times
espn3 and news? Yipes. Do get the other 2 for the main racing fortunately.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM

949 posts, read 573,783 times
This season will be interesting. I cannot wait to watch.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
espn3 and news? Yipes. Do get the other 2 for the main racing fortunately.
You'd have thought that for the first race of the season we'd get a little more expanded coverage - features on rules changes, car changes, new drivers, new car color schemes, off season news and gossip. Apparently not.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:32 AM

287 posts, read 212,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Want to watch all the practice session for the first Grand Prix of the year - get caught up on all the post-season events and testing? Better be prepared to do it on some fairly obscure channels or stream it on the internet.

I can get ESPN, ESPN2 but not any of the others. At least I can watch the livestream on the internet, since the Australian races are a reasonable time here (Pacific time).
My DirecTV recording to do list shows Practice 2 being shown on ESPN starting at 10pm on 3/14 and P3 on ESPN starting at 8pm Friday 3/15. All times PST. I can't find P1 on any broadcast channels, which is too bad, since that's where many of the changes and updates are typically discussed.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
My DirecTV recording to do list shows Practice 2 being shown on ESPN starting at 10pm on 3/14 and P3 on ESPN starting at 8pm Friday 3/15. All times PST. I can't find P1 on any broadcast channels, which is too bad, since that's where many of the changes and updates are typically discussed.
Lol, I got that list off ESPN's page directly, you'd think they'd know when they are airing things. Perhaps not. Let me check again ..... nope, same thing, but the last page update is also Feb 26.

Edit1: the 10 am showing is a repeat, apparently, not the live showing, which would be 1am Eastern, 11pm Pacific. The ESPN schedule only shows live broadcasts.

But that does point out a problem with bouncing things around all their various channels - for the races which are on at what are for me odd times, I rely on my DirecTV DVR. In past years there have been MANY times when I ended up with hours of recordings of sports I don't care about because what I wanted got bumped to a "lesser" channel. FOX was particularly bad about it, but I suspect ESPN will be just as bad, particularly since they might not be getting the ad revenue they get with other broadcasts.

Edit2: the site https://www.tvracer.com/ shows some airtimes. There used to be a dedicated open-wheel site that had all the race times, I don't think it exists anymore. Anyone else have any links to sites like that?

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-06-2019 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 05:04 PM

287 posts, read 212,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But that does point out a problem with bouncing things around all their various channels - for the races which are on at what are for me odd times, I rely on my DirecTV DVR. In past years there have been MANY times when I ended up with hours of recordings of sports I don't care about because what I wanted got bumped to a "lesser" channel. FOX was particularly bad about it, but I suspect ESPN will be just as bad, particularly since they might not be getting the ad revenue they get with other broadcasts.
I agree, but don't know how to encourage the networks to plan ahead and adhere to the schedule. To try and compensate, for F1, I now have recordings set up for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ABC. For IMSA and IndyCar, I have them set for NBCSports, NBC and just saw that part of the 12 Hours of Sebring will be on CNBC. For Fox, I used to have FS1, FS2 and Fox defined. So I've used almost half my "season pass" capacity just to cover all the bases. I put all the races in my calendar, so I can browse all the channels to catch the air times, but that won't cover last minute changes. And the last minute changes are never reflected in the channel guide, so my auto-record selections won't help there either. Maybe the schedule will clear up as we get closer.

And I also agree that ESPN may not be committed to F1, especially since many of the broadcasts are shown commercial-free. The fan base in the US is too small, because, as Bernie so famously put it: "All American sports have time-outs built in, mainly because American audiences can’t concentrate. They grow up with everything in 15-minute segments on TV. People are the same everywhere now.” Never mind that many of the races during his era were nothing more than high-speed parade laps with very little passing and everyone on the same strategy.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:47 PM

949 posts, read 573,783 times
I watch the replays of practice and qualifying on ESPN2. I have noticed that in my area the replays are all on ESPN2.
I try and watch the races live, but the early ones can play havoc on my schedule, so those I watch the of replay too.
ESPN should be committed to F1. If they can find time and money for the spelling bee, they can buy the F1 rights.
The ESPN original core was showing all sports across the US.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:25 PM

The new Netflix series about the 2018 season is pretty interesting. Definitely worth watching. A lot of behind the scenes stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing