Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
That’s just a silly comment. NASCAR recently raced at Sonoma and multiple cars were bumped, banged, and just plain run off the track. No penalties.
I think closed-wheel cars are built sturdier and can survive the taps and hits, although at Sonoma it looked like some deliberate attempts to tag the back end of the leading car and spin it and the SotM allowed it.

And while F1 has a problem with inequality in the teams (I think Verstappen lapped up to 8th place or thereabouts - of course it IS a very short track) at least they don't artificially stop the race every 20-30 laps and let the field bunch up again. Other than a chance to distribute even more points and make race scoring more obtuse, I have no idea what the point of race "stages" is.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 12:50 AM

5,467 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
And while F1 has a problem with inequality in the teams (I think Verstappen lapped up to 8th place or thereabouts - of course it IS a very short track) .....
Actually, he lapped up to 5th place, including his teammate who has really been performing poorly.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No, it's not silly. Perhaps NASCAR is different now, but back when I used to watch, you couldn't just run cars off the track. Each car is entitled to a racing line when cars are side by side -- you can't just force a car off the track and then claim to simply be defending your line.

I'm almost 60 and have watched NASCAR for a vast majority of that. I'd like to know at what time frame NASCAR penalized racers anywhere close to what F1 does. It's only this year that they started taking race places away from cars that were obviously cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But at least AFAIK, F1 hasn't taken race points away from a driver for something they said on the podium.
Not here to defend NASCAR. They've made more than their fair share of stupid decisions. But the original post was just silliness. NASCAR drivers have used their front bumper to move cars since the beginning of racing. And I've watched, in person, drivers nudge competitors to the side at Talledega at 200 mph.

Quote:
I think closed-wheel cars are built sturdier and can survive the taps and hits, although at Sonoma it looked like some deliberate attempts to tag the back end of the leading car and spin it and the SotM allowed it.

And while F1 has a problem with inequality in the teams (I think Verstappen lapped up to 8th place or thereabouts - of course it IS a very short track) at least they don't artificially stop the race every 20-30 laps and let the field bunch up again. Other than a chance to distribute even more points and make race scoring more obtuse, I have no idea what the point of race "stages" is.
Again, not trying to defend NASCAR. But, given the rulings between the two sanctioning bodies, I'll go with NASCAR every time. Drivers intentionally wreck each other and suffer no other consequence than having to visit the NASCAR trailer after the race.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:49 PM

Okay, US-based F1 watchers, trying to find a way to record F1 races without using cable TV. Watching live doesn't cut it, as I am not willing to stay up in to the middle of the night to watch the majority of races. I like to watch my F1 races at a comfortable 7 in the morning, Pacific time, suitably fortified with an espresso. Or a mimosa, as need be.

What service do you use to watch with?

Old 07-02-2019, 07:01 PM

ESPN 3 maybe?

Old 07-03-2019, 06:06 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Okay, US-based F1 watchers, trying to find a way to record F1 races without using cable TV. Watching live doesn't cut it, as I am not willing to stay up in to the middle of the night to watch the majority of races. I like to watch my F1 races at a comfortable 7 in the morning, Pacific time, suitably fortified with an espresso. Or a mimosa, as need be.

What service do you use to watch with?

How have you been watching it live without cable?

Old 07-03-2019, 06:08 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Again, not trying to defend NASCAR. But, given the rulings between the two sanctioning bodies, I'll go with NASCAR every time. Drivers intentionally wreck each other and suffer no other consequence than having to visit the NASCAR trailer after the race.

And you consider a high-end demolition derby to be a good thing because?

Old 07-03-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
How have you been watching it live without cable?
I currently have cable and want to get rid of it. I could also watch it live via the ESPN app on Amazon Prime, but I can't record it by that method. Looking at Sling, Hulu and a few others, all of which have questionable Cloud DVR that only records some stations.

I was just hoping that someone where had already solved this problem, lol. Back to the discussion of racing....

Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
And you consider a high-end demolition derby to be a good thing because?
Why do people insist on taking things to the absurd, illogical extent of the opposite?

No one wants a demolition derby. But, as posted earlier, bumping and rubbing is racing. F1's attempt to legislate that out of racing seems to be affecting the quality of the product and thus, viewership. Indycar did the same thing as F1, but now has moved back from rulings in most cases, except for the most egregious.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I currently have cable and want to get rid of it. I could also watch it live via the ESPN app on Amazon Prime, but I can't record it by that method. Looking at Sling, Hulu and a few others, all of which have questionable Cloud DVR that only records some stations.

I was just hoping that someone where had already solved this problem, lol.
Amazon makes a DVR. It's a bit expensive and I honestly have no idea how it works, but it may be an option.

We tried the DirecTV Now service and found the DVR seriously lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing