Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 01:13 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,298,210 times

Advertisements

No matter what.. And I don't think anyone disagrees that Petty's mark of 200 Cup wins is far bigger and will never be broken, not by Busch or anyone else.

But, 200 overall NASCAR top series wins is still massively impressive. especially when you consider, the next active driver is likely Harvick at 106.

I can't find Busch's schedule, but.. I mean, he can win at any race upcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
I don't get it at all. He has 94 Xfinity wins and 54 truck wins. That's like Clayton Kershaw going to AA and counting his stats.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I don't get it at all. He has 94 Xfinity wins and 54 truck wins. That's like Clayton Kershaw going to AA and counting his stats.

Sam Ard won 2 Busch championships.. So, those don't count?

Randy Lajoie won 2.. Those don't count, either?

The record is for most wins across the top three series. So, wins from all three count.

It's a distinct record from Petty's 200 Cup wins.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:34 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Sam Ard won 2 Busch championships.. So, those don't count? Randy Lajoie won 2.. Those don't count, either?
Apples and oranges. Sam Ard only ever made one Winston start. He made his mark in Busch. Randy Lajoie did some time in Cup, but never sniffed a win. Sure I give them credit for their accomplishments in Busch, but I don't think it's relevant. Busch is a Cup champion who drives better equipment than almost all in the trucks and a good portion of Xfinity. It just doesn't impress me much. Especially the trucks.

Quote:
The record is for most wins across the top three series. So, wins from all three count.
I'd be very impressed if Busch did it in steps, from Truck, to Xfinity, to Cup.

Quote:
It's a distinct record from Petty's 200 Cup wins.
One of my favorite all time drivers was Mark Martin. But once he made it to the big time, he shouldn't have gone back to the minors to drive. And he drove there a lot.

I've been a NASCAR fan since a friend took me to meet Bud Moore in Spartanburg in the 70s. And the discussion of cup drivers in Busch has been going for years. Count me on the side of those who think you shouldn't drive the lower classes after you make the big time. And you and I both know this issue is still discussed by other folks than me and you.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:14 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
. Count me on the side of those who think you shouldn't drive the lower classes after you make the big time. And you and I both know this issue is still discussed by other folks than me and you.
Currently Kyle Busch is one of the few NASCAR champions currently doing so. Driving all 3 in a weekend (and winning all 3) doesn't seem to phase him on Sunday.

I'm not a big fan of seeing guys like Kyle in the lower series. You pretty much know that they are going to dominate the race they are in. I can understand some junior Cup drivers wanting to get some more track time in on Saturday, not sure how much that helps since the cars are vastly different in each series.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Currently Kyle Busch is one of the few NASCAR champions currently doing so. Driving all 3 in a weekend (and winning all 3) doesn't seem to phase him on Sunday.

I'm not a big fan of seeing guys like Kyle in the lower series. You pretty much know that they are going to dominate the race they are in. I can understand some junior Cup drivers wanting to get some more track time in on Saturday, not sure how much that helps since the cars are vastly different in each series.
There are basically two teams that dominate in Xfinity.. Penske and Gibbs. I mean, just about anyone put in a Gibbs car wins. Not to the extent of Kyle Busch, but.. You have to about go back to JJ Yeley to find someone who drove more than 3 races in a Gibbs Xfinity car who didn't win.

Those two teams won 15 of 33 races. You have a smattering of wins from JR Motorsports, Ganassi and SHR. Outside of those 5 teams, 1 win for GMS, 1 win for RCR.

I think it really is less about keeping drivers out of the series, you really want to change it, keep the cup teams out. Make that 4 car limit across all series.

Of course, then you'll just have satellite teams, which may or may not really be any different. After all, KBM is an independent team, technically.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:16 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
There are basically two teams that dominate in Xfinity.. Penske and Gibbs. I mean, just about anyone put in a Gibbs car wins. Not to the extent of Kyle Busch, but.. You have to about go back to JJ Yeley to find someone who drove more than 3 races in a Gibbs Xfinity car who didn't win.

Those two teams won 15 of 33 races. You have a smattering of wins from JR Motorsports, Ganassi and SHR. Outside of those 5 teams, 1 win for GMS, 1 win for RCR.

I think it really is less about keeping drivers out of the series, you really want to change it, keep the cup teams out. Make that 4 car limit across all series.

Of course, then you'll just have satellite teams, which may or may not really be any different. After all, KBM is an independent team, technically.
True, plus Kyle could just drive his own car (satellite).

Really not much NASCAR can do. Kyle just LOVES to drive and compete. Can't blame him for that, but I do think it hurts the lower series a bit.

Kyle is basically a heavy weight in the light weight division.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
True, plus Kyle could just drive his own car (satellite).

Really not much NASCAR can do. Kyle just LOVES to drive and compete. Can't blame him for that, but I do think it hurts the lower series a bit.

Kyle is basically a heavy weight in the light weight division.

actually having the cup drivers in the lower series helps the lower series. it adds fans to the seats, and it gives the up and comers a taste of what they have to face when they get to the upper series.

the only reason this is even an issue is because there were a couple of drivers, carl edwards and brad K, that had a real chance to win the championships in both the xfiniti and monster energy cup series a number of years back. i believe it was in 2007. right after that season the powers that be decided that a driver had to declare what series he was going to compete in primarily.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually having the cup drivers in the lower series helps the lower series. it adds fans to the seats, and it gives the up and comers a taste of what they have to face when they get to the upper series.

the only reason this is even an issue is because there were a couple of drivers, carl edwards and brad K, that had a real chance to win the championships in both the xfiniti and monster energy cup series a number of years back. i believe it was in 2007. right after that season the powers that be decided that a driver had to declare what series he was going to compete in primarily.

Well, Edwards, Keselowski, Busch, Bowyer and Harvick DID win championships while being full time Cup drivers. That was kinda the impetus for the 'declaring' edict, which was then followed by the ~7 race maximum.

You really have to go back to 2000 for the last time that an actual Xfinity/Busch series team won the championship. Jeff Green with ppc.

and.. That's kinda the saddest part to me. The Cup teams going down there and taking it over.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Well, Edwards, Keselowski, Busch, Bowyer and Harvick DID win championships while being full time Cup drivers. That was kinda the impetus for the 'declaring' edict, which was then followed by the ~7 race maximum.

You really have to go back to 2000 for the last time that an actual Xfinity/Busch series team won the championship. Jeff Green with ppc.

and.. That's kinda the saddest part to me. The Cup teams going down there and taking it over.

you missed my point, what nascar was trying to prevent, and what i think is quite wrong by the way, is one driver wining both the xfiniti AND monster energy cup championships in the SAME season. carl edwards and brad k were the only two that even came close to doing that before nascar changed the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing