Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 01:03 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Once football season rolls around.. Get you a GPS Spoofer app.. It's amazing how I wind up in the suburbs of DC every Sunday during football season..
More info please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 04:01 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
More info please.

youtube TV shows local stations based on your location.

So, When I'm home, here in the upstate of SC.. I get WYFF, WSPA, WJLA and WHNS (NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox respectively)

However, if i'm in DC, or the GPS from my phone SAYS i'm in DC.. Then I receive WRC, WJLA, WUSA and WTTG, which are the local DC NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox stations, respectively.

During football season.. The games here are generally the Panthers, followed by the Falcons, followed by the Steelers. Those three teams generally have to NOT be playing for me to see the Redskins.

So.. A GPS spoofer allows me to select where my phone GPS says I am, and can therefore tune in to a local market station to view the NFL games I want to see.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:36 PM

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 AM

5,243 posts, read 6,164,594 times
Like a broken record and beating a dead horse it is what it is, I still think NASCAR is dying or taking the path that our generation is and fading away.

I have mentioned in the past that I am in the south in manufacturing, twenty years ago at work my generation was beside themselves with NASCAR gear and NASCAR talk on Fridays and Monday's. They even had a pool for the races each weekend.

Fast forward today and no one at work talks about NASCAR. I am but a small percentage now in my age group (soon to be 59) at work and I can tell you none of the Gen Xers or millennials ever mention NASCAR at work.

Seriously maybe tongue and cheek, but I don't think you can revive it unless you can bring in Vince McMahon and let him turn the races into some sort of Road Warrior or Death Race 2000 scenario as crazy as this sounds.

As far as Jimmy is concerned, like little E and the rest, change can be good and you can adapt, but with NASCAR not having any vision of their future, change can be futile in some eyes.

It was not that long ago that sponsors threw themselves at teams to cover an entire car........now a lot of these owners are battling for sponsorship on sections of their cars.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 AM

Anyone here actually at the Vegas race? I noted the TV coverage did the zoom in on the stands instead of the panorama view. I can tell you, Daytona was packed.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Anyone here actually at the Vegas race? I noted the TV coverage did the zoom in on the stands instead of the panorama view. I can tell you, Daytona was packed.
The Vegas stands appeared to be packed, it was a bit hard to tell as they multi colored the seats at Daytona. This was from watching both on TV.

I enjoyed the Daytona race more than Vegas.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:47 AM

Seems like Roger Penske is stepping up to the plate with seeking a quicker path to Gen 7 cars.

They need to hurry up and set something in stone as I feel two years might be to late.

As far as adding tracks and tweeking the schedule I don't see that accomplishing much.

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-pensk...211247237.html

Old 03-09-2019, 03:15 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Like a broken record and beating a dead horse it is what it is, I still think NASCAR is dying or taking the path that our generation is and fading away.

I have mentioned in the past that I am in the south in manufacturing, twenty years ago at work my generation was beside themselves with NASCAR gear and NASCAR talk on Fridays and Monday's. They even had a pool for the races each weekend.

Fast forward today and no one at work talks about NASCAR. I am but a small percentage now in my age group (soon to be 59) at work and I can tell you none of the Gen Xers or millennials ever mention NASCAR at work.

Seriously maybe tongue and cheek, but I don't think you can revive it unless you can bring in Vince McMahon and let him turn the races into some sort of Road Warrior or Death Race 2000 scenario as crazy as this sounds.

As far as Jimmy is concerned, like little E and the rest, change can be good and you can adapt, but with NASCAR not having any vision of their future, change can be futile in some eyes.

It was not that long ago that sponsors threw themselves at teams to cover an entire car........now a lot of these owners are battling for sponsorship on sections of their cars.
I personally think NASCAR is a victim of a double edged sword. The moving away of the Southern heritage of the sport turned off a lot of fans. The history of the Southern heritage of the sport turns off a lot of potential younger fans.

One illustration as an example was when the car of tomorrow was introduced to Daytona and Talladega and it sounded different. When I was a fan, I’d get super excited and watch a whole superspeedway race for that sound of pre-COT cars. With the COT taking away that sound and the tandem racing, that was a wrap for me and my NASCAR fandom.

The drivers are also just not people you feel emotionally inclined to invest in. With the days of Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, and Dale Earnhardt gone, just not very exciting people behind the wheel save for Kyle Busch and Brad Keslowski on occasion.

I know NASCAR is trying but the product is just not one that is going to lend itself to new younger fans or keep older fans entertained.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I personally think NASCAR is a victim of a double edged sword. The moving away of the Southern heritage of the sport turned off a lot of fans. The history of the Southern heritage of the sport turns off a lot of potential younger fans.

One illustration as an example was when the car of tomorrow was introduced to Daytona and Talladega and it sounded different. When I was a fan, I’d get super excited and watch a whole superspeedway race for that sound of pre-COT cars. With the COT taking away that sound and the tandem racing, that was a wrap for me and my NASCAR fandom.

The drivers are also just not people you feel emotionally inclined to invest in. With the days of Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, and Dale Earnhardt gone, just not very exciting people behind the wheel save for Kyle Busch and Brad Keslowski on occasion.

I know NASCAR is trying but the product is just not one that is going to lend itself to new younger fans or keep older fans entertained.

All excellent observations. The fact that NASCAR can't bridge the gap between we Baby Boomers and those potential younger fans will most likely lead to a much smaller fan base in the future. It won't be tommorrow but it is coming.

I attended the Cars and Coffee at the Concours d'Elegance here on Amelia Island yesterday and while the event is high end the Cars and Coffee had always been open to local entrants and as well as when we have our local get together in Jacksonvile. I am starting to notice the age of the most of the participants is rapidly turning into those in their late 50's, 60's and 70's. I can honestly say those in their twentys and thirty's represented less than 20% of the crowd yesterday. The same with our annual vintage motorcycle show. I am always wondering who is going to take over these cars and the auto hobby.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
More info please.
Although I haven't tried it yet, a VPN will also allow you to spoof your location to the streaming service so you can watch local TV in that market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing