Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 12:34 PM

5,677 posts, read 5,903,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
^The advantage of being the owner, they survive no problem.

Bummed I miss the road race and Chase's win. Good for him!
Been done before.

Missed seeing him win, but hey, I was planning my trip to Daytona next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,310,890 times
Quote:
^The advantage of being the owner, they survive no problem.

Tell that to Jeremy Mayfield..

But.. I didn't know about this, but apparently in the 90's, Brian France was in the Betty Ford Clinic. He was nearly arrested for DUI in Florida in 2006 or so.. They've done a heck of a job burying some of these other stories about him.

Listed owners of NASCAR are Lesa France Kennedy and Jim France. Supposedly Brian sold out a few years back and is nothing more than an employee.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:23 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,864,921 times
Mayfield was a driver not an owner. I suppose technically BF isn't an owner but same difference. He only goes because the family decides nascar is in the dumps and it's his fault, not a DWI. He'd survive that no problem as he has in the past. Now will this be a good opportunity to get rid of him and nascar. That's the question.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,428,499 times
I havent watched since Dale was killed. Jr carried on, and was the most popular for years, winning or not. But NASCAR without an Earnhardt, its an empty sport.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I havent watched since Dale was killed. Jr carried on, and was the most popular for years, winning or not. But NASCAR without an Earnhardt, its an empty sport.

many years ago i used to wonder what nascar would look like without the likes of earnhardt, petty, yarborough, pearson, the allisons, the waltrips, and many other drivers that made the sport what it is today. and what i realized is that there will always be drivers that step up and push the sport further along. today we have drivers like the busch brothers, bradk, joey logano, kevin harvick, chase elliot, daniel suarez, among others.

nothing lasts forever, no one drives forever. drivers are going to retire, so we as fans have to let them go and move on to the new drivers. if we cant do that, then perhaps nascar should go away.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Mayfield was a driver not an owner. I suppose technically BF isn't an owner but same difference. He only goes because the family decides nascar is in the dumps and it's his fault, not a DWI. He'd survive that no problem as he has in the past. Now will this be a good opportunity to get rid of him and nascar. That's the question.

Mayfield was a driver/owner at the time, just for clarity. Not saying the situations are identical, but. Remember he had started his own team in.. 2009 or whenever that all happened. They wound up trying to make the race at Charlotte after his suspension and had to list his wife as the team owner. If I recall, JJ Yeley attempted to qualify the car, failed to make the race and it basically shuttered after that.

The interesting thing.. Mayfield called in to NASCAR Live when Brian France was a guest and they had a... discussion.. about his situation. Where France was adamant that he complete the Road to Recovery, just like anyone else in the sport.

But I absolutely think that NASCAR should have put out a release alongside the time they announced his 'leave of absence' stating that he would have to go through the Road to Recovery program. I think that would have strengthened the program immeasurably. What driver/crew member/whatever could argue against the program ever again if even the CEO has to go through it?

Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,699,570 times
The Brian France arrest was like a surprise motar attack on an unsuspecting NASCAR which now has them scrambling to figure out their response.
It might be a while before we get the bottom line results.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
so kevin harvick wins race number seven this season and leads the points. bradk finished second and kyle busch ended up third. austin dillon fell to fourth after running second for several laps when he thought he had a tire going down.

i liked kevin letting his kid get the checkered flag and riding to victory lane on the victory lap, and then taking the bottle of water and wetting down josh jones, that was funny. jones wanted keelan to wet down his father.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so kevin harvick wins race number seven this season and leads the points. bradk finished second and kyle busch ended up third. austin dillon fell to fourth after running second for several laps when he thought he had a tire going down.

i liked kevin letting his kid get the checkered flag and riding to victory lane on the victory lap, and then taking the bottle of water and wetting down josh jones, that was funny. jones wanted keelan to wet down his father.

I suspect there will be a rule about anyone riding in or on the car by next week.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:57 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,844,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

It was a boring race compared to last week at Watkins Glenn (which was nearly sold out).

I don't see why MIS needs two races. This is discussed here often and the attendance numbers coincide with the fact that one race is enough due to the lack of interest. (I realize who owns this track).

Even after MIS downsized it's capacity, it can't fill the seats it has for either race. Looks like about a third of the seats were sold for Sunday's race. If a track can't fill the seats, it doesn't need a second race.

It's time for NASCAR to revisit contracts and cut the season down to about 30 races. Some have called for even more of a cut, possibly even 24.

Here is an interesting article on that: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecal.../#5ba85d30737c

The author suggested this schedule and also suggested eliminating the Chase, since it was desinged to keep fans interested during the long summer stretch. With less races, there wouldn't be a "interest drought" and each race would be more competitive with sell-outs more likely:

Quote:
Just for fun, this year’s 24-race Cup schedule might have looked like this:

Feb. 18--Daytona; Feb. 25--Homestead; March 4--Atlanta; March 11--Las Vegas; March 18--Phoenix; March 25--California; April 8--Texas; April 15--Martinsville; April 21--Richmond; April 28--Talladega; May 6--Dover; May 12--Kansas.

May 27--Coca-Cola 600; June 3--Pocono; June 10--Michigan; June 24--Sonoma; July 1--Chicagoland; July 14--Kentucky; July 22--New Hampshire; Aug. 5--Watkins Glen; Aug. 12--Charlotte Roval; Aug. 18--Bristol; Aug. 26--Indianapolis; Sept. 2--Darlington.
I realize there are cons...such as a track and community relying on the money that two races a year can bring in. But I rather have 72,000 fans at one race than two races with about 30k each. Holding two races has to be very expensive as well, especially to the teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing