Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,864,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
ESPN would be foolish not to bring Hobbs and Matchett back and I'd be very happy if they added Varsha to the team, those three were my favorite race broadcast team ever and that's going back to watching an an hour and twenty minutes of Sumo wrestling and Tiddlywinks to see ten minutes of Monaco on Wide World of Sports.

Of course if James Hunt was still with us I'd be happy to have his commentary as well.
Agreed! Hobbs, Matchett, and Varsha were a joy to listen to. They made me watch races I was so-so about.

From the awfully written CNN but news anyway.

Formula One unveils plans for new louder engines - CNN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,844,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Streaming feed does not work for me personally. I like my F1 with a hot cup of coffee and a doughnut at Sunday midmorning.
Yes, much as I like F1, I am not getting up at 3 or 4 am to watch the majority of races. I need to be able to record for watching later - and WITHOUT going up on a website that will spoil the race results.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 AM

5,468 posts, read 8,196,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Agreed! Hobbs, Matchett, and Varsha were a joy to listen to. They made me watch races I was so-so about.

It should say "Liberty Media proposes new engine plan for Formula 1." It's only a proposal.

Mercedes if very much against it. Previously Ferrari said the power units should remain very complicated. The lower budget teams are very much for it.

There will be many more meetings.

Liberty Media is learning that it's not easy to "make F1 better for the fans."

Old 11-01-2017, 09:27 AM

68,342 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post

Disappointing to hear they're keeping the V-6s, IMO it should be up to the engine builders whether they choose one whopping big single or a V-16, and personally, I wish they'd drop the hybrid part of the program and go to a pure IC engine. They say they want to control cost and I have to believe dropping the hybrid requirement would immediately slash cost a good bit.

Now that I think of it I'd like to hear F1's justification for having cars so potentially dangerous the crew must radio a driver with instructions on how to exit a failed car as was the case with Hulkenberg recently. What happens should the radio fail? Many years ago there was a well known race car tagged Ol' Yeller, I'd really hate to see the day one becomes known as Ol' Sparky.

Last edited by burdell; 11-01-2017 at 10:39 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 06:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Yes, much as I like F1, I am not getting up at 3 or 4 am to watch the majority of races. I need to be able to record for watching later - and WITHOUT going up on a website that will spoil the race results.
I always record the races so i can ff through the boring bits which happens to be most of the race. takes me about 20 minutes to watch an f1 race.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:37 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,538,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I always record the races so i can ff through the boring bits which happens to be most of the race. takes me about 20 minutes to watch an f1 race.
So what is your source for all the background information and behind the scenes activities? If you don't hear about it the sport is no more interesting than beach volleyball = something nice to look at.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:09 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,555,409 times
Quote:
Disappointing to hear they're keeping the V-6s, IMO it should be up to the engine builders whether they choose one whopping big single or a V-16, and personally, I wish they'd drop the hybrid part of the program and go to a pure IC engine. They say they want to control cost and I have to believe dropping the hybrid requirement would immediately slash cost a good bit.
The problem is, ICE's are on the way out. Manufacturers want to develop electric drive. An F1 car with only an ICE is like a stock car with a carbureted V8 (yes, I know they run EFI now. 20 years after everyone's street car had it).

As much as I miss the V10 days, the hybrid stuff is what keeps the series relevant, as far as the manufacturers are concerned. There's a reason they are crawling all over Formula E.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:40 AM

68,342 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
The problem is, ICE's are on the way out. Manufacturers want to develop electric drive. An F1 car with only an ICE is like a stock car with a carbureted V8 (yes, I know they run EFI now. 20 years after everyone's street car had it).

As much as I miss the V10 days, the hybrid stuff is what keeps the series relevant, as far as the manufacturers are concerned. There's a reason they are crawling all over Formula E.

Looking at boating and aviation, I don't see ICEs going the way of the Dodo anytime soon. And if relevance to road cars is to be a driving force to F1 regs, why are things like ABS, traction control, et al, common in road cars, banned in F1?

I can see endurance racing being a great proving ground for hybrids but with GPs limited to a 2 hour duration it really doesn't seem much of a test. We already have FormulaE, I think we need to keep a class where racing is its number one purpose and there's no pretense of anything else..

Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,538,511 times
Quote:
Looking at boating and aviation, I don't see ICEs going the way of the Dodo anytime soon<>
I can see endurance racing being a great proving ground for hybrids but with GPs limited to a 2 hour duration it really doesn't seem much of a test.<>
All good points in the discussion.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,555,409 times
Give it time. I didn't say it'd happen overnight.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...-times-goodbye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing