Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 04:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I appreciate Gene Haas not yanking Kurt out of the car until this thing is sorted out. Far to many knee jerk reactions these days by chicken s**t sports team owners more concerned about image as opposed to proof.
The problem is the image is the selling point. If NASCAR does nothing g should something come out damning come out, cousto ers will force sponsors to say i'll eave the sport just like the NFL with Rice and the other domestic violence issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,784 times
I hate what Newman did to advance... but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. So I guess I'll be rooting for Harvick at Homestead.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:21 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
I hate what Newman did to advance... but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. So I guess I'll be rooting for Harvick at Homestead.
I wonder how Larson feels about it.. I don't think Newman was very proud of it from the post race interview but I certainly don't hold it against him. The problem now is, what if Newman wins the Championship next week and doesn't win the race.. there has never been a NASCAR Champion without a single win all season... that would be horrible for NASCAR!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:41 PM

5,132 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Not really happy with the new format but if it keeps the sport vibrant and the masses love it so be it.

Richard Petty and Dale Earnhart are lucky to have won their championships with consistency and determination.......I wonder how they would have made out with the new format and such fragile cars that things like tires and splitters play such a pivotal part of the races!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I wonder how Larson feels about it.. I don't think Newman was very proud of it from the post race interview but I certainly don't hold it against him. The problem now is, what if Newman wins the Championship next week and doesn't win the race.. there has never been a NASCAR Champion without a single win all season... that would be horrible for NASCAR!
Oh boo hoo NASCAR. I shed no tears for the David Ragan strawman that was thrown around last year to bring about the new chase (Brian Vickers was only part-time in Cup and more full-time in Nationwide so he couldn't be in the chase.) What if Amarola or Allmendinger won their once race yet was consistently bad otherwise but yet did well enough to advance every round once getting into the finals.

I honestly want this egg on their face and wanted it from day one of the announcement.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,725,190 times
I'm done with Na$car. Once they changed the original points system years ago I always said that whoever won the championship should have an * by their name. I say that because they change the rules every year and being a champion means nothing now a days. Rolling wrestling....

Old 11-09-2014, 09:11 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is the image is the selling point. If NASCAR does nothing g should something come out damning come out, cousto ers will force sponsors to say i'll eave the sport just like the NFL with Rice and the other domestic violence issues.
Rice was different as there was video of the assault. At this point with Kurt its only allegations and I'm sure if something comes of the allegations Haas and/or NASCAR will take action then. That's why I agree with Haas' current position.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Rice was different as there was video of the assault. At this point with Kurt its only allegations and I'm sure if something comes of the allegations Haas and/or NASCAR will take action then. That's why I agree with Haas' current position.
I agree but the issue was with the three other domestic assaults and Adrian Peterson, they all happened around the same time as the Rice situation so there was four black eyes on the sport one is in court, one did but the video wasn't there, the others are different with Drywer of the Cardinals being suspended by the Cards and the league while awaiting trial and Hardy facing appeal but was suspended. Kurt Busch is still innocent in this case though personally I do think he has mental issues due to his past and so needs to be treated as such.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
No Rick Hendrick owned cars (except for Harvick) in the final four. I see a format change again coming for next season.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:39 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Quote:
yep, W is right. in the case of the nfl players, there was actual evidence that something happened. unless i missed something, in the bush case, its a he said she said deal, with no other evidence. at that point i becomes a sour grapes thing where she is pissed because they are not together anymore, or he wont give her what she wants to go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
cry me a river. that kind of thing has been going on in nascar since its inception, and auto racing in general forever. we call that rubbing, and rubbing is racing. as rusty wallace noted, eight tires grip better than four. and you can bet that had the roles been reversed, larson would have done the exact same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Not really happy with the new format but if it keeps the sport vibrant and the masses love it so be it.

Richard Petty and Dale Earnhart are lucky to have won their championships with consistency and determination.......I wonder how they would have made out with the new format and such fragile cars that things like tires and splitters play such a pivotal part of the races!
petty and earnhardt would still have done just as well, assuming the format was instituted in their prime, because these guys know how to drive a race car with no aero devices, and they never quit.

look how many times earnhardt for instance won races with race cars that had a fair amount of damage on them, or won championships because he drove race cars in some races that were so tore up that other drivers would have parked the cars. and petty tended to run upfront all race long and stay out of trouble for the most part.

as for the championship format, every nascar format has always rewarded consistency over the entire season, as does every championship format in any racing series, this year a little more emphasis was put on winning races with this format. this format however is much better than in years past because in this format four drivers have a real shot at the championship in the final race as opposed to two at most normally, and in this one the winning driver has to finish ahead of the others. remember in years past where the champion could finish in a certain position and win the championship regardless of where the second place driver finished. how many times did you watch championship seasons in the past where the champion only had to finish 18th to win the championship? and that driver would finish like 15th where as the championship runner up would go out and win the race and lead the most laps for that race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing