Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times

Advertisements

I know Daytona is the "Superbowl of NASCAR" but bare with me on this.
The first race of the season should be at Homestead because the weather is better there in Feb than it is at Daytona.
The last race of the season should be the Superbowl of NASCAR and it should be at Daytona because the weather is better in Nov. than it is in Feb. in Daytona.( top 43 in points, no outsiders or one race only teams)

Arrange the rest of the schedule based on best possible weather condition with the least amount of travel.

Us race fans should not have to sit in 50 degree temp to watch races, leave that for the tough Football fans.

BTW replace the Feb Daytona 500 with the Rolex 24 hrs slightly better weather in Feb than Jan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I know Daytona is the "Superbowl of NASCAR" but bare with me on this.
The first race of the season should be at Homestead because the weather is better there in Feb than it is at Daytona.
The last race of the season should be the Superbowl of NASCAR and it should be at Daytona because the weather is better in Nov. than it is in Feb. in Daytona.( top 43 in points, no outsiders or one race only teams)

Arrange the rest of the schedule based on best possible weather condition with the least amount of travel.

Us race fans should not have to sit in 50 degree temp to watch races, leave that for the tough Football fans.

BTW replace the Feb Daytona 500 with the Rolex 24 hrs slightly better weather in Feb than Jan.
Here's my problems with that.
1) 24 hours is not as much of a draw and plus they can run in the rain unlike NASCAR. Also some of the appeal is the NASCAR drivers doing that which they couldn't do if Homestead was that weekend too.
2) Moving the Daytona 500 to the end of the year is like making the May Darlington race the Southern 500, it's in name only.
3) You would need to move Dega out of the chase. Two plate races in the chase is a little too much IMO.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Yep; the motorcycle races get more attention. than 24 hrs now days, Keep Daytona 500 as is first race. There isn't meant to be any Superbowl as its a season long series. Perhaps that is the problem; they are trying to make one. Too much into making all racing a exhibition now days; IMO.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Daytona 500 is not just the superbowl race for NASCAR it also caps off Speedweeks.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:03 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Daytona 500 is not just the superbowl race for NASCAR it also caps off Speedweeks.
NASCAR is the only sport that has the "Grand Finale" to start the season. By the time Homestead rolls around the Championship is pretty much determined and many have lost interest after such a long season.
I would prefer to see the biggest race at the end of the season. JMO

Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,450 times
Quote:
NASCAR is the only sport that has the "Grand Finale" to start the season. By the time Homestead rolls around the Championship is pretty much determined and many have lost interest after such a long season.
I will reserve judgment for the end of this NASCAR with the new Chase format, but I get exactly what you are saying. The end of the NASCAR season needs to be as big as the Daytona 500.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,784 times
Putting the Daytona 500 at the end of the season is not a good idea. Just look at the people who win Homestead. They get no coverage because of the championship and the same thing would happen if you put the 500 as the last race. It would diminish its prestige.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,234 times
Yeah Daytona is where it needs to be. It ramps up the season and gets everyone back in the groove of racing. Homestead isn't a great way to finish for sure, but having it against football is disaster. Move the race to a better track and move the date.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
And the race winner would still get out-shined by the points champion. Only once did that workout right and that was 2011 when Tony won the last race and because of that (and four other chase wins) the title. Make Daytona the final race and you'll have say David Ragan win but get upstaged by say Jimmie's record tying 7th championship or Junior's first ever cup.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And the race winner would still get out-shined by the points champion. Only once did that workout right and that was 2011 when Tony won the last race and because of that (and four other chase wins) the title. Make Daytona the final race and you'll have say David Ragan win but get upstaged by say Jimmie's record tying 7th championship or Junior's first ever cup.
That's another topic. Get rid of restrictor plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing