Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I was there a few years ago sitting between turns 3 & 4 and there was plenty of room to spread out due to empty seats.
Dover is a long race much like Rockingham, and unlike other tracks 400 miles means 400 laps.
and it used to be 500 not too long ago. Tracks overdid it with all the seating ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
and it used to be 500 not too long ago. Tracks overdid it with all the seating ...
Yes they did. It looks great when the seats are filled, bad when they're not.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,353 times
I went to Dover in the mid 80s and the place was packed. They built the big new stands, I went again in the mid 90s and the place was packed. The races were 500 miles, and there were usually less than 10 cars on the lead lap. In fact, sometimes there were less than 40 cars, and some of those cars were local dirt track stars from NJ, NY and PA who were able to put together a car in their garage to chase their big time dreams once or twice a year.

Now, not so much.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Now days with coverage as it is on TV compared to earlier unless you want to attend ;its better to watch on TV; really .Its kind of like the movies then and now with video options; IMO. I'd rather watch on my large screen HD TV than go to movies.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:49 PM

5,132 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Now days with coverage as it is on TV compared to earlier unless you want to attend ;its better to watch on TV; really .Its kind of like the movies then and now with video options; IMO. I'd rather watch on my large screen HD TV than go to movies.

That and I really don't think the younger generations are embracing NASCAR as their parents did. It is also evolving into corporate entity's now. It's all about marketing also.

Have NASCAR's Attempts to Appeal to Younger Fans Done More Harm Than Good? | Bleacher Report

Old 06-02-2014, 05:19 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
That was a spot on article. It isn't just NASCAR that is having problems, it's all forms of racing, though. The interest just isn't there among people in my generation. Cars have become appliances to more and more people, which is very sad for car enthusiasts like myself. A good majority of the people I know care more about the next pair of Jordans to come out than the new Mustang. And as the article said, they have severely alienated the core fans in the south. If the TV ratings are any indication, the changes to the championship this year were the last straw for many fans.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 PM

The article is a good one but in my experience, on this forum and talking to NASCAR fans, the older fans have a very distorted memory of the "good ol' days."
The writer goes on to comment about NASCAR's many changes. During NASCAR's peak changes were made seemingly weekly in attempts to keep the playing field level. IMO this created an excellent atmosphere for arm chair racing. The controversy kept the lips flapping, the talking heads bobbling, and the fingers pecking on the keyboards. I continue to bring this up but when was the last time anyone talked about another make having some kind of advantage, be it aero or powertrain.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
That and I really don't think the younger generations are embracing NASCAR as their parents did. It is also evolving into corporate entity's now. It's all about marketing also.

Have NASCAR's Attempts to Appeal to Younger Fans Done More Harm Than Good? | Bleacher Report
Its really more that people then did not have options to televised service as we do now. Then the money making of the sport has changed. Its a combination of higher cost to host at track views thus rising ticket cost which makes viewing on TV much better choice. All racing is suffering from cost issues as what you are selling is often more limited view of race itself and you have to sell it has total entertainment event type with music; tailgating; fireworks displays and more personal access to racers etc. Oval racing was invented so has to give spectator view of the race at all times even if some what limited. No appealing to younger views has always been done just different now people now see races. The money in televised is really big now.that ios why racers do not trailer their own cars now days or travel in their motor homes to races even. Often they fly in then helicoptered to track because they were promoting for sponsors perhaps across the country day before. Its a full time thing.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:03 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,572 times
Just my opinion here but BrianFrance reminds me of VinceMcMahon and Nascar reminds me of wrestling nowadays. Me thinks Nascar changed when BrianFrance took it over.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its really more that people then did not have options to televised service as we do now. Then the money making of the sport has changed. Its a combination of higher cost to host at track views thus rising ticket cost which makes viewing on TV much better choice. All racing is suffering from cost issues as what you are selling is often more limited view of race itself and you have to sell it has total entertainment event type with music; tailgating; fireworks displays and more personal access to racers etc. Oval racing was invented so has to give spectator view of the race at all times even if some what limited. No appealing to younger views has always been done just different now people now see races. The money in televised is really big now.that ios why racers do not trailer their own cars now days or travel in their motor homes to races even. Often they fly in then helicoptered to track because they were promoting for sponsors perhaps across the country day before. Its a full time thing.
Much truth in what you say; big sponsor money propelled the sport, but those sponsors wanted something in return for the millions they were spending and speeding billboards were no longer enough. People complain about the lack of action in racing yet will sit for hours watching football where there is less than 15 minutes of playing time.
The sport was changing long before Brian France took the reigns. I don't think Bill France would have any better solutions for the issues of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing