Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 AM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Yeh its definitely gonna take some getting used to. Still miss the sound of the V10s.
Dang I'm feeling old, I miss the sound of the V-12s and actually got to hear the sound of a BRM H-16 during the first year (1966) of the 3 liter formula.

Two of the things I don't like about current F1 regs are the number of cylinders and redline being by rule. If a team wants to run a V-16 and can get it to live at 25,000 RPM I believe they should be free to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Dang I'm feeling old, I miss the sound of the V-12s and actually got to hear the sound of a BRM H-16 during the first year (1966) of the 3 liter formula.

Two of the things I don't like about current F1 regs are the number of cylinders and redline being by rule. If a team wants to run a V-16 and can get it to live at 25,000 RPM I believe they should be free to do so.
I have mixed feelings about the second part of your post. I agree with it but at the same time, I think it can divide the field a lot. Unless the bugets are capped for the smaller teams to stay somewhat competitive.

I wish they would go back to V10s and fuel stops.

I've only heard the V12s online but I actually think the new engines(V6 T) sound a lot like the V12s. Think the V10s sounded the best to me.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about the second part of your post. I agree with it but at the same time, I think it can divide the field a lot. Unless the bugets are capped for the smaller teams to stay somewhat competitive.
I have the feeling there's few practical ways of containing costs in racing other than some of the classes with claiming rules, there's probably far too many methods of creative bookkeeping to make budget restraints effective. What generally seems to happen is when the regs get more restrictive, the search for an 'edge' becomes more esoteric and usually (but not always) better handled by the well funded teams. The old adage "speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?" is very difficult to work around.

Quote:
I wish they would go back to V10s and fuel stops.

I've only heard the V12s online but I actually think the new engines(V6 T) sound a lot like the V12s. Think the V10s sounded the best to me.
I did have the pleasure of hearing the V10s with no rev limits in Montreal one year, the sounds along with how very short braking distances had become were impressive.

Personally I'd like to see something like a weight per displacement formula that would give designers a wide open area to choose between light, small displacement cars and heavier, larger displacement ones. I think it'd be interesting to see if a light vs. heavy battle developed or if a natural selection process lead all teams to similar designs.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 AM

983 posts, read 1,636,377 times
I wouldn't want refueling back. It was sprinting to the next stop. If they were close to a rival, they just pitted a lap earlier or later a bank a quick inlap our outlap instead of passing on the track. I wasn't a fan then and won't be a fan again if it's back.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I have the feeling there's few practical ways of containing costs in racing other than some of the classes with claiming rules, there's probably far too many methods of creative bookkeeping to make budget restraints effective. What generally seems to happen is when the regs get more restrictive, the search for an 'edge' becomes more esoteric and usually (but not always) better handled by the well funded teams. The old adage "speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?" is very difficult to work around.

I did have the pleasure of hearing the V10s with no rev limits in Montreal one year, the sounds along with how very short braking distances had become were impressive.

Personally I'd like to see something like a weight per displacement formula that would give designers a wide open area to choose between light, small displacement cars and heavier, larger displacement ones. I think it'd be interesting to see if a light vs. heavy battle developed or if a natural selection process lead all teams to similar designs.
Great post.
Good points in the first section.

I think the heavier vs lighter thing would be a good idea. Definity would be interesting to see if a natural selection process would lead to a similar design. I think fuel consumption would definitely play part in that.

Another thing to keep in mind is, teams then could build the motor to last only one race. As of the last few seasons, they only have a set amount of engines they can use per season. I think next year IIRC, they are only allowed one engine for the entire season. Though I could be wrong.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I wouldn't want refueling back. It was sprinting to the next stop. If they were close to a rival, they just pitted a lap earlier or later a bank a quick inlap our outlap instead of passing on the track. I wasn't a fan then and won't be a fan again if it's back.
There is truth to this. But when you consider that most fuel stops were made at tyre intervals, it wasn't a major dictator of the finish. Every stop still cost time as it does now. So minimal stops was still a goal. Given the displacement and efficiency changes, im guessing only one stop for fuel would be needed. They don't require any now....
They'd probably just change the weight regulation to allow the cars to be lighter and make the fuel tanks smaller.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Not sure if its just my imagination, but it seems the sport just kinda changed when they stopped allowing cigarette sponsors. I think they pumped a lot of money into the sport.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Not sure if its just my imagination, but it seems the sport just kinda changed when they stopped allowing cigarette sponsors. I think they pumped a lot of money into the sport.
Being a Colin Chapman/Lotus fan I know I really enjoyed the John Player livery on those cars back then. Andretti's title winning Lotus 79 was IMO a beautiful car

Last edited by burdell; 08-08-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I think the heavier vs lighter thing would be a good idea. Definity would be interesting to see if a natural selection process would lead to a similar design. I think fuel consumption would definitely play part in that.

Another thing to keep in mind is, teams then could build the motor to last only one race. As of the last few seasons, they only have a set amount of engines they can use per season. I think next year IIRC, they are only allowed one engine for the entire season. Though I could be wrong.
One engine per season would be quite an achievement, even today's reliability is light years ahead of that of not that many years ago.

There are many things that could be changed in the rules to make things more interesting, I'd just like to see F! get away from the trend towards a 'spec car', i.e. number of cylinders specified/redline limited by regulation, common ECU, etc. There are some true engineering geniuses working in F!, I'd like to see them have a little more room to play and see what they produce.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Being a Colin Chapman/Lotus fan I know I really enjoyed the John Player livery on those cars back then. Andretti's title winning Lotus 79 was IMO a beautiful car
Agreed. That was a VERY nice looking car. I also real liked the Camel Renault and 555/Lucky Strike BAR.
Oh, and the B&H and Mild Seven Jordans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing