Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Congratulations on your big 39th place finish, you sure are equal to the amount of media hype you receive.
how about waiting until the end of the season, or at least a few more races have passed, before making a judgement on how she is doing in sprint cup? remember she did finish in the top ten in points in the nationwide series last year, and this year she is not only learning in a higher level series, but also in a new race car as well. and remember that jeff gordon didnt start off very well in his first season, same with many other top cup drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,863,415 times
She's still ahead of JPM and bunch of others guys. Time will tell. Daytona is all about the car/engine package and she had a great package. (so-to-speak) The dog days of spring will show what she's got.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,564,331 times
Congratulations on your big 33rd place finish, you sure are equal to the amount of media hype you receive.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,667,396 times
Danica was junk yesterday but so was Newman and Stewart (at least for most of the race). When the other 2 Stewart/Haas cars run consistently well and Danica is still crap, then we can start the over-hype chant.

It is still too early to tell how good/bad Danica really is.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Danica was junk yesterday but so was Newman and Stewart (at least for most of the race). When the other 2 Stewart/Haas cars run consistently well and Danica is still crap, then we can start the over-hype chant.

It is still too early to tell how good/bad Danica really is.
i can go along with this. we also need to remember that danica is a rookie in cup, and she is not only learning to deal with the more powerful cars, she is also learning to deal with a brand new race car as well. if she starts to improve it will be later in the season before we see it really happening.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,906,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how about waiting until the end of the season, or at least a few more races have passed, before making a judgement on how she is doing in sprint cup? remember she did finish in the top ten in points in the nationwide series last year, and this year she is not only learning in a higher level series, but also in a new race car as well. and remember that jeff gordon didnt start off very well in his first season, same with many other top cup drivers.
She finished 10th in the driver standings, yes, but the drivers standings in the Nationwide Series are watered down by all the part-time teams and the Sprint Cup interlopers. Car owner points are a more accurate reflection of a driver's accomplishments in the Nationwide Series. Those are accrued regardless of who's driving the car.

For the record, Danica was 17th in the final owners' standings last year.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times
I really don't understand all of the Danica hate. My daughters are more into NASCAR this year then ever and it's because of Danica. I don't see her winning the Cup, but she will win some races and be competitive.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:47 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,880,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I really don't understand all of the Danica hate. My daughters are more into NASCAR this year then ever and it's because of Danica. I don't see her winning the Cup, but she will win some races and be competitive.
They're afraid she'll finish ahead of their driver.

When that does happen, no doubt they'll have an excuse ready.

Also this:
Danica Patrick, ranks No. 7 with earnings of $12.9 million in 2012. Her merchandise was Nascar’s ninth best seller in 2012, according to Fanatics.com, one of the largest online retailers of officially licensed sports merchandise. But that ranking will jump this year, as she only raced in 10 Sprint Cup races last year and will be running a full-time Sprint Cup schedule in 2013 for the first time. Her merchandise was flying off shelves after she secured the pole for the Daytona 500. Her gear was Nascar’s best seller in the week leading up to Daytona on Fanatics.com–a spot usually reserved for Earnhardt. The Go Daddy girl has 15 personal sponsors including: Coca-Cola, Nationwide, Tissot and Sega.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Tops List Of Nascar's Highest-Paid Drivers - Forbes

Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,906,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
They're afraid she'll finish ahead of their driver.

When that does happen, no doubt they'll have an excuse ready.
That may be the case for some, but it's not for me. Danica is 80% marketing, 20% driver. I want to see a female racer succeed, and so far Danica's had some nice benchmarks but in reality she hasn't accomplished anything on the track. Take out the "first woman to" qualifier and what has she done? Won a non-descript fuel mileage race, led a few laps at Indy, won the pole for a plate race, and led a handful of laps in the Daytona 500. That's it, yet people build her up and give her more exposure than even ol 5-time himself. Honestly, in the long run her lack of palpable success could end up hurting the chances for more qualified females to get quality rides.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,572,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Yet these same people excuse Jr's lack of performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing