Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,227,505 times

Advertisements

What a flop !

" all hat no cattle"

She can't compete and now she is no longer a novelty that can sell tickets.

Her name and 25 cents will get her coffee at Ma and Pa's Kettle in Cameron MO, but it is no longer drawing interest in NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,942,922 times
I agree to an extent. I see no reason why everybody fawns all over her like she's god's gift to racing.

She's an average driver who hasn't "raced" to Victory Lane (that one fuel mileage, small field race nonwithstanding). I also do not see the beauty or charm that most buffoons see in her. She's average all-around. And without the headline accomplishments or championships to support her, she's going to have to do something good on the track to keep her name in lights.

That being said, I'm not ready to write her off as having a future in Nascar. I didn't see the race yesterday, but I see that she was running competitively before a questionable incident with another car ruined her potential finish. Time will tell if she can develop into a decent oval driver or if she'll be another Nascar wannabe washout.

I am glad for her sake that they didn't try to put her right into Cup racing!!! Hopefully she'll keep working in the lower series and figure things out.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:24 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,592,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I agree to an extent. I see no reason why everybody fawns all over her like she's god's gift to racing.

She's an average driver who hasn't "raced" to Victory Lane (that one fuel mileage, small field race nonwithstanding). I also do not see the beauty or charm that most buffoons see in her. She's average all-around. And without the headline accomplishments or championships to support her, she's going to have to do something good on the track to keep her name in lights.

That being said, I'm not ready to write her off as having a future in Nascar. I didn't see the race yesterday, but I see that she was running competitively before a questionable incident with another car ruined her potential finish. Time will tell if she can develop into a decent oval driver or if she'll be another Nascar wannabe washout.

I am glad for her sake that they didn't try to put her right into Cup racing!!! Hopefully she'll keep working in the lower series and figure things out.
It's the same beauty & charm the buffoons see in Earnhardt Jr. That's what makes him the t-shirt king. It's all in the marketing; the Danica marketing machine has done a brilliant job in that department and whether or not she ever becomes a series champion will be irrelevant. Rather she will be noted as a female driver who paved the way for other female drivers by the mere act of landing big time sponsorship.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,926,732 times
danica is still the only woman to win an indycar race, and yes a fuel economy win is still a win. she has finished in the top 6 in points in indycar racing, so can can in fact handle a race car. she has had some unfortunate incidents in her career that has kept her from winning some races though, but she is still young, and still learning. she has done reasonably well for a rookie in the nationwide series.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Juan Pablo Montoya made the switch from open whell cars to NASCAR.

He stated those 2 cars are so different handling , Danica is gonna have to give up open wheel cars and concentrate on NASCAR if she wants to be successfull in NASCAR.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM

36,463 posts, read 16,069,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's the same beauty & charm the buffoons see in Earnhardt Jr. That's what makes him the t-shirt king. It's all in the marketing; the Danica marketing machine has done a brilliant job in that department and whether or not she ever becomes a series champion will be irrelevant. Rather she will be noted as a female driver who paved the way for other female drivers by the mere act of landing big time sponsorship.
Sorta like Shirley Cha Cha Muldowney did for drag racing. she got some laps on the car and did pretty well, we'll see.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,942,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Actually it's totally different with Jr, but I suppose we can't have a racing thread without some genius taking a shot at Jr. But heck, I believe in free speech, so I'll even play along with your nonsense.

Jr has won Nationwide championships. He's active in the Cup series. He's won many times in the the major series. He's been in the Chase. He is a likeable person who doesn't have to pose in a bikini to draw fans. He's not his father and never claimed to be (much to the chagrin of alot of buffoons that claim he should be).

Do you really think he sells T shirts becuase he's winning every week? Does anyone expect him to win every week? He is successful because he's a good person and his fans appreciate that.

So no, sorry. This is nothing like the scenario I described with Danica. Now if you compared her to Erin Crocker, you may have something. But, thanks for playing along.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,592,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Actually it's totally different with Jr, but I suppose we can't have a racing thread without some genius taking a shot at Jr. But heck, I believe in free speech, so I'll even play along with your nonsense.

Jr has won Nationwide championships. He's active in the Cup series. He's won many times in the the major series. He's been in the Chase. He is a likeable person who doesn't have to pose in a bikini to draw fans. He's not his father and never claimed to be (much to the chagrin of alot of buffoons that claim he should be).

Do you really think he sells T shirts becuase he's winning every week? Does anyone expect him to win every week? He is successful because he's a good person and his fans appreciate that.

So no, sorry. This is nothing like the scenario I described with Danica. Now if you compared her to Erin Crocker, you may have something. But, thanks for playing along.
A Nationwide team that was essentially backed with Cup resources. Yeah, how often do we see that every week?
Joe Nemechek is active in the Cup series too. What's your point?
Out of his 10 full seasons he has missed the top 10 in points 6 times. This year will make 7.
He only sells t-shirts every week because the fans keep Sr alive vicariously through him. You know as well as I do, whether or not you want to admit it, if it wasn't for the namesake he wouldn't be drawing near the attention he currently does. Let's see how that name will continue to draw high profile sponsors if he doesn't start showing some improvement. Right now it's all about the marketing.
Two high profile drivers with high profile sponsors pulling in mediocre results; comparable.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM

9,585 posts, read 9,891,001 times
I'm hoping that Danica does well in NASCAR. Whenever she is racing, then my young daughters are interested in watching. NASCAR needs this type of publicity to compete in the years ahead with all of the other distractions that young people have now.

A lot of people say NASCAR should go back to the old school type of racing. I think that type of racing only interests people like me, the 40+ crowd. We all know sponsorship money is in the 18-35 crowd.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm hoping that Danica does well in NASCAR. Whenever she is racing, then my young daughters are interested in watching. NASCAR needs this type of publicity to compete in the years ahead with all of the other distractions that young people have now.

A lot of people say NASCAR should go back to the old school type of racing. I think that type of racing only interests people like me, the 40+ crowd. We all know sponsorship money is in the 18-35 crowd.
Baseball and football don't stoop as low as NASCAR .

They don't sign " token" females to their rosters just to entice young females to get interested in NASCAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing