Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
There are hundreds of drivers you could put on the list that have had just a few starts in one or two of the series but were not really good enough to get a full time ride!

For the purpose of good debate I would offer a regular CUP driver...

Juan Pablo Montoya.
He gets a lot of air time, seems to have a decent ride, sponsors love him but he just has never delivered on the promise.. Of the regular CUP drivers that have some name recognition and are part of a multi-car team.. he's probably at the bottom. IMO
Demonstrates how you can buy time with the right boss or financial backing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,661,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Demonstrates how you can buy time with the right boss or financial backing.
Yeah in today's money driven world you need to bring sponsorship to the team...
What's the name of the guy driving the car sponsored by Menards???

Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Yeah in today's money driven world you need to bring sponsorship to the team...
What's the name of the guy driving the car sponsored by Menards???
To be fair, Paul Menard is nowhere near as wrecktacular as he used to be. He hasn't had a DNF in 33 straight starts and he only had 2 all of last season.

Jon Wes Townley, on the other hand, couldn't drive the car any better if he had 8 hands on the wheel.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,105,887 times
what do you do, when you're leading the race and suddenly find yourself flanked by a Bodine brother and Jimmy Spencer?

unscheduled pit stop

Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
what do you do, when you're leading the race and suddenly find yourself flanked by a Bodine brother and Jimmy Spencer?

unscheduled pit stop
Now that's funny!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,668,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
To be fair, Paul Menard is nowhere near as wrecktacular as he used to be. He hasn't had a DNF in 33 straight starts and he only had 2 all of last season.

Jon Wes Townley, on the other hand, couldn't drive the car any better if he had 8 hands on the wheel.
I think Mennard is turning into a good driver. I remember he won a race a few years back in Nationwide when that series was dominated by Cup Drivers... and he won as a nationwide regular...
Now he has won at the Cup level and is consistently in or near the top 10. I think he is above the average and should be a Chase driver, if not this year.. next...

Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,661,041 times
not saying Menard is not becoming or has become a decent driver, just that when he got his ride it was because of his last name..

Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,349,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
IMHO, I'd say Spencer. Decent enough Modified driver... decent at Cup... but he is a total blowhard on the TV.
I grew up in Salem Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania -- home of Ed Spencer's junkyard; other than having bought a few used parts there in the days when I was younger and times leaner, I have no connnection with the family, but in a community the size of Berwick, everybody knows a little about everybody else.

People forget that NASCAR did run one Grand National event in this area -- in connection with the annual Bloomsbug Fair back in 1953. Herb Thomas won it, and both Jimmy's Dad Edgar and his late Uncle Cy were among the also-rans.

And the nature of both the used-car and used-parts business makes it hard to stay in the strictest compliance with the letter of the law. The Spencers have had a couple of scrapes over the years --- but never anything serious or flagrant.

And a few of us can still recall an incident that bordered on the hilarious back in the mid-1960's. One Sunday evening, while towing his efforts home from a frustrating day at Williams Grove (near Harrisburg), Ed Spencer's trailer apparently gave up the ghost on Front Street in Berwick. This brought some attention from the local cops, and tempers apparently boiled over. Jimmy and brother Paul were in the side seat of the truck during the fracas, and their behavior apparently added to the color reported in the local paper after things cooled down.

Jimmy Spencer is a man of modest education and fair-but-not-too-typical people skills -- attempting to make his way in the world like the rest of us. Whether there will ever be another Spencer in the NASCAR ranks from up here in CoalCracker country remains to be seen. A Ned Jarrett he ain't, but remembering all the struggles while on the way, the man has not done too badly for himself.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-24-2012 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
not saying Menard is not becoming or has become a decent driver, just that when he got his ride it was because of his last name..
Wont argue that.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:29 AM

I can do with or without Spencer on TV.. lord knows he aint the worst...
Never thought that much of him before he punched Kurt Bush in the nose.. afterwards I thought very highly of him.. not sure why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I grew up in Salem Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania -- home of Ed Spencer's junkyard; other than having bought a few used parts there in the days when I was younger and times leaner, I have no connnection with the family, but in a community the size of Berwick, everybody knows a little about everybody else.

People forget that NASCAR did run one Grand National event in this area -- in connection with the annual Bloomsbug Fair back in 1953. Herb Thomas won it, and both Jimmy's Dad Edgar and his late Uncle Cy were among the also-rans.

And the nature of both the used-car and used-parts business makes it hard to stay in the strictest compliance with the letter of the law. The Spencers have had a couple of scrapes over the years --- but never anything serious or flagrant.

And a few of us can still recall an incident that bordered on the hilarious back in the mid-1960's. One Sunday evening, while towing his efforts home from a frustrating day at Williams Grove (near Harrisburg), Ed Spencer's trailer apparently gave up the ghost on Front Street in Berwick. This brought some attention from the local cops, and tempers apparently boiled over. Jimmy and brother Paul were in the side seat of the truck during the fracas, and their behavior apparently added to the color reported in the local paper after things cooled down.

Jimmy Spencer is a man of modest education and fair-but-not-too-typical people skills -- attempting to make his way in the world like the rest of us. Whether there will ever be another Spencer in the NASCAR ranks from up here in CoalCracker country remains to be seen. A Ned Jarrett he ain't, but remembering all the struggles while on the way, the man has not done too badly for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing