Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:08 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,084,963 times

Advertisements

Love the Rock..........I'll be there! GO KBM!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM

890 posts, read 1,851,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I have to admit, I didn't even watch the Cup races at the Rock when they ran there because they didn't hold my interest. But OTOH, I enjoy Pocono. Go figure!

Races at Pocono have been pretty good in the past...it just takes SO LONG to get around there.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,926,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post

Races at Pocono have been pretty good in the past...it just takes SO LONG to get around there.
I thought the coolest thing was when they used Jerico transmissions there... they'd come off Turn 3 and fan out across the front stretch trying to drag race down the "runway" to Turn 1.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I thought the coolest thing was when they used Jerico transmissions there... they'd come off Turn 3 and fan out across the front stretch trying to drag race down the "runway" to Turn 1.
I was just telling my coworkers about that the other day. The whole Montoya-Jet Dryer incident has created quite a stir among the non racing fans. Even moreso than Danica.

I haven't been to Pocono since '95. My favorite Terry Labonte won that day so that is a Pocono highlight.

The other favorite moment is seeing Tim Richmond push Earnhardt through turn 3, then diving underneath him and drag racing him down the front. That was his '87 comeback race.

Also met Terry Labonte there in '83. I was only 14, and he spent a fair amount of time talking with my uncle and I at the chain link fence near his hauler. Yeah, back in the day you could almost touch the haulers. He came out of the trailer and we called him over to sign a card. He was the first Cup driver I met and that's how I became a fan.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post

The other favorite moment is seeing Tim Richmond push Earnhardt through turn 3, then diving underneath him and drag racing him down the front. That was his '87 comeback race.
My favorite Pocono race was Jeremy Mayfield "rattling Earnhardt's cage" and pushing him out of the way for the win on the last corner.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,926,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
My favorite Pocono race was Jeremy Mayfield "rattling Earnhardt's cage" and pushing him out of the way for the win on the last corner.
That was a good racing move, but I lost a lot of respect for him right then for the way he was running his mouth about it to the media. You need to "be someone" before you brag about besting the best.

But good things really come to those who wait, and in this case, we got to witness karma wave her fickle finger. Not only was Sr cemented in history (after his untimely death) as one of the greatest racers ever, but he is now revered by many more for all of the good things he accompished in his lifetime.

JM? Yeah, his mouth cost him rides on some really good teams and he's pretty much thrown away his once promising racing career away. Now he's moved on to the next chapter which is to stand in front of a judge so he can be held accountable for his newfound career of drugs and crime. (Unless of course, his premise rings true that this is all a big conspiracy by NASCAR to "get him". Think someone has accountability issues? )

Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,404,163 times
Quote:
That was a good racing move, but I lost a lot of respect for him right then for the way he was running his mouth about it to the media. You need to "be someone" before you brag about besting the best.

But good things really come to those who wait, and in this case, we got to witness karma wave her fickle finger. Not only was Sr cemented in history (after his untimely death) as one of the greatest racers ever, but he is now revered by many more for all of the good things he accompished in his lifetim

JM? Yeah, his mouth cost him rides on some really good teams and he's pretty much thrown away his once promising racing career away. Now he's moved on to the next chapter which is to stand in front of a judge so he can be held accountable for his newfound career of drugs and crime. (Unless of course, his premise rings true that this is all a big conspiracy by NASCAR to "get him". Think someone has accountability issues? )
Maybe it was GOD who punished Mayfield for taking out Earnhardt.

Future drug users take note. NASCAR is the only sport that takes drug use seriously. You want to take drugs go play in the NBA. NFL, MLB they let you off with a slap on the wrist.NASCAR your ass is gone.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM

441 posts, read 1,488,703 times
The Rock was always pleagued with poor dates, poor accessibility, and the lack of places to stay. But one fine place to hold a race. It's good to see some of the old tracks hanging on.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Nice article on Andy Hillenburg and the effort he's put in to bringing "The Rock" back....

NASCAR returns to Rockingham with Truck Series - Yahoo! News

Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,084,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Love the Rock..........I'll be there! GO KBM!!
Actually, I won't be there.........too many bills to pay. Still, Go KBM though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing