Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:26 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

That is formula 1 your describing also. I mean it was billed as the most advanced and now has followed others in opening wings to pass. Faster degrading tires beyond what others have to get passing. But still the pit is the passing zone of choice.Now we see constant changing rules just as fast to try to get more than two teams with a chance of winning.Its still a tecdhnlogy race with teh most money likely to win and as seen i China even a 110 race lsoing driver witht eh right car can triumph ;showing its more abut car tha drivers really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is formula 1 your describing also. I mean it was billed as the most advanced and now has followed others in opening wings to pass. Faster degrading tires beyond what others have to get passing. But still the pit is the passing zone of choice.Now we see constant changing rules just as fast to try to get more than two teams with a chance of winning.Its still a tecdhnlogy race with teh most money likely to win and as seen i China even a 110 race lsoing driver witht eh right car can triumph ;showing its more abut car tha drivers really.
China also had a whole bunch more passing on the track than in the pits but I guess you'll just conveniently ignore that the same way you're ignoring that Malaysia clearly proved it's not all about the car, eh?

NASCAR lost all credibility as a racing series when Junior was docked points for something he said. It's not all about the cars or the drivers, it's hoopla and marketing, racing is secondaryand almost incidental.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Yes they are going around in circles for 3-4 hrs at 150+ mph in the corners unlike the F1 cars that slow down for corners.
Who ever heard of real race cars slowing down for corners?
Let me see:

All F1 circuits (thank God)
Le Mans (24 hours)
Nürburgring (24 hours) - It would not have been called The Green Hell if it was a boring oval circuit.
+ pretty much all race tracks in Europe and I guess the rest of the World (outside the U.S.).

Maybe they should turn Laguna Seca into an oval circuit?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Let me see:

All F1 circuits (thank God)
Le Mans (24 hours)
Nürburgring (24 hours) - It would not have been called The Green Hell if it was a boring oval circuit.
+ pretty much all race tracks in Europe and I guess the rest of the World (outside the U.S.).

Maybe they should turn Laguna Seca into an oval circuit?
I actually enjoy road racing, I have thousands of miles driving at Watkins Glen, it's just F1 that I can't stand. Over hyped youngsters driving cars that are engineer controlled from the pits.The team that outspends the competition wins all the races. When Schumacher was the star everybody said he was the best driver but it was really Ferrari that was the star back then. Last year it was Red Bull that dominated F1 but failed in NASCAR. Not so easy was it?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Yes they are going around in circles for 3-4 hrs at 150+ mph in the corners unlike the F1 cars that slow down for corners.
Who ever heard of real race cars slowing down for corners?
You're not very familiar with the way the vast majority of NASCAR tracks are driven, are you?

Quote:
I actually enjoy road racing, I have thousands of miles driving at Watkins Glen, it's just F1 that I can't stand. Over hyped youngsters driving cars that are engineer controlled from the pits.The team that outspends the competition wins all the races. When Schumacher was the star everybody said he was the best driver but it was really Ferrari that was the star back then. Last year it was Red Bull that dominated F1 but failed in NASCAR. Not so easy was it?
Care to document RedBull outspending Ferrari and McLaren last year?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You're not very familiar with the way the vast majority of NASCAR tracks are driven, are you?

Care to document RedBull outspending Ferrari and McLaren last year?
I watch all the NASCAR races on TV and attend a few each year so I am familiar with NASCAR racing. Went to my first race in 1956 so I am more familiar with NASCAR than you probably are with F1.

If you like F1 racing, good for you. To me it stinks, lots of money, lots of pretty people in pretty places but the racing stinks. Most of the time the pole sitter wins the race(yesterday for example) never does a driver come from the rear to win in F1 (like Kasey did yesterday in the NASCAR truck race at Rockingham).
I don't care what anybody watches just don't try to convince me or anybody that F1 is competitive racing.

It's like a Ferrari owner telling a Shelby Cobra owner that his car is a POS

Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I watch all the NASCAR races on TV and attend a few each year so I am familiar with NASCAR racing. Went to my first race in 1956 so I am more familiar with NASCAR than you probably are with F1.

If you like F1 racing, good for you. To me it stinks, lots of money, lots of pretty people in pretty places but the racing stinks. Most of the time the pole sitter wins the race(yesterday for example) never does a driver come from the rear to win in F1 (like Kasey did yesterday in the NASCAR truck race at Rockingham).
I don't care what anybody watches just don't try to convince me or anybody that F1 is competitive racing.

It's like a Ferrari owner telling a Shelby Cobra owner that his car is a POS
I'm just pointing out your misleading statements such as the implication that NASCAR cars don't slow down for corners and that the most $$$ always wins, Brawn and RedBull have proven that not to be the case in the past few years.

You don't thinks F! is competetive racing? How can you think NASCAR is a racing series at all when points earned on the track can be taken away for what a driver says?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm just pointing out your misleading statements such as the implication that NASCAR cars don't slow down for corners and that the most $$$ always wins, Brawn and RedBull have proven that not to be the case in the past few years.

You don't thinks F! is competetive racing? How can you think NASCAR is a racing series at all when points earned on the track can be taken away for what a driver says?
I don't agree with all NASCAR policies but like the owners and drivers I understand that it is not a democracy. They make the rules and if you want to play you abide by the rules.
I also don't like that Hendrick, Roush, Pensky, Ganassi, Childress spend way too much money on engineers and high tech testing gadgetry, after all it's not F1.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
..it's just F1 that I can't stand. Over hyped youngsters driving cars that are engineer controlled from the pits.The team that outspends the competition wins all the races. When Schumacher was the star everybody said he was the best driver but it was really Ferrari that was the star back then. Last year it was Red Bull that dominated F1 but failed in NASCAR. Not so easy was it?
Red Bull are struggling so far this season. Toyota F1 (2002-2009) spent around £2.4 billion in total but achieved very little.

The engineering aspect is important in F1. The teams and spectators do not want the stone age technology of NASCAR.

And the age issue. Alonso is 30, Massa is 30, Glock is 30, Kovalainen is 30, Button is 32, Räikkönen is 32, Webber is 35 and Schumacher is 43. I would say plenty of not-so-young drivers. Racing should not be like golf.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post

The engineering aspect is important in F1. The teams and spectators do not want the stone age technology of NASCAR.
I have a friend who thought the same until he bought a retired NASCAR cup car for open track use. He is amazed at the tune-ability of the car and on a regular basis he is the fastest car on the track outperforming many of the usual suspects, Corvettes, Porsche and a ton of other "real race cars"
I am in no way implying that NASCAR cars can compete with pro built sports cars or any Formula cars. Just that the uninformed have no idea how much development goes into NASCAR stock cars.

BTW didn't Red Bull completely dominate F1 last season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing