Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:59 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,311,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Says somebody who has probably never been to a Cup race.
I'm sure it's a lot more exciting to see it live than on TV, where at least they make it seem as if they are not going around in circles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm sure it's a lot more exciting to see it live than on TV, where at least they make it seem as if they are not going around in circles.
Yes they are going around in circles for 3-4 hrs at 150+ mph in the corners unlike the F1 cars that slow down for corners.
Who ever heard of real race cars slowing down for corners?

Here is a little bit of info that is true.

In NASCAR the fans know the names of all the drivers.

In road racing the drivers know the names of all the fans.

Now I know where you got your screen name.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,126,368 times
^^

Monaco:

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/96/mon/monaco.gif

some NASCAR track

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/nascar-tracks-2.jpg

not all corners were created equal

Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
On raod is most a event as you really only see one small section of the track. that is why i always love goig to a NASCAR race;close racing ;not a parade and seeing the whole event as it happens without a screen.O raod i watch on TV as its the only real way to watch the race.Besides i can turn it offf it it gets boring parade too long.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
On raod is most a event as you really only see one small section of the track. that is why i always love goig to a NASCAR race;close racing ;not a parade and seeing the whole event as it happens without a screen.O raod i watch on TV as its the only real way to watch the race.Besides i can turn it offf it it gets boring parade too long.
99% of F1 grandstands nowadays feature a screen. Also kangaroo TVs are available for each race.

And what's the big deal with lead changes in NASCAR anyway if it's just so easy to do it? it's like saying that basketball is more fun than football because there are more baskets than touchdowns (basketball is actually more fun, but for other reasons :P).

Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM

But who attents a race to watch it mostly on screen. I don't thnik baskeytball fans want to see a game wher perhaps six guys play the ral agme and perhaps there are htree scoring attempts besides free throws. F1 has a parade problem since the 60's and knows it bu chnages they have made to give huge advanatges to following cars to get soem passing besides i the pits. Face it;F1 is more about the cars high tech than the actual racing now days.I remmber in the late 60's when passing was frequent and often in the Lotus';BRM's etc.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But who attents a race to watch it mostly on screen. I don't thnik baskeytball fans want to see a game wher perhaps six guys play the ral agme and perhaps there are htree scoring attempts besides free throws. F1 has a parade problem since the 60's and knows it bu chnages they have made to give huge advanatges to following cars to get soem passing besides i the pits. Face it;F1 is more about the cars high tech than the actual racing now days.I remmber in the late 60's when passing was frequent and often in the Lotus';BRM's etc.
The screen is more about awareness than to actually watch the whole thing there.

For sure current cars could use less aero and more mechanical grip to keep racing closer... let's see. I think the 2011 season was an absolute blast with the difference between tyres.

Let's see what they come up with to keep it closer, as long as it's not the NASCAR standard: safety car ever 10 minutes (or as soon as a fly flies by, whichever comes first) to keep it closer.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,871,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
The screen is more about awareness than to actually watch the whole thing there.

For sure current cars could use less aero and more mechanical grip to keep racing closer... let's see. I think the 2011 season was an absolute blast with the difference between tyres.

Let's see what they come up with to keep it closer, as long as it's not the NASCAR standard: safety car ever 10 minutes (or as soon as a fly flies by, whichever comes first) to keep it closer.
I'm not sure if I like F1, as I saw three races in Indy. In a lot of CART road courses, there only a few ticketed grandstand areas. The rest was general admission. A lot of the tightest corners where passing occurred were on hills, so you could sit down and see all the action. When races are set up like that, you don't remain static the whole race, you walk around to different vantage points throughout the race.

It's actually kind of fun and you look at the monitors to find catch up with who's leading. It is different experience and much different than sitting in the same seat the whole time.

F1 sells out and packs the venue with as much ticketed seating as possible, so it is difficult to move around.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Passing now is the order of the day by huge advantage of getting with 1 sceond then be given almost a free pass.KERS at least means not just the following car has huge advantage but the defending car if used right can defend without blocking.Then of there is the traction diffence between tires menaig passing is more like the old pit passing. the thing now is to grab lead;change tires to advatge and then maintain a 1 seconf difference.I really don't see the equality that makes pqassing a defned and pass challenge. Add to that the huge advatage some team have and you get a 4 to 6 car race around back markers.Actaually the best part about F1 is the qualifying.No get in the lead and maintain a 1 sec advantge over following car then plan pit stops well and tire choice.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Yes they are going around in circles for 3-4 hrs at 150+ mph in the corners unlike the F1 cars that slow down for corners.
Who ever heard of real race cars slowing down for corners?
Who ever heard of real race cars having restrictor plates?

Who ever heard of a real racing series taking points earned on a race track away for words said in the winner's circle?

Last edited by burdell; 04-14-2012 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing