Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,663,728 times

Advertisements

When cars are traveling at that speed, there is always going to be a risk of death. There is no way to make this sport completely safe. As dbbd said, though, that does not mean they cannot learn from accidents like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,663,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
My apologies to ABC. If they were not willing partners than it was IRL who kept the commercials airing. Look at the time line. Dan was pronounced dead at 1:54 local time It was at least an hour after that that it was announced. Someone at IRL knew.
Come off it.

Of course they knew, but that doesn't mean they should have gone rushing to the cameras.

The right thing to do was to make sure all of his family members, including his parents in England, were notified, as well as his crew members and fellow drivers. Only after that would it have been appropriate to announce it on ABC.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,271,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The chassis itself is the biggest problem. They're essentially lightweight airplane wings on wheels. They work great when the air flows over them but if the tiniest bit of air gets underneath the nose, they take off.

It doesn't take much to lift the nose, either. Mario Andretti took a somersaulting airborne ride at Indy after running over a piece of debris on the track during a testing run in 2003.

Pack racing on banked ovals like Texas has been one of IndyCar's saving graces. That close-quarters battling is their biggest marketing tool right now. It's a double-edged sword, though, because pack racing dramatically increases the odds of a major disaster.

I agree with you that speed plays a part but these cars are so light that it wouldn't surprise me at all to see one fly at 150-175mph. If you slow the cars down that much, though, it'll be the end of the IndyCar Series.
You're right,

Hopefully some good will come in and Indy learn from and develop new safety devices.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,140,569 times
Quote:
The chassis itself is the biggest problem. They're essentially lightweight airplane wings on wheels. They work great when the air flows over them but if the tiniest bit of air gets underneath the nose, they take off.

It doesn't take much to lift the nose, either. Mario Andretti took a somersaulting airborne ride at Indy after running over a piece of debris on the track during a testing run in 2003.

Pack racing on banked ovals like Texas has been one of IndyCar's saving graces. That close-quarters battling is their biggest marketing tool right now. It's a double-edged sword, though, because pack racing dramatically increases the odds of a major disaster.

I agree with you that speed plays a part but these cars are so light that it wouldn't surprise me at all to see one fly at 150-175mph. If you slow the cars down that much, though, it'll be the NASCAR Series.
Went ahead and fixed that for you.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,880,825 times
Quote:

I agree with you that speed plays a part but these cars are so light that it wouldn't surprise me at all to see one fly at 150-175mph.If you slow the cars down that much, though, it still won't be as good as the NASCAR Series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Went ahead and fixed that for you.
Went ahead and fixed your mistake.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:02 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,543,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Who is going to be the first ahole to file a suit to get their ticket money back? You can bet it'll happen.
I was there, I seriously doubt any real racefan would sue. Anyway, I do believe in karma.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
ABC's coverage made me furious. I am a retired auto racing Chaplain and have been at the track when a driver dies. I understand that a driver never dies at the track. It was obvious to me by observing the reaction of the other drivers, crews and the change in the comments from the announcers that he did not survive. I think ABC & IRL delayed the announcement so they could fill TV time for their sponsors.

My heart and prayers go out to his family.
I was at the track for the race. This is not true. The drivers and crews did not react in grief until after the driver's meeting. Until that time, there was hope.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
As much as how I don't like how they LOOK, maybe the new car, with it's mostly closed in wheels will help lessen the risk of similiar things happening. Also, more of a cage around the driver would help as well.
Ironically, Dan Wheldon had a significant role in the development of the newer safer cars that will come out next year.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Ironically, Dan Wheldon had a significant role in the development of the newer safer cars that will come out next year.
Yeah, and a sad irony it is.

The front wheels will still be as open as they are now if the design stays as is, so I'm not sure if it would've helped in this case or not. Even the NASCAR "stock" cars will climb over the wheel if they hit at the right angle and crush the fender.

I still think that while Wheldon's death is tragic, it's a tribute to the safety of the cars (and a lot of luck) that everyone else walked away relatively unscathed. Power came real close to coming down right on top of someone else - don't have the picture in front of me, and really don't care to look at it right now.

It's a dangerous sport, and it can be cruel sometimes. Put a human in something traveling 200MPH and you won't be able to make it 100% safe. That's something that the people who don't follow racing don't understand.

By all means, they should investigate, figure out what happened and try to improve. But it's not going to eliminate the risk totally.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Yeah, and a sad irony it is.

The front wheels will still be as open as they are now if the design stays as is, so I'm not sure if it would've helped in this case or not. Even the NASCAR "stock" cars will climb over the wheel if they hit at the right angle and crush the fender.

I still think that while Wheldon's death is tragic, it's a tribute to the safety of the cars (and a lot of luck) that everyone else walked away relatively unscathed. Power came real close to coming down right on top of someone else - don't have the picture in front of me, and really don't care to look at it right now.

It's a dangerous sport, and it can be cruel sometimes. Put a human in something traveling 200MPH and you won't be able to make it 100% safe. That's something that the people who don't follow racing don't understand.

By all means, they should investigate, figure out what happened and try to improve. But it's not going to eliminate the risk totally.
Think about the freak way Ayrton Senna died. I suppose when it's your time, it's your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing