Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,939,382 times

Advertisements

RIP. Thoughts to his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
ABC's coverage made me furious. I am a retired auto racing Chaplain and have been at the track when a driver dies. I understand that a driver never dies at the track. It was obvious to me by observing the reaction of the other drivers, crews and the change in the comments from the announcers that he did not survive. I think ABC & IRL delayed the announcement so they could fill TV time for their sponsors.

My heart and prayers go out to his family.
Seriously?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
It's always a sad day when a racer loses his life doing what he does best.
This tragic loss is one reason I don't watch Indy car racing. It is too dangerous to be driving open wheel cars on high speed ovals designed for Stock cars.
When I saw the deaths of drivers at Indy over the years I stopped watching as I am not interested in watching drivers maimed or killed.
I know racing is all about going as fast as you can but sometimes common sense has to take over and in the name of safety cars have to be slowed down or like NASCAR made to be more survivable in a crash.

It took the death of Dale Earnhardt to make stock cars safer.
Perhaps the death of Dan Whelan will do the same for Indy Car

Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
This tragic loss is one reason I don't watch Indy car racing. It is too dangerous to be driving open wheel cars on high speed ovals designed for Stock cars.
When I saw the deaths of drivers at Indy over the years I stopped watching as I am not interested in watching drivers maimed or killed.
I know racing is all about going as fast as you can but sometimes common sense has to take over and in the name of safety cars have to be slowed down or like NASCAR made to be more survivable in a crash.

Agreed!

This is exactly how I feel it! I love racing but Indy has just become unsafe in my opinion and I don't agree with Indy cars on stock car oval tracks. When I think Indy racing, I think traditional Grand Prix style tracks. It's a blast watching them race those type of tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
That's not what they need.
You're right but restricter plates could help if they continue racing Indy cars on short oval tracks.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Not an Indycar fan, but I hate seeing Dan go so young and had so much talent.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
I was waiting to see how long it would take to hear 'ban open wheel indy cars from oval tracks because they are too fast'.
Just heard it on the radio news. Does this mean no more indy 500? or air intake restrictors like NASCAR? Rev limiters?
Remember the overkill in drag racing, shortening a quarter mile to 1000 ft?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:29 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I was waiting to see how long it would take to hear 'ban open wheel indy cars from oval tracks because they are too fast'.
Just heard it on the radio news. Does this mean no more indy 500? or air intake restrictors like NASCAR? Rev limiters?
Remember the overkill in drag racing, shortening a quarter mile to 1000 ft?
Indy does not have banking in the turns that many other oval tracks do, hence the reason stock cars run so slow at Indy.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Freaking sad. And I think it was only his third race (?) of the season.
Last race.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:34 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Unlikely, as there have been other deaths and other drivers maimed for life and not only have changes not been made but they have denied that there was anything wrong. These (IRL) "cars" still fly and they should not.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
You're right but restricter plates could help if they continue racing Indy cars on short oval tracks.
Horsepower limiting devices like restrictor plates wouldn't have saved Wheldon's life. His roll loop failed and he hit his head on either the wall or the catch fence. It doesn't matter if you're going 220 or 120, if your head hits the wall your chances of survival are extremely low.

Those who do survive (Butch Lindley & Rick Baldwin) live out their days in a persistent vegitative state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing