Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 AM

9,536 posts, read 9,855,915 times

Advertisements

As usual, leading up to the Daytona 500 there are always a lot of buzz about changes that NASCAR will make, or needs to make, to keep this sport moving forward.
1. Points System: Brain France has indicated that a "major" change to the point system could be intact for this season. The plan is to go to a 43 point system - 43 points for 1st place, 42 for second, down to 1 point if you finish last. No word yet on bonus points.

2. Shorter Races: Fox Sports President announced he would like to say shorter races in the Cup series. He believes the attention span of viewers is shorter and the races should fit into a 3-hour window.

3. More Money to Win Races: Along with the new points system, some believe (like Dale Jarrett) that a bigger "purse" would entice drivers to race harder to win a race. DJ says that NASCAR should field only 36 cars, then take the money given to the other 7 cars and give that to the winner.

4. Cup Drivers can't race for Championship in Nationwide Series: Already in place is a new rule that asks each driver which Championship that they will try for when they apply for their "license" each year. Cup Drivers will have to choose to go for the NW Cup Championship or the Sprint Cup Championship. Obviously, we know which one they "must" go for. Kesolowski won't be able to defend his 2010 Championship.
Personally, I would like to see shorter races and less cars on the track. Quite often races go 4 - 5 plus hours, more if there is a Red Flag due to crash or weather. As a busy father of three, I normally DVR the race, then FF through most of it because I don't have the time to sit and watch a whole race. As for the smaller field, quite a few cars are start and park. The ones that continue are too slow to keep up with the top ten. Drivers need to make winning the #1 Priority.

EDIT: I meant to make a poll but my computer glitched and messed it up. Just go ahead and give your thoughts about the changes in your reply's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,339,241 times
The constant changes bother me--maybe that's just me! They only seem to make things worse.
As far as the drivers winning more money--oh come on................... I can remember when the drivers raced because they loved it and won because that is why they were racing. Believe me, back then when NASCAR was so popular money was not the reason the sport was so loved by drivers and spectators alike. The money is way out of hand and nowdays people can't even afford to take a family to see a NASCAR race! Yeah, make the purse more money??? (my personal opinion)
I do agree with the cup drivers not being able to race for the championship in the nationwide series.
No thoughts about shorter races...another change....

Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,087,663 times
Shorter races, more points for the winner of a race, and someone other that Jimmie winning the Championship!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,411,561 times
The driver with the most wins becomes champion. Does anybody go to a race cheering for their favorite to come in second?

Time limit on races, 3 hrs max.

All races run Sat. with Sunday the rain date.

Do away with silly burnouts, if you want to see burnouts go the the drag races

Do we really need a one hour pre race show for the same info every week. ( I don't watch these shows any longer)

Stop fawning over Rick Hendrick (by everyone) He's a car salesman for gosh sakes.
Much more deserving owners, Childress, Roush, Penske, Ganassi, Stewart, Petty.(All former racers)

Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Yeah, shorter races would probably be better. So I'm a woman and I changed my mind on this one!
Please loose those announcers that make all that noise before and during the race---they are so annoying. Makes me not even care to watch the race. It might help if they would actually say something intelligent.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 PM

9,536 posts, read 9,855,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The driver with the most wins becomes champion. Does anybody go to a race cheering for their favorite to come in second?

Time limit on races, 3 hrs max.

All races run Sat. with Sunday the rain date.

Do away with silly burnouts, if you want to see burnouts go the the drag races

Do we really need a one hour pre race show for the same info every week. ( I don't watch these shows any longer)

Stop fawning over Rick Hendrick (by everyone) He's a car salesman for gosh sakes.
Much more deserving owners, Childress, Roush, Penske, Ganassi, Stewart, Petty.(All former racers)
Winning needs to be a priority. I don't agree with DJ saying the purse should be bigger. More points is the best way and don't adjust the points at the beginning of the Chase. Also I think there should be points for winning the pole.

Races on Saturday is a good idea, hardly anyone watches on Mondays(rain-out). Plus get some good weatherman...if they say it's going to rain the rest of the night, don't try to keep the fans there and the talking heads going for three more hours.

BTW, Rick Hendrick was a race car driver. He had four starts in 1987 - 88. He was a pit crew member back in the 1960's, in the 70's he won 3 Championships as a Drag Boat Racing team owner. As a NASCAR team owner, he has 14 Driver Championships, 242 race wins, and 230 poles. And in case you were wondering, in his "car-salesman" job he owns 80 franchises, with over 6,000 employees (ie: JOBS), earning over $3.5B.

Just sayin'...

Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,411,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

BTW, Rick Hendrick was a race car driver. He had four starts in 1987 - 88. He was a pit crew member back in the 1960's, in the 70's he won 3 Championships as a Drag Boat Racing team owner. As a NASCAR team owner, he has 14 Driver Championships, 242 race wins, and 230 poles. And in case you were wondering, in his "car-salesman" job he owns 80 franchises, with over 6,000 employees (ie: JOBS), earning over $3.5B.

Just sayin'...
FWIW He was also banned by NASCAR for one year for his less than honorable dealings with his foreign manufacturers. Don't want to say what is was because some might think I am accusing him of the same thing with NASCAR.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,888,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Winning needs to be a priority. I don't agree with DJ saying the purse should be bigger. More points is the best way and don't adjust the points at the beginning of the Chase. Also I think there should be points for winning the pole.
Here's Bruton Smith's opinion on purses vs points;

"Look at last year's Coca-Cola 600 at Smith's Charlotte Motor Speedway. First paid $399,623 and second $299,404. That's about a $100,000 difference. The difference at California Speedway last year was just over $84,000.
"What if there was a $400,000 difference between first and second?" Smith asked as he stood on the backstretch of CMS, where the world's largest television screen will be built by the May races. "Now you know there is going to be a fight to the finish on that."

Bruton Smith chimes in on NASCAR's proposed points system and the Chase - ESPN

Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Sigh....that is sad and does show how much this sport has changed. Guess they no longer will fight to the finsh just because they love to race and win. A whole different bunch of race car drivers. Guess it's time for us old-timers to let the younger generation take over and I sure hope you too are loyal fans as we oldies were! No offence intended here this is just my opinion. I am very sad to see how dramatically this sport has changed over the years. Everything does change I guess.........

I just have to add.....Most of the good drivers don't even get any of the purse to begin with they are on salary--some of the beginners might get some of the purse. These drivers have lost the drive to win because they already have more money then they could ever spend if they drive for only 1 year! Years ago the drivers were hungry and they raced to win. These drivers are more actors then drivers.....

Last edited by cynwldkat; 01-26-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,014,970 times
1. Get rid of the Car of Tommorrow
2. Get rid of the Chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing