Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 21,030 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Does anyone know which is the better trip at this time of year, Cook Islands or New Caladonia? I am going to Sydney on business and was planning to take a short 3 -4 day side trip. Any information about hotels etc. would be GREAT!
Tks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 06:09 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,748,787 times
Since you've only got 3 or 4 days, I'd pick New Caledonia because it's closer. You'll spend the better part of a day just travelling there and back, depending on flight departures. You can't always pick your preference for departure times as we found out when we thought about doing a quick 6-day trip to Vanuatu last year when we were in Sydney. By the time we figured out the logistics and costs, it wasn't worth it. It would have been 3 full days of relaxation with the rest of the time either in the air, or wasting time in airports.

As far as hotels, try TripAdvisor, VirtualTourist or Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forums for advice, ratings, comments, etc. They've been very helpful to me in the past.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,071,666 times
Have you considered Norfolk Island?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 AM

339 posts, read 1,171,123 times
I agree with New Caledonia (or Norfolk, or Lord Howe, etc)...basically anywhere but Raro. I think the Cooks are great if you take that extra flight from Raro to Aitutaki, which is the Cook Islands of the brochures - like a castaway island. I'd steer clear of Raro itself - there is one nice beach on the island but otherwise I found it dull, very unfriendly (don't believe any hype about friendly locals - they aren't like the Fijians) and very expensive. My sister had her wallet stolen on a separate trip there by a guy who befriended them at the hotel bar. When she reported it to the police and told them the guy who did it, they told her it couldn't be him because he was a local and wouldn't do something like that. So you can add corrupt to that list!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:29 AM

42 posts, read 263,324 times
New Caledonia.... that australian hospitality comes at a price. its better and cheaper in new caledonia. Besides, New caledonia is a 3-4 hour plane hop from Sydney. and OMG is it beautiful...

you know when you look at a postcard and you think WOW, then you go there and its totally different to the postcard.

In new caledonia IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE THE POSTCARD.... The water is literally clear, its amazing. New caledonia also has a lot of French culture... Aussie Vs French... um there's no competition. FRECH PACIFIC is beautiful!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,071,666 times
did you actually find new caledonia cheaper than Oz? They use the same currency as Tahiti and when I stayed in Tahiti, it was expensive... and I was hanging with locals..

Old 08-20-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
did you actually find new caledonia cheaper than Oz? They use the same currency as Tahiti and when I stayed in Tahiti, it was expensive... and I was hanging with locals..
I think pretty much any place in the South Pacific is cheaper than Tahiti. Or at least that's what I understood when I was looking into doing a little trip to some SP island last year. Everything I read about Tahiti said it was "prohibitively expensive". I remember those exact words in one of the guide books. Gorgeous but out of this world price-wise.

I wonder if this is a French thing because when we went to Saint Maarten in the Caribbean, the French side of the island was outrageous, while the Dutch side was far more reasonable. And more friendly.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 AM

42 posts, read 263,324 times
yes New caledonia is cheaper than Australia, i live in Australia... and have visited the cook islands, Vantuatu, new caledonia... cook islands tends to be more expensive remember Australia has much higher minimum wages levels so you will be slugged for it.... Vanuatu being the cheapest but boy New caledonia is cheaper than australia and the service is better.... you have my word... New caledonia is preferred more than the cook islands

Old 08-21-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levendis View Post
yes New caledonia is cheaper than Australia, i live in Australia... and have visited the cook islands, Vantuatu, new caledonia... cook islands tends to be more expensive remember Australia has much higher minimum wages levels so you will be slugged for it.... Vanuatu being the cheapest but boy New caledonia is cheaper than australia and the service is better.... you have my word... New caledonia is preferred more than the cook islands
Gee, wished I'd looked into New Caledonia then. We both got our hearts set on Vanuatu last year, specifically the island of Espiritu Santo but turned out it was too much of a hassle and an expense to get there, so we gave up on the idea. Oh well. Maybe next time we're out East, if we're still in Oz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand