Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about New Zealand.

Are they more fast-paced, less friendly? I've been to both, but only the North when i was really young so I don't remember, but I found the people in the South Island, particularly Dunedin and the small towns, very friendly. They were polite.etc but also seemed interested to have a yarn etc.

I've heard the people in Auckland, because it's a big city, are less inclined to be like that but I don't know how true that is. I've also met some Kiwis who were from the North Island who weren't that nice at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,175 times
The island you are from really has nothing to do with your urbanity or whether you are nice or not.

I would definitely not say that North Islanders are more urbane because they live in the North Island - more likely the North Island has a larger proportion of the population living in larger cities and therefore more people are city dwellers. I recently had the misfortune of spending a significant amount of time in a large public hospital an hour from Auckland, that served a smaller city plus a larger rural area of the North Island and I can tell you, there was NOTHING urbane about many of the people who we encountered there. I was actually having culture shock (just arrived from Hong Kong via Paris so hardly surprising)...some rural NZers can be a little on the rough side, to put it nicely! Especially for us precious city dwellers!

That said, SI is very laid back, no big cities and a lovely relaxed vibe. So you could take from that that SIers are friendlier than say, Aucklanders. But that's understandable - people from big cities can tend to keep their distance from strangers and thus be standoffish...it's a natural human reaction when you are surrounded by lots of people.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Is there still that competition between which one is the "Mainland" and which one is the "island"?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
As I said in other thread, the farther south you go the friendlier the people are. I notice the difference just getting off the ferry in Picton on the south island coming over from the north.

I always call the North Island the business end of the country. 3/4 of the population, more urban, more of the industry, more of the guvment bureaucracy. The south island is more about tourism and agriculture with less population density, so it does have more of a small town feel and there is less of a maori or pacific islander influence. The south is more traditional and rural.

Even the accent is different. Aucklanders are very fast and clipped with their speech, Wellingtonians have more of a british, formal speak, South Islanders have more of a drawl by comparision with slower speech and people from Oamaru south through Dunedin to Invercargill have a scottish influenced accent. It's a scottish lilted kiwi accent down there.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Even the accent is different. Aucklanders are very fast and clipped with their speech, Wellingtonians have more of a british, formal speak, South Islanders have more of a drawl by comparision with slower speech and people from Oamaru south through Dunedin to Invercargill have a scottish influenced accent. It's a scottish lilted kiwi accent down there.
I'm one of the fast-talking Aucklanders...the first time I heard a deep south island accent I thought the people were from another country! Talked about sheltered Jafa!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:43 AM

10 posts, read 28,607 times
Interesting what you said about the accents, it's definitely true. I've lived in Wellington the majority of my life but must've caught the fast-clipped Auckland accents when my family lived there years ago.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally posted by hkgal
I'm one of the fast-talking Aucklanders...the first time I heard a deep south island accent I thought the people were from another country! Talked about sheltered Jafa!
NI and SI have different accents? The only kiwis I've met were from Auckland Metro, so I wonder what the SI accent sounds like. Come to think of it, what region of NZ has the "standard" NZ accent that we all hear?

Like here in America the "standard American" is the midwestern one. What is it down there?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
NI and SI have different accents? The only kiwis I've met were from Auckland Metro, so I wonder what the SI accent sounds like. Come to think of it, what region of NZ has the "standard" NZ accent that we all hear?

Like here in America the "standard American" is the midwestern one. What is it down there?
Like Australian, the standard is pretty much found everywhere. The 'standard' is found in the majority middle class instead of a particular region.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Compared to the US accents, NZ accents show only a small variation. In parts of the south island, there is that Scottish influence which gives the speakers a pronounced 'burr' i.e. where an Auckland would say 'heard' as something like 'heahd', a south island would say it more like 'huurd'. Basically, we drop off 'r' from the end of a word whereas this SI regional accent tends to really pronounce it.

The main variations in the NZ accent, apart from this regional characteristic, would be found between city and rural dwellers. The rural kiwi accent is much stronger. This, like in other parts of the world, is probably due to the fact that in cities you have a wide variation of accents from everywhere and the kiwi-ness in speech is tempered somewhat. In rural communities this may not be the case, so it tends to sound much stronger.

You will also find variations in the accents of some Maori and Pacific Island speakers, which I assume come from the influences of their native languages. I have to say I think these variances may become even more pronounced as I noticed last time I was home that there is a very strong trend toward young Maori children being educated in a 'language nest' environment where they are immersed in Maori language and culture. I heard little kids speaking Maori with their families and I NEVER heard that growing up.

Last edited by hkgal; 03-20-2009 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:

Probably most people that don't listen to kiwis much wouldn't notice the differences. After you've lived and worked with them 24/7 it starts to become obvious. Maybe one would have to put people side by side to notice, dunno.

I would say people from Canterbury/Christchurch have a slight drawl and slower speech than the northies and probably most noticeable of all down in the southern part of the south island you will notice a scottish twanged kiwi accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand