Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle BoehmSmith View Post
Since selling my home in 2008 every single place I have rented has had a mold issue. I've learned to ask the important questions such as, has this house or apartment ever had a fire, broken pipes, roof leaks, water tank leaks, or dishwasher leaks. Repeatedly I am told everything is great and wonderful and if I can't smell it and I can't see it I don't have a choice but to think that they're telling me the truth. However in 10 out of 10 apartments the case has been that landlords have been less than honest and I am once again subjected to a mold situation. My physician sent me for a mold allergy test of which they test you with six types of mold once known for causing mycotoxins, but as a recent discovery there is a good 190 types of mold that will produce mycotoxins, not just 6. My allergy test of the six molds indicated I wasn't allergic to mold however my symptoms severely disagree. If I get around mold I know it instantly, my eyes bother me my ears my nose my breathing I get brain fog to get dark circles under my eyes I feel like I'm behind a truck breathing exhaust, (but I'm not allergic to mold according to the doctor).
I would like to know if there is any way that I can tell if a rental house has mold. I was told that mold thrives between 40° to 100°F under 40° and over 100° mold will just go dormant but it doesn't die. If mold is on a porous surface it cannot be treated, it has to be totally removed. Bleach will not kill the mold and kills paint only kills us not the mold. Sometimes it will be a day or two and I will think it's pretty clear, but that is very short-lived. Sometimes it's clear during one part of the day and in a couple of hours it will be horrible. I'm at my wits end; it's cost me a fortune and I've had to get rid of almost everything I owned because of this. If anyone has any suggestions out there I would greatly the appreciate it.
The mold you are having allergic reactions to isn't necessarily being produced by the structure you live in. Mold is everywhere in the air and the majority of it is often being produced out of doors.

Your allergy Dr. can certainly test you for other types of less common molds. But did you also have a general test for other allergies? It could be you are allergic to more things then you realize, such as dust mites, that are prevalent in many locations. If you get the correct allergans identified, you can be treated for them and for most people it greatly reduces their symptoms.

I have collected a lot of information about allergies in Austin here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/28934959-post17.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-01-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin