Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:58 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,280 times

Advertisements

So I live in Great Hills, and my neighbors find it necessary to feed the deer in a piece of their yard that butts right against ours. Has anyone dealt with this in the past? And if so, is there someplace to call? These deer show up and lounge in our backyard waiting to be fed; in that time they find it quite appropriate to use our backyard as their bathroom. Any suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,854 times
It's a Class C Misdemeanor:

https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/health/eh_ifodo.htm

Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,280 times
Hrmm, trying not to be the bad guy here, so reporting them would be quite obvious that it was me. We live on a hill, and we are the only backyard that they back up to, so we're really the only ones with knowledge of them feeding the deer. Not looking to start a confrontation, just tired of them throwing corn in the backyard every single evening. :\

Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
I don't want to pick on you, but if you're upset enough by this to post about it, you really should just talk to them. Explain the issue. If they don't care adn continue to feed these pests, then you need to decide if it's worth talking to authorities. Honestly, I don't know why people are unwilling to 'confront' when it's obviously an issue. If you do it politely, it's not a big deal.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
I think you should politely discuss it with your neighbors. You can approach it like they have no clue what they are doing is bad for the environment (in a nonaccusatory, nonthreatening way). If they're jerks about it, well then, turn them in.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,913 times
You might want to add that corn isn't a great food for deer, and that all wild animals (unless there is a time of drought, etc) are healthier when they find food on their own. In addition, they are teaching deer to associate people with food, and that could actually lead to dangerous situations, especially during the rut, which is in the fall, when they are loaded up with hormones. Rutting deer can charge, and their hooves are knife sharp, not to mention antlers. Its hard to think of deer as dangerous because we have been taught to associate them with Bambi. But they can kill, although it is not common. Children are especially vulnerable. I have had deer using my yard for sleeping (at a different house), and we enjoyed them through the window. But we have never fed them, other than the roses.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
In addition, they are teaching deer to associate people with food, and that could actually lead to dangerous situations
I enjoy the deer in our neighborhood, but the more I learn about them, this would be my concern. Association with humans causes deer to lose their fear, and they sometimes attack. Although that's rare, I once saw a buck charge at a man who was walking down my street. The buck was quite a distance away, at the top of a hill, and ran down towards him. The man didn't look at the buck, but was apparently aware of it. He kept walking and made a clicking sound with his mouth, and the deer stopped at the street. Witnessing this has made me a little more cautious about being outside when deer are present.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,854 times
Hey, I'm all for talking to your neighbor about it and trying to resolve it in a "neighborly" fashion. However it's nice to have that stick, just in case you need to use it You can take the info from the site and other points mentioned in this thread to reason with them and explain why feeding the deer really isn't in the best interest of themselves, their neighbors or the deer.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Talk to them....

They are causing more harm to the deer than they are doing good for them...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAqgQFT9Dhuws

Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,913 times
A few more thoughts about feeding deer. Establishing a "feeding station" increases the chance of disease among the deer, as you are causing an unnatural concentration in one area. That concentration will also attract predators and other animals (raccoons, insects, rodents, snakes...) It also lures them away from good, natural habitat. This is particularly of concern to young or weakened deer, who, if you go away on vacation, will have to consume precious energy in trying to find natural feeding grounds. Those vulnerable deer will also have a harder time getting what they need at the feeding station, as dominant deer will prevent access to a concentrated source. It is actually weakening the herd. Young deer need to learn how to find appropriate food, and waiting in the yard for a handout is not functional. Doing this is really a selfish activity. People may enjoy doing this because they like observing the deer or it makes them feel good about their own benevolence, but this comes at a cost to the deer. Feeding birds usually is OK. Otherwise, no wildlife should be fed.

Oh, I forgot to mention that deer are carriers of ticks, and a feeding station can increase the tick population in you yard.

Last edited by G Grasshopper; 06-02-2010 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin