Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
It's not that they're bad neighbors, they're actually just fine. They're Chinese and I have very little in common with them
What does their being Chinese have to do with it? We have new neighbors from China and they have been very approachable. How do you know you have very little in common with them if you haven't spoken with them much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Yeah, if just feeding the deer is the worst neighbor problem you have, maybe you should just be thankful for that. And deer poop isn't really that bad, it just looks like little fertilizer pellets.

You could plant some extra-deer resistant plants in the trouble areas, or spray some coyote urine (or other deer-away products) along whatever entry spots they are using to get into your yard.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Do they speak English?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 AM

139 posts, read 350,771 times
"Passive" - taking to the internet rather than speaking to your neighbors.

"Aggressive" - asking for a place to call to report them for feeding the deer in your neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingugly View Post
"Passive" - taking to the internet rather than speaking to your neighbors.

"Aggressive" - asking for a place to call to report them for feeding the deer in your neighborhood.
That seems to be stretching the definition to an extreme. Had they actually "outed" the neighbors, then that'd be one thing. Asking for some advice on what to do is completely different. Ditto asking for a place to call vs actually placing the call.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 595 times
To all of you that have no heart for the poor deer. First of all, we all know corn is not the best food for deer, they are better off to hunt for the natural food. The problem is us "human"? destroy their food plots, cutting down their food sources. I see a lot of deer are skin and bone, what you see are their rib cages, especially during the drought, that's when I start to feed them. Though the corn is not the best for them, but it beats to starve to death, people eat stuff from trash when they are very hungry and keep them survived. We took away their food plant, plant those "deer resistant" plants built gigantic houses, drove them to die from starvation. At least we can do is "supplement" them a little bit and live peaceful with them. If you absolutely hates wild lives, move to the high rise in downtown, somewhere the wild lives had been completely driven out by "human". And I would say, we should stop people moving in, we are getting "over populated", we should pack some people up ans relocate them to Alaska, Montana, Idaho where there are more rooms or even somewhere in Texas that don't have these many "human". Just my opinion.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:49 PM

73 posts, read 89,957 times
Maintaining a stationary feeding area for local deer could actually help to prevent damage caused by deer feeding on plants and other items on your property and in the general area, but it is still illegal by city standards. Don't get authorities involved immediately. Are they feeding the deer by hand or leaving a trough out for them? If they feed them by hand, come outside while they're doing it, and interact with them a bit. Gauge their mood when they're interacting with the deer...it may be generally bringing them joy to do it. Try striking up a conversation with them, and casually mention that they could get in trouble if they get caught.

If your intention is to report them without creating tension by making it obvious that it was you, just continue striking up conversation with them if/when you get a chance. If you actually appear to not mind it so much, they'd be less inclined to think it was you that reported them, if you ultimately want to go that route.

Try "deer-away" type repellents, or...and i'm being serious...scare them. Run at them shouting and waving your arms (the deer, not the neighbors....though please record it if you do it to the neighbors). If the deer are agitated enough when near your property they will know to avoid it when they're waiting to be fed. If they're being fed they're probably not harming anyone so they shouldn't be much of a problem, but I understand you not wanting them on your property.

I've experienced quite a few situations where the deer were so trusting they would actually come up to eat from my hand. I even had a fawn allow me to scratch her behind the ears and pet her muzzle. She followed me around for a half hour after that and would come by every day for about 2 weeks to see me. Sometimes she would just plop down in the corner of the yard and watch me go about my business. Nuisance animals for sure, but they can be sweet. Never got a tick from interacting with her (though I did wear repellent every time I went outside). She eventually stopped coming when it got got colder and she didn't come back after that. Good thing - she needn't become too trusting of humans or get used to going into neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin