Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 PM

11 posts, read 52,490 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Austin from July 10th through the 18th and was just wondering what kind of things there were to do there whether they're touristy or not. As well as any good places to eat.

I'll be staying in Downtown and don't quite have anything specific I'd like to do just looking for more ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Well, first you should be prepared for heat. July in Austin is always very hot.

There are dozens of very good restaurants all over Austin. So it depends on what you like. Upscale? Casual? Seafood? Steaks? comfort food? Bar B Que? Tex-Mex? Sushi?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,852 times
You might search the forum's threads on the subject, lots of info on city-data

Old 05-23-2010, 01:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Being downtown you will have access to lots of great places to eat and drink. You can have a great time just roaming the streets and people watching. It is very safe to wander around and sight see downtown. You could easily spend a week just exploring downtown and the SoCo south Congress avenue areas.

The Driskol Hotel BAR at East 6th and Brazos has an abbreviated menu with very reasonable prices in a great old historic buillding.

One of my favorite Mexican food restaurants is Cantina Laredo at 3rd and Colorado.

Take an Austin Segway Tour Austin Texas Segway Tours with SegCity Segway Tours And Sales

or a carriage ride around downtown. Austin Carriage historic tours, rides, and sevices from Austin's Original Horse Drawn Carriage Company, Austin TX

At sunset go watch the bats fly out from under the Congress Avenue bridge, there are thousands of them. I just noticed that Segway has a bat tour also. Congress Bridge Bats Austin Things To Do Listing on Austin City Guide

For a fun comedy/magic show check out :: Welcome to Esther's Follies ::

YouTube - Esther's Follies

For exercise there is very popular hike and bike trail that is almost continuous along both sides of Town Lake/Lady Bird Lake.

The Austin Chronicle City Guide - AustinChronicle.com has a great city guide to everything that is going on during the time you are here.

If you have a car and want to venture further a field check out these threads.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...do-whilst.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ome-ideas.html

Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 52,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Well, first you should be prepared for heat. July in Austin is always very hot.

There are dozens of very good restaurants all over Austin. So it depends on what you like. Upscale? Casual? Seafood? Steaks? comfort food? Bar B Que? Tex-Mex? Sushi?
I'm used to the heat and humidity, I live in Florida so I can't imagine it being worse than here.

And as far as food goes, I pretty much eat anything besides shell fish and that's because of allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: