Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 15,637 times

Advertisements

I am a single 30 year old Black female looking for advice on moving to Austin, Texas? Is Austin a good place for me?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
That's too little info for us to give an opinion... So I couldn't really say if Austin is for you. What are your interests? What characteristics do you like in a city? Are you moving for a job opportunity? Are you prepared for a much slower lifestyle in a smaller city? The answers to those questions would probably yield some more useful responses.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:37 AM

Well I'm moving from a big city and want to relocate to city that is not as fast pace. I honestly don't have any employment opportunities lined up yet. I just applied to a few. Basically, I will just be working and attending school...hanging on the weekends (when possible)...Other than that, I just do whatever moves me at the moment. If that's taking a trip to a museum, taking in a movie or just a walk through the park I'm pleased.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBk View Post
Well I'm moving from a big city and want to relocate to city that is not as fast pace. I honestly don't have any employment opportunities lined up yet. I just applied to a few. Basically, I will just be working and attending school...hanging on the weekends (when possible)...Other than that, I just do whatever moves me at the moment. If that's taking a trip to a museum, taking in a movie or just a walk through the park I'm pleased.
Unless you have a lot of money saved up, it's not a good idea to make a major move to a new city if you don't have a job lined up in that new city (especially now with the bad job market across the country).

What interests you in Austin? Do you have friends/family living here? Have you been here before? I ask these questions because I've seen a lot of people who move to Austin from larger cities like New York without considering how different the lifestyle is here compared to that of the larger city.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Although I have money saved up I don't plan on moving anywhere unless I am fully employed and have a place to stay.

My interest in Austin came from a girlfriend who lives there. She loves it and knowing me she thinks I would love it the same. I intend to visit Austin within the next couple of months just to get a feel for it.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:20 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,062 times
I'm part of a couple late 20s moved to Austin from another southern Urban center. Austin is the only place in Texas I would live. It's just big enough a city that all the major acts seem to come through here but it's small enough and population is largely educated enough that crime isn't an overwhelming issue. You like fine dinning? They have it here. Music scene? It's here. Hair salons? It's here too. You buy a house out in the suburbs you'll probably feel isolated but if you have an open mind and don't buy in like Hutto or someplace in the stix you'll probably really like it here. If you are a NY who is kind of a NY snob and doesn't think anyplace else in the country is as good as New York, you wont' like here. If you think you'd like a different kind of lifestyle then this might be the place for you.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Hutto...In the sticks? Maybe 10 or 15 yrs. ago. Not so much anymore. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a single transplant from NY though. There are a number of NY'ers who live out here but they all are married with small kids.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Hutto, in the sticks? .... Yep! IT IS!

Hutto is 28 miles to downtown Austin. Granted it is much closer if you are only going to the City limits.

Sure you can go there for shopping and day trips, but its not exactly around the corner.

For perspective, OakHill is less then 10 miles away, but easily takes 50 minutes during rush hour.

I can only guess that Hutto to CBD Austin is measured in 1++ hours during rush hour.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:15 PM

160 posts, read 365,675 times
Hutto would also be my definition of living in the "sticks". There is a lot of people that like that lifestyle though.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:33 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
You guys really ought to get out to where the real "sticks" are. Try the commute from Brazoria to Houston. Brazoria is in the sticks. My dad lives South of Tyler, out toward Mineola...that's the sticks. Thrall/Granger...sticks. New Corn Hill is out in the sticks. Santa Fe, Tx...sticks. Any town that's 28 to 30 minutes outside of a big city isn't the boonies. When I lived in Houston I lived 30 minutes from downtown (in High School). Houston is so big, 30 minutes is practically "around the corner". The toll road and back roads make a commute into downtown shorter, not longer than an hour. My next door neighbor works downtown and gets there in under an hour everyday...He just avoids 35. Maybe it's just how my perceptions were from living in Houston but anything from Georgetown to Pflugerville just doesn't seem that far from Austin and having grown up in a town that really wasn't near a city at all and really was the sticks I just have to disagree.

BTW, I'm typing this with a smile on my face and in good humor too. I'm not angry or anything, in case I get misconstrued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin