Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,751,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAustin View Post
Hutto would also be my definition of living in the "sticks". There is a lot of people that like that lifestyle though.
THAT lifestyle? (J/K, still laughing). My husband and I have done our time living in Urban environments (Houston and Denver). There are a lot of things I still love and miss a little, living close to the action and all. When my daughter was very young, it was great for me to live so centrally in Denver because we lived very close to City Park, the museums, etc...and I could just get on my bike and tow her to those things so she could be entertained and I wouldn't get "cabin fever". Hutto isn't the town of our dreams but it's nice for now. We went suburban this time because we just wanted more elbow room. Our yard in Denver was really small and we wanted our daughter to have more room to run around and we also wanted a bigger yard to putter around in. We have 4 trees in our backyard right now, with plans for a few more and our city yard only had room for one. The culture shock of any of the towns outside of central Austin would be too much for someone from NYC, especially a single person.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,160,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
You guys really ought to get out to where the real "sticks" are. Try the commute from Brazoria to Houston. Brazoria is in the sticks. My dad lives South of Tyler, out toward Mineola...that's the sticks. Thrall/Granger...sticks. New Corn Hill is out in the sticks. Santa Fe, Tx...sticks. Any town that's 28 to 30 minutes outside of a big city isn't the boonies. When I lived in Houston I lived 30 minutes from downtown (in High School). Houston is so big, 30 minutes is practically "around the corner". The toll road and back roads make a commute into downtown shorter, not longer than an hour. My next door neighbor works downtown and gets there in under an hour everyday...He just avoids 35. Maybe it's just how my perceptions were from living in Houston but anything from Georgetown to Pflugerville just doesn't seem that far from Austin and having grown up in a town that really wasn't near a city at all and really was the sticks I just have to disagree.

BTW, I'm typing this with a smile on my face and in good humor too. I'm not angry or anything, in case I get misconstrued.
I'm sure they're not trying to make you angry, but I wouldn't use definition of Houston "sticks" for anywhere else but Houston---place is HUGE! lol Generally the smaller the city, the bigger "the sticks" are.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
Iam a single black female looking to move to Austin Tx. I have a 10yr old daughter and 18 yr old twins that will be coming around the start of the new 2014 school year.. I have some money saved but will be staying with a friend until I can find decent , housing..Iam a healthcare profession-Patient Accounts Medicare Biller on the EPIC system, Insurance claims adjuster and several other hats..I need to know where to move when you are just starting over,job opportunities and school districts..Thanks

Old 05-01-2014, 05:07 PM

123 posts, read 301,688 times
Pack your bags...and come! Just relocated here from the Jersey Shore area. Its different. Its a melting pot of people here. You will be just fine. THE FOOD IS AWESOME HERE! Traffic sucks...but hey sure beats snow storms. Its a fun city.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:28 PM

34 posts, read 43,853 times
I'm glad I read this we are moving from a big city to Austin soon and I'm worried. but we are visiting first and looking at houses about 30 mins from Austin.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:42 AM

597 posts, read 1,320,706 times
For working class minorities Round Rock and Pflugerville are the places to be. The housing is affordable compared to the city. I can't speak to the schools but I don't get the impression they are particularly bad or anything. But whatever you do you'll want to live as close to where you work as possible. Even if you are coming from larger cities I can't stress enough how bad traffic a can be here. You have far less options for travel, just two main free roads for going north to south. The toll roads are very expensive and poorly located so a long commute will seriously hurt your quality of life. Unless you have serious money you'll end up living on the outskirts of north or far south Austin.
Although crime is getting worse, the worst neighborhood in Austin doesn't even compare to a bad neighborhood in lots of other cities. Also gentrification is coming to Austin's rough parts rather quickly.
Culturally if you like "black" nightclubs you'll be disappointed because they don't exist in great numbers. What does exist is lots of entertainment and events, some of which are geared toward black people. Lots of great musical acts, local acts comedians, etc. I could literally do something every week if I wanted to/could afford it. The more open minded you are the more fun you'll have.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 AM

34 posts, read 43,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug76 View Post
Pack your bags...and come! Just relocated here from the Jersey Shore area. Its different. Its a melting pot of people here. You will be just fine. THE FOOD IS AWESOME HERE! Traffic sucks...but hey sure beats snow storms. Its a fun city.
Hey there Travelbug, I was just wondering do you think a girl who lived both in Utah, and California suburbs (desert) might find some comfort there. I don't like the NYC life daily its wearing me out, I want to "access" the city when I want it, if that makes sense.

I was asking you because of your proximity to us here in NYC coming from the shore, my Dad had a condo on the shore when I was younger... miss it.

Take care!

Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 PM

152 posts, read 197,379 times
From living all over Texas I would say single black females will be happier in Houston.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:17 PM

123 posts, read 301,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappygurl View Post
Hey there Travelbug, I was just wondering do you think a girl who lived both in Utah, and California suburbs (desert) might find some comfort there. I don't like the NYC life daily its wearing me out, I want to "access" the city when I want it, if that makes sense.

I was asking you because of your proximity to us here in NYC coming from the shore, my Dad had a condo on the shore when I was younger... miss it.

Take care!
I am sure you will be fine here. Utah and the desert of Cali....lol if you can live there you can live anywhere. I like Round Rock area. I have seen quite a few AA there. Not by the droves lol but more than I thought I would see. I will add this...even though I am from NJ....I am shocked at the cost of living here. By no way is it NJ/NYC prices but it's pretty costly. I looked at few places and these were 1br apts and they were over $1k for damn near a studio(that's how small it was). I was like whoa. Its somewhat a shocker. So other than housing and traffic(OH THE TRAFFIC......IS BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD)Austin is cool place.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,241,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug76 View Post
I am sure you will be fine here. Utah and the desert of Cali....lol if you can live there you can live anywhere. I like Round Rock area. I have seen quite a few AA there. Not by the droves lol but more than I thought I would see. I will add this...even though I am from NJ....I am shocked at the cost of living here. By no way is it NJ/NYC prices but it's pretty costly. I looked at few places and these were 1br apts and they were over $1k for damn near a studio(that's how small it was). I was like whoa. Its somewhat a shocker. So other than housing and traffic(OH THE TRAFFIC......IS BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD)Austin is cool place.
Housing is expensive because property taxes are high because there's no state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin