Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,902,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
. "If it's so peaceful, why do so many Texans carry guns?"

I would venture to guess that you just answered your own question.
^Ha! Exactly. Can't rep you again yet, but "+1"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM

587 posts, read 1,421,904 times
Quote:

+1 from me too! Yep! I was thinking the exact same thing, myself!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM

27 posts, read 70,685 times
Quote:

Maybe so, but packing guns is nothing to be proud of--shows very little faith in the "peaceful" nature of your fellow Austinites. And good luck with the Texas school board--I guess evolution never made it to Texas.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,459,633 times
Funny - I was studying evolution (via reading Darwin) at my Daddy's knee when I was in 4th grade - and he was a preacher in East Texas in the 1950's. Guess evolution DID make it to Texas, after all - but this isn't science, this is politics that we're seeing in action, and that's something very different.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 PM

27 posts, read 70,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Guess evolution DID make it to Texas, after all - but this isn't science, this is politics that we're seeing in action, and that's something very different.
Yep, and your politicians are the missing link.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:54 AM

152 posts, read 851,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHighDef View Post
Aahahhahahaaa!! You are just a HATER!! Who must not likes what they see in the Mirror!! You clearly know not a thing about the real Austin or it.s people or weather. This is what we did on Sunday in Austin. If you look you will see people of all walks of life who came together in Peace to go fly a kite. Yes that is right in Peace!! That is the way we live here. I read all this stuff from folks in other city's trying their best to bash Austin is just so funny to me. I grew up in the NE and have been all over this Wonderful Country!! There are allot of Great places to live. I could live in any city I wished and you know Austin is the place for me. Hopefully you feel the same way about the place you live. I think you would say that you do but really Deep Down you are not happy with it. That is why you are here saying the things you are saying. From all of us here in Little Old Austin!! We Wish You Peace!!
Nice video. We tried to get there last Sunday, but the traffic and parking was horrendous. Was there anything else happening besides kite flying?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,028,107 times
Yes, SXSW Interactive is going on right now and the town is crawling with hipster technophiles. The rodeo was going on, and something else that i can't remember. I think the SXSW film festival after the itneractive portion is starting to ramp up, and then the music festival after that. This town is the place to be in the spring. Did anyone else get green beer for lunch?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,271,337 times
I would agree that Seattle is a nice city, but it really has lost it's luster since the 90's when it was "the place to be". Housing is completely unaffordable, the crime rate is skyhigh, and the traffic ranks among the worst in the nation. However, if you can overlook the bad stuff, Seattle has beautiful scenery and a great climate (mainly in the summer months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTony View Post
Austin has almost surpassed all the hype that Seattle and Portland got back in the '90s for being the putative coolest U.S. cities. I was in Austin in the summertime years ago and ironically found myself daydreaming of the Pacific Northwest because it was unbelievably hot and humid. The traffic was bad then--'03--and I can imagine it's gotten much worse with all the people moving in there. Reminds me of the Husker Du song (title escapes me)--"the sun belt's overcrowded and there's nowhere left to go" and that was '84. I guess I admire the optimism of transplants, but there's no way Austin and cities like it are ever going to live up to their hype. Although I do admit that Seattle is a very pleasant city and I'd live there any day over Austin.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM

804 posts, read 1,966,692 times
I wish people would give more serious consideration than "I spent a weekend in Austin, I'm moving there". There have been many who move here and are either disappointed, or try to turn it into the city they left (DFW, LA, etc.). It has had a drastic impact on the area.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,068,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
I wish people would give more serious consideration than "I spent a weekend in Austin, I'm moving there". There have been many who move here and are either disappointed, or try to turn it into the city they left (DFW, LA, etc.). It has had a drastic impact on the area.
I don't know. I spent a three day weekend in Seattle and decided to move there. I was there for 18 years and for the first 10 was fairly happy, then it changed too much (more traffic, col of living became outrageous) I think you can get a sense of fit in a few days.

I think the people who move here and want to change it do so not because they have fallen in love with Austin, they move here for jobs or lower cost of living. In a sense, they are pushed here rather than pulled here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin