Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:11 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times

Advertisements

That's not a fault line that the US maps show. So, I'll go with something other than your reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,495 times
I was in the Inner Space Cavern yestarday in Gerogetown, I saw the fault line with my own eyes (pretty cool). It's inactive, etc, but it was cool to actually see one. I'll see if I have a pic to share...

llkltk - you can call them if you want another reference that whas has been posted here.

If you haven't been, it's an interesting attraction.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 PM

189 posts, read 296,432 times
Default AUSTIN IS THE BEST!! Know Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I think that the people who posted that it was wrong of me to post this have issues. Be careful of what you judge when you don't know the person's intentions. Very rude postings from a few of you.
AUSTIN IS THE BEST!! Know Why?

Because Austin doesn't have a violent military Junta poised to over throw the local government. Isn't Austin swell............

Old 02-28-2010, 08:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
That's not a fault line that the US maps show. So, I'll go with something other than your reference.
Okay, how about something from the U.S.G.S.? (That is a U.S. map, I'm guessing you'll agree, even if it is just of Texas and the Balcones Fault Zone.)

Old 02-28-2010, 08:58 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,615 times
Quote:
Then I guess the minor (very minor, but there none-the-less) earthquakes I've felt here have been just for ****s and giggles and part of my imagination.

I have nothing against those who've moved here recently, but don't be so defiant against something that all school children in this area learn about in multiple grade levels.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
Then I guess the minor (very minor, but there none-the-less) earthquakes I've felt here have been just for ****s and giggles and part of my imagination.

I have nothing against those who've moved here recently, but don't be so defiant against something that all school children in this area learn about in multiple grade levels.
Moved here over 10 years ago. It's inactive so it doesn't count. Sick of the comments about nothing against those who moved here recently. Move on, Austin is a mix of people from all over the country, and it will continue to be. Why do you think our economy is so much better than the rest of the country, transplants!!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Well, if you've been here for ten years and have clearly had time to hear about the Balcones Fault (it's not like we hide it or anything), why are you so adamant that something that's been here for a heck of a lot longer than that isn't here, in the face of evidence from multiple sources?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,615 times
Quote:
Moved here over 10 years ago. It's inactive so it doesn't count. Sick of the comments about nothing against those who moved here recently. Move on, Austin is a mix of people from all over the country, and it will continue to be. Why do you think our economy is so much better than the rest of the country, transplants!!!!
Seriously - again, I have nothing against those transplants who have moved here (except when they get on here and whine). But, my point is, don't say there are no faults here when there are multiple earthquakes on record in the last (insert number here) years. They exist, because there are multiple faults - the exact opposite of what your statements have been. Your one reference didn't show any of these faults, but when I (and others) corrected you - we were wrong because of your one reference. I simply was stating I could tell you are a transplant because any one who went through any geography class in this area knows of the Balcones fault, among others.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Chapter 12 of, State of Texas Hazards Analysis, by the Governor's Division of Emergency Management, Department of Public Safety, Austin, Texas, 1998.

Regional Hazard Assessment
South-Central Texas (Largest City - San Antonio)

Counties Included (19): Atascosa, Bastrop, Bexar, Brazos, Burleson, Caldwell, Comal, Gaudelupe, Grimes, Hayes, Jim Wells, Karnes, Lavaca, Lee, Live Oak, Travis, Waller, Washington, Wilson

Hazard Level: Earthquakes with epicenters within this region are rare and small; perhaps 10-20 earthquakes with magnitudes between 3 and 4.5 will occur each century. A significant fraction of these earthquakes are induced by human activities, notably petroleum production. These events pose little or no risk unless their foci are extremely close to poorly built or very sensitive structures.

Justification: Many small earthquakes, some of natural origin and others induced by man's activities, have occurred in these counties.

http://www.ig.utexas.edu/research/projects/eq/compendium/earthquakes.htm#South-Central%20Texas (broken link)

Old 03-01-2010, 06:46 AM

61 posts, read 173,128 times
Quote:
There are no fault lines. With all of these earthquakes happening it's yet another great reason to live in Austin.
If you stand at Barton Springs road and Lamar. Look to the south west you will see our fault line. It is that cliff right there with the condos on it. We don't get large quakes much in Texas but we do get small ones from time to time here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin