Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
My doctor won't let me do the shots - they do them there.
I wonder why. My doctor doesn't want you to come each week. That's why he charges to give them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I wonder why. My doctor doesn't want you to come each week. That's why he charges to give them.
Apparently the risk of anaphylaxis and allergic reaction is too great. They don't charge for the visit, and you don't need an appointment, youjust walk-in and get the shot. They make you wait there for 20 minutes afterwards to make sure you are OK. The doctor himself doesn't do it, he has a nurse / assistant do it.

BTW, this is Austin Diagnostic Clinic at North Austin Medical Center.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Apparently the risk of anaphylaxis and allergic reaction is too great. They don't charge for the visit, and you don't need an appointment, youjust walk-in and get the shot. They make you wait there for 20 minutes afterwards to make sure you are OK. The doctor himself doesn't do it, he has a nurse / assistant do it.

BTW, this is Austin Diagnostic Clinic at North Austin Medical Center.
I guess that's why I have those EpiPens in the drawer...haven't thought about them since I got them.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,576 times
Someone told me that if you take a spoonful every day of honey (local made only) it will help curb Cedar Fever.

I had it pretty bad last year. May try it for this year.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
This is what cedar pollen looks like, no wonder it is so irritating when it gets in your sinuses, little spiked balls.
http://timesonline.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/03/19/pollen.gif (broken link)
http://timesonline.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/03/19/pollen.gif (broken link)

Here is an image of a cedar tree releasing a cloud of pollen.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blo...ass%20(17).JPG

The pollen count gets extremely high when cedar is pollenating.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ePZvwZF7Uw...ergy_chart.jpg

Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I guess that's why I have those EpiPens in the drawer...haven't thought about them since I got them.
Keep an eye on those expiration dates! You never know when you are going to need to give yourself an epi shot!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Someone told me that if you take a spoonful every day of honey (local made only) it will help curb Cedar Fever.
I have heard this also---wonder if it works. If you think about it...it makes sense. In theory, you are actually desensitizing yourself to the cedar pollen.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
It can, but it can also have the same negative reaction as the allergy shots, so be careful and start small. Its effectiveness may also vary with the particular allergy and the season, as well.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM

43 posts, read 79,398 times
Note that even Dr Cook says the stronger (hypertonic) saline solution you describe is only for short term use. Some studies have indicated you may damage your cilia with that and an isotonic solution is safer -- 1 teaspoon in 16 oz water. Here's my recipe from another post:
The recipe I like is as follows: 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon Xylitol in 16 oz water. This will produce an "isotonic" solution meaning it's a similar salt concentration to the body's level. Lower levels will push water into the tissues and higher will draw it out. The first is uncomfortable and while the latter may have some benefit in terms of reducing swelling if used short term there are some studies indicating that a stronger (hypertonic) solution may damage the cilia so I'd rather play it safe. The baking soda buffers the solution. There have been a number of interesting studies done with Xylitol indicating it interferes with bacteria and it looks like it's valuable for dental use and to reduce ear infections. I use this body temp solution as a rinse with an ear syringe bulb which will give you a little more push than the neti pot. Be sure to open your mouth wide and say "Ahhh..." as you do it to be sure you don't push the liquid where it doesn't belong (like the eustachian tube). You can see people doing all kinds of things with their neti pots and ear syringe bulbs on YouTube (including using Scotch -- bad idea!!). The saline rinse does help if for no other reason than you can get the pollens out of where they are causing trouble. Bend and turn your head around for a while after -- otherwise you can get a surprise release of solution later in what might be a more awkward situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin