Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'll be moving to Austin this summer from Cleveland, Ohio(bad time I know...but that's when it's happening ). Anyway, I've been reading a little about your cedar/juniper trees...and what they put out at certain times of the year seems hellish. I have a fairly bad hayfever(ragweed) allergy, but over the years I have found a good combination of meds to keep it in check for the 6 weeks up here that it rages. The info I'm seeing is that cedar fever is a bunch worse and that there's not much relief to be had. One site I saw said it was part of being a Texan...

This is a big drag.

Any suggestions on what folks do when that stuff starts gettin' sassy?

Also, is the ragweed season much longer than the 6 weeks up north?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 06:56 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Yeah, the cedar fever can be pretty bad, but you never know if you will be affected. I, for whatever reason, am not affected at all by the cedar fever, even though some grasses and molds drive me nuts. I have lived in central Texas for over 30 years, so I have given it plenty of time to develop.

As for as how to treat it, get an allergy doctor here to work with. 'Cures' seem to be very person specific - one will work great for one person but not at all for another. The best thing to do is to have it addressed immediately instead of suffering through a couple of over the counter meds. There are allergy shots (have to start early), pills (Zyrtec, etc.), and nasal sprays (don't know the name, but a couple seem to work well for people).

On the other hand, there are probably a few people that can give you first hand answers .

Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks TW,

I use a combo of nasal sprays pills for other stuff so maybe with a little luck...First thing I'll do when I get there is find a good allergist.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:39 AM

18 posts, read 76,703 times
Default Bioset for allergies (cedar fever)?

Is there anyone in the Austin metro area that does Bioset Allergy Elimination Treatments?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:28 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Hi there,

I'll be moving to Austin this summer from Cleveland, Ohio(bad time I know...but that's when it's happening ). Anyway, I've been reading a little about your cedar/juniper trees...and what they put out at certain times of the year seems hellish. I have a fairly bad hayfever(ragweed) allergy, but over the years I have found a good combination of meds to keep it in check for the 6 weeks up here that it rages. The info I'm seeing is that cedar fever is a bunch worse and that there's not much relief to be had. One site I saw said it was part of being a Texan...

This is a big drag.

Any suggestions on what folks do when that stuff starts gettin' sassy?

Also, is the ragweed season much longer than the 6 weeks up north?

Thanks

Ragweed and Elm are both peaked out right now. If you are alergic it is miserable. Swolen eyes, tiredness. My wife is alergic to ragweed and has been miserable for two weeks now.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:11 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
The Cedar didn't affect me at all for the first 4-years I lived in Austin, then it started making me really sick every year. This year, though, I've had no trouble at all (maybe because all the rain has kept it washed out of the air).

Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Ragweed and Elm are both peaked out right now. If you are alergic it is miserable. Swolen eyes, tiredness. My wife is alergic to ragweed and has been miserable for two weeks now.
Yea, I've got the ragweed thing. I had it in Ohio as well, but the season is obviously longer here. I took my last pill this morning so I'm running to the pharmacy fr a re-fill immediately...

Flonase/Clarinex seems to work OK for me.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Central/North Texas has some of the worse pollen seasons in the country. If you are sensitive, the fall (especially after a wet summer like this one) will be very hard on you.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:35 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
Cedar fever happens to you or it doesn't. If it does, then you have my deepest sympathies because I've watched other people going through it and it doesn't seem like much fun. That's putting it mildly.

I have allergies to all kinds of things but have never had cedar fever in my 17 seasons here. Having allergy problems doesn't tell you whether or not this particular problem will get you. But if it does, then re-visit this forum and ask for all the contacts you can get for the best doctors, home remedies, or just spend December and January in another state. I know wealthy open-minded people who have tried the most expensive treatments and haven't had success.

The good news is that most people don't get it severely, if at all.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,592 times
Im suffereing from this right now!!!!! and it seems like most of the year! i live in North Austin, TX . for me its cedar and oak what can i do, nothing im taking seems to work much if at all?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin