Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:10 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times

Advertisements

All I can say is don't drive that hill during an ice storm... Trust me on that!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post

All of the whining coming from people who voluntarily CHOSE to move here needs to be ignored. This "everything needs to be safe and soft" mentality makes me sick.
Makes you sick? People don't deserve to die because some foolishly reckless person thinks 2222 is their own personal race track.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Makes you sick? People don't deserve to die because some foolishly reckless person thinks 2222 is their own personal race track.
Yes. That's right. It makes me sick.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I remember well the first time I drove 2222, in the dark, in my MGB, back when it was a challenge, when you were going out to the lake, not living at the lake and commuting in. It's been widened/straightened considerably since then, into a pale shadow of its former self, because so many of the people who moved out to the lake and commuted in apparently didn't seem to be able to drive OR slow down.
I think it was because so many people died on the road. I had a really good friend that died in a car wreck on that road back 35 years ago. It was considerably more dangerous back then. It seems really safe now compared to how it used to be. It's a shame that people are still dying on it.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
First, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I lost a friend, too, about that same time, in a vehicle accident, but it was on a straight section of I35.

Could it be that so many people died (wonder how many that might be and if there's any way to find out) because enough people moved out there that didn't understand that you actually have to slow down on a windy, curvy, hilly road like that?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,217 times
Some of the speed limits on these roads outside the city invite you to press the limits. I think it's irresponsible to legally allow drivers to go 65mph where you have so many driveways, turns, and businesses. Fast traffic makes it VERY VERY hard for others to slow, stop, turn or simply use the road safely. It also endangers cyclists. With the stoplights on Bee Caves, you don't gain anything measurable by going 65 vs 55mph.

It's TX culture though - huge state so you must put the pedal to floor to get anywhere, right?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:57 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post

Oh yeah, i know this gonna **** people off but bicycles dont belong on any of those roads. JMO

On the roads that have the super wide shoulders, there is nothing unsafe about cycling on them, if you ride smart.

The problems are when people want to go highway speeds where they don't belong going highway speeds. Much of the blame goes to whoever designed these roads and said it was legal to go 60mph with businesses everywhere.

MPG turns to sheet when you have to stop and reaccelerate to 60mph all the time. MASSIVELY inefficient transportation.

Any road that has a business or home on it (360, bee caves, 71) SHOULD allow more than just cars. Cars are not the only viable means of transportation. You DON"T NEED TO GO 60mph TO GO 5 miles down the road. It's not restricted access technically, but sometimes they essentially say "fend for yourself, you cyclist" (Bee Caves east of 360).

Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,778,051 times
i once saw a guy on a bicycle going down that steep hill on 2222...lol he was flying!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
On the roads that have the super wide shoulders, there is nothing unsafe about cycling on them, if you ride smart.

The problems are when people want to go highway speeds where they don't belong going highway speeds. Much of the blame goes to whoever designed these roads and said it was legal to go 60mph with businesses everywhere.

MPG turns to sheet when you have to stop and reaccelerate to 60mph all the time. MASSIVELY inefficient transportation.

Any road that has a business or home on it (360, bee caves, 71) SHOULD allow more than just cars. Cars are not the only viable means of transportation. You DON"T NEED TO GO 60mph TO GO 5 miles down the road. It's not restricted access technically, but sometimes they essentially say "fend for yourself, you cyclist" (Bee Caves east of 360).

I agree with most of what youve said here. I simply said people shouldnt ride bikes on those roads. Bicycles go plenty fast down hill but lack acceleration uphill. Most of those roads were designed for auto traffic not bicycles. Further, theres alot more people living in austin today than thirty years ago. Its just not safe. We all have a right to ride where we want but that doesnt mean its wise or safe. I have a right to video tape apd arresting a woman on the drag but im probably not going to do that. I also have a right to swim in shark infested waters but i wont do that either. Ride my bike where motorists can run me over or swipe me with their trailer not likely to find me doing that. Sometimes our right to do something doesnt mesh with pragmatism.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 PM

51 posts, read 147,912 times
Once again another fatality accident at 620/2222. Innocent lives taken by an idiot drunk driver who fled the scene. I have lived here not even a year and a half and half lost a friend to a car wreck on 2222 and know one of the survivors of this latest tragedy. What is this city doing to change things around here? This is not a country highway anymore! There are businesses and apartment entrances all along this stretch between 2222 and Boulder. I noticed a portion of the road had reduced speed limit to 55 mph but the signs are not posted all the way down. The police need to start enforcing this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: