Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM

20 posts, read 72,359 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My realtor has sent me information on several houses in the windridge and balcones oaks subdivisions. The only thing I know about these areas is that they have excellent schools. A drive through the neighborhoods didn't tell me much. Does anyone have any thoughts on these areas? What can I expect in terms of attitude, appreciation/depreciation, etc? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:17 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,142,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobelly View Post
Hi all,
My realtor has sent me information on several houses in the windridge and balcones oaks subdivisions. The only thing I know about these areas is that they have excellent schools. A drive through the neighborhoods didn't tell me much. Does anyone have any thoughts on these areas? What can I expect in terms of attitude, appreciation/depreciation, etc? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
These arent well known neighborhoods, can you give the approximate street boundaries. I live in the area and we feed into laurel mountain, canyon vista and westwood which are 3 of the best schools in austin.

Essentially I think they are north of spicewood springs rd, south of anderson mill and west of 183.

These are fine neighborhoods but dont have the marketing muscle of steiner and circle C. They are a touch too far north to me, but the location is pretty good.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 58,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobelly View Post
Hi all,
This area is roughly bounded by Jollyville Rd to the north, Spicewood Springs to the west, Oak Knoll to the east, and Rain Creek/Oak View to the south. The Oak Forest and Barrington Oaks subdivisions are also in this area.

There is a large variation in house prices and ages, with some very expensive custom homes on the southern side near Great Hills, as well as more affordable homes closer to Jollyville and Spicewood Springs.

The focus of the neighborhood are Oak View Park and adjacent Caraway Elementary. I'd call it a friendly neighborhood with lots of joggers, dog walkers, and kids in strollers. I don't think a liberal or conservative attitude dominates.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 PM

20 posts, read 72,359 times
Thanks for the responses. .

Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 AM

112 posts, read 326,040 times
Anymore thoughts on this area?

I'm just put an offer on a house in one of the windridge subdivisions. I'll admit the area is a tad more north than I wanted since I wanted to be about 15 min from UT campus, but after driving around I really like it. My realtor said that it is a solid neighborhood and should retain its value well. The house we put an offer on is close to the Oak View Park.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:03 PM

I should mention, my deal is not final yet...so please feel free to give your honest opinion on the area.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetrai View Post
Anymore thoughts on this area?

I'm just put an offer on a house in one of the windridge subdivisions. I'll admit the area is a tad more north than I wanted since I wanted to be about 15 min from UT campus, but after driving around I really like it. My realtor said that it is a solid neighborhood and should retain its value well. The house we put an offer on is close to the Oak View Park.
It isnt 15 mins in rush hour but I think you will be surprised at how fast you can get to UT. Even google maps says it is around 15 minutes. I live close by and that has been my experience as well.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetrai View Post
I should mention, my deal is not final yet...so please feel free to give your honest opinion on the area.
This is one of my favorite hidden areas (I didnt even know they had newer houses here). We have friends on three oaks tr which is close by but is in the area of smaller and much older homes. I like it because it is really close to everything, feeds into the best/second best middle/high schools in town and the housing is actually not expensive compared to areas like steiner which are much further out.

This lady is prob your agent but it has info about the neigborhood
Windridge Subdivision | Windridge Neighborhood in Austin Texas
http://www.maryb.com/static/pdfs/win...mographics.pdf

Average income is 150k
52% households have children
76% college grads
Feeds into canyon vista and westwood, two of the best schools in all of the austin metro area.

It has less amenities (pools?) than a steiner, but is so much closer in than steiner, circle c etc. Here are some of the things close by the neighborhood

Asia Cafe best chinese food in town
Sambets - among the best cajun food in town
Annes cakes - great cupcakes and cakes
Arboretum 8 minutes away - south
Alamo drafthouse 8 minutes away north
Domain - 8-10 minutes away east
2 HEB's - under 10 minutes
costco - 8 minutes away
chuys is just a few minutes away
krispy kreme is right there
Most of the large high tech employers, NI, IBM, Freescale, Dell are very close.

You are easy biking distance to 183/oak knoll which has shopping/stores but are far enough away from 183 to not be impacted.

How many $/sq ft are you paying?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:47 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,123,099 times
NW Austin is not that far away from downtown. Maybe a 15-20 min drive when there's no traffic. I've lived and worked in the area for 5 years. Jollyville RD makes a fantastic thoroughfare when 183 gets backed up.

Make sure that the roof was either replaced recently or is checked thoroughly by your inspector. NW Austin got hit by a nasty hail storm at the end of March.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
It isnt 15 mins in rush hour but I think you will be surprised at how fast you can get to UT. Even google maps says it is around 15 minutes. I live close by and that has been my experience as well.

Thanks. I think in non-rush hour it will take me around 20 min to get to UT. I'm hoping my commute in rush hour will be no more than 30-35 min (and that was pushing it for me, I really wanted to be no more than 25 min rush hour from campus). However, I also have to go to Pickle Research Campus, so the area is a good fit (and very short commute).

How long have you been living in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin