Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times

Advertisements

Allow me to admit my ignorance. I'm wondering if there are any places in Round Rock that sell food that isn't contaminated? I'm used to hearing them called things like "co-ops" but maybe that doesn't fit here.

I want to feed the family food that is not going to hurt them. I'm ignorant as to what food is going to make my family ill and what food is going to help my family. From what little I know it would appear the food that is sold in the big supermarkets is going to kill my family. Is that true?

Please, someone with knowledge in this area, would you clear this up? I don't have years to research this topic and the information out there is enough to bury you before the food does.

So, basically I'm looking for a whole food store in the area of Hutto. Does it exist? AND, what I'm looking for is food made without antibiotics, and tons of chemicals. However, having said that...is that all available at the local grocery like Walmart, HEB, Randall's, etc?

Who gets to live? The people that are in the areas where "good" food is sold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
There is Sun Harvest but it is down by Anderson Lane near MoPac. Not quite where you are at but in case nothing better come up!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
From what little I know it would appear the food that is sold in the big supermarkets is going to kill my family. Is that true?
I understand your question, but everything is going to kill you eventually. Breathing kills you probably quicker than anything else, even if you don't live in a heavily polluted area. The wonderful smell of pine trees (I know, not relevant here ) is the smell of organic chemicals that can react in your body. So, personally, I try to identify the higher likelihood issues and avoid them. Trying to avoid all traces of everything foreign will probably not work.

Most grocery stores, including those on your list, sell organic products. Most are labeled, so you can see what 'standard' they meet. It is easier to research the standards than try to research the science behind them. Some standards are more or less stringent than others, so see what they mean to you. Personally, I usually purchase organic milk, since I have found the concerns related to 'regular' milk to be somewhat valid. I also get most (if the prices aren't insane) of my fruit and vegetables organic, at least if the entire item is to be eaten. I don't worry so much about bananas or melons, etc, since I remove the outside anyway. I am more concerned (from a consumption standpoint) about pesticides than I am about genetically modified food. That is a whole 'nuther topic and is more about environment than health.

Anyway, I find that the selection's at the normal grocery stores to be fine. I worry a little about farmer's markets because you never know who decides to 'pretend' to be organic while apply liberal amounts of pesticide . If I buy from a FM, I wash extra carefully....

Old 08-24-2009, 09:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Edible Austin has a Resources page that will show you where farm stands, farmer's markets, CSA's, etc., are in the Austin area. Just click on the appropriate listing on the right.

That being said, yes, most of the "normal" grocery stores (even Walmart, for that matter) have organic produce sections and some have organic other foods, as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:32 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Here is a list of items that are supposedly the most important to buy organic:
14 Most Important Foods to Eat Organic

I've been told that the list changes.

Randall's and other grocery stores have organic items throughout the store, including frozen vegetables and fruit.

Last edited by capcat; 08-24-2009 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 AM

65 posts, read 155,943 times
A Sprouts is opening up in Round Rock in September on the 620/I35 interchange. It's right by the McDonalds there.

Welcome to Sprouts Farmers Market

Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 AM

65 posts, read 155,943 times
There's also a farm share CSA that will drop off veggies for you to pick up in Round Rock every Wednesday.

Johnson's Backyard Garden

Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
More information to ponder in the form of definitions/explanations of terms:
Definitions Used by KidsOrganic.Com

Old 08-24-2009, 10:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I believe that sensible use of most foods and reading labels is more than enough to eat reasonably safely. Rinse your produce before you eat it.

I think compared to being overweight and inactive - focusing on organic is an activity of diminishing returns.

The HEB we shop has an extensive stock of organic food - although I rarely choose it. WalMart is the largest seller of organic food in the US. But so many people are Walmart haters (not me).

Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
WalMart is the largest seller of organic food in the US. But so many people are Walmart haters (not me).
That's a bit misleading since they could sell just organic red grapes and be the largest seller of organic food just by the sheer size of their footprint.

Central Market posts how many organic varieties of vegetables and fruits they have on hand each day. It's always between 70 and 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin