Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

My wife is considering a position at the new Scott & White hospital that is located behind Ikea & the outlet malls.

We currently live in Waco and we don't really know that whole suburban area north of Austin except what we see passing through on I-35. So we're thinking about driving down this weekend and poking around to see where we might want to live if she takes this job.

We have 3 young girls ages 3, 6, and 11 who are active in soccer and swimming. I am a HS science teacher and will also be looking for work in nearby schools if we decide to move. School districts with strong soccer and swimming programs would be a plus.

So we're looking for towns/subdivisions in that area that will provide the best schools and quality of life for us and our kids but that will also be a reasonable commute for my wife. We are probably looking for a master-planned community type of situation with lots of sidewalks, bike paths, community pools and playgrounds, that sort of thing. And our budget is probably in the $400K range give or take.

I've heard Steiner Ranch mentioned but judging from the map it looks like a larger than necessary commute to the Scott&White hospital. But I've never tried to drive it. I know so little about this area that I don't really know where we should be looking. Georgetown? Round Rock proper? Cedar Park? Leander? Pflugerville? And I don't really know what the cross-town commutes are like in that area. I know from experience that I-35 can be a mess. But I don't know what any of the other roads leading into that are from the east or west are like.

Any advice? What would be the best neighborhood/school district to live in that is say a 20 minute or less commute from the new Scott & White Hospital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Leander or Round Rock ISD's are right there and both are generally good. You'll need to look at individual schools that match up with the neighborhoods as some schools are better than others within each district.

I'm more familiar with the neighborhoods just West of Ikea, but Mayfield Ranch, Parkside at Mayfield Ranch, Sendero Springs, Ranch at Brushy Creek, Avery Ranch would all be close to what you're looking for. All are either Leander or Round Rock schools.

Soccerzone and Nitro Swim are both very close to all of the above neighborhoods.

https://www.soccerzoneaustin.com/contact.cfm

Nitro Swimming :

Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 PM

29 posts, read 107,543 times
Agree with the 5 communities mark311 mentioned. You might also consider Behrens Ranch, Stone Canyon, and Teravista (closest option).

Old 08-21-2009, 01:49 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,069 times
I have some friends who live here in Steiner and work at Scott & White, but you're right, it's a hike in rush hour traffic. I like Mayfield Ranch, ranch at Brushy Creek, Teravista. If you're looking for something comparable to Steiner (Master Planned Community), check out Avery Ranch. Hidden Glen is also pretty nice. If you just get off 35 at 1431, and go away from Ikea (West), you'll drice by several neighborhoods you might like. From there, you can turn onto Sam Bass to see neighbrohoods like Behrens Ranch, Hidden Glen, etc... To see Avery Ranch, take 1431 to Parmer and turn left.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:52 PM

132 posts, read 542,233 times
I have a neighbor who is physician at Scott and White and we live in Sendero Springs! If you have any questions regarding this particular neighborhood or any of the surrounding for that matter PM me.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:24 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Thanks guys....

We'll drive down and explore the neighborhoods that you all mentioned.

For those of you who live in that area (Sendero Springs...etc) Do you like it? Are you happy with the neighborhoods, schools, amenities?

Or would you rather live someplace farther away? Seems to me that there should be good options quite close to Scott & White and there is no need to tackle a monster commute.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:36 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
I have some friends who live here in Steiner and work at Scott & White, but you're right, it's a hike in rush hour traffic. I like Mayfield Ranch, ranch at Brushy Creek, Teravista. If you're looking for something comparable to Steiner (Master Planned Community), check out Avery Ranch. Hidden Glen is also pretty nice. If you just get off 35 at 1431, and go away from Ikea (West), you'll drice by several neighborhoods you might like. From there, you can turn onto Sam Bass to see neighbrohoods like Behrens Ranch, Hidden Glen, etc... To see Avery Ranch, take 1431 to Parmer and turn left.

Hidden Glen is very nice and there is another neighborhood right next to it that's very nice. I have a friend that lives there and she loves her neighbors and the neighborhood. TeraVista is also a nice neighborhood and is practically across the street from the hospital. It has community intranet, is somewhat "hilly", golf course/clubhouse, several pools and parks. Same for Hidded Glen and nearby neighborhoods.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
Just spent a great deal of time exploring Teravista. Found a lot of houses for rent and even more for sale (new and re-sale). For my money, I would buy a nearly new re-sale and save on the depreciation. Those builders always charge a premium for all the fancy upgrades contained in the models. Plenty of fabulous homes for sale in Teravista that are less than 3 years old. You can lay down roots as a renter first then if you like it you can buy a slightly used house. I think Teravista's close proximity to the medical and university facilities will bring in fabulous neighbors. You and your family among them. ;-) Also, if your children get sick or have an emergency and you are working far across town, your wife can be there for them really fast. In fact, she could probably ride her bike to work with a commute of less than 1-2 miles.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Thanks guys....

We'll drive down and explore the neighborhoods that you all mentioned.

For those of you who live in that area (Sendero Springs...etc) Do you like it? Are you happy with the neighborhoods, schools, amenities?

Or would you rather live someplace farther away? Seems to me that there should be good options quite close to Scott & White and there is no need to tackle a monster commute.

There's no need to tackle a commute from Steiner or S. Austin when there are more than adequate or comparable neighborhoods on either side of 35 closer to the hospital. Leander and RR are both great districts and there are plenty of amenities that match what you'd find in Steiner.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,790 times
The high schools in the areas mentioned are generally Stony Point and Round Rock (Round Rock ISD) and Vista Ridge and maybe Rouse (Leander ISD). Even though your kids aren't near that age, I'd really investigate which schools would be best for them.

Round Rock has some fantastic elementaries in that area, but their best high schools are McNeil and Westwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin