Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,538,957 times

Advertisements

Has everyone here heard that the city is doing away with parking meters downtown and has converted to a new system?

In case you haven't heard about it, check out this story (http://www.kvue.com/news/newton/stories/111308kvuemeters-bkm.1adb08266.html - broken link).

Today was the first day I parked downtown and paid the new pay station that they have set up. There were two things I wondered:

1) If the city's goal is go "green" (the pay stations are solar-powered), how do they intend to accomplish that if you have to print a parking sticker (to stick on your windshield) that indicates when your time expires? Won't this just generate a lot of paper waste?

2) Is parking still free after 5:30 PM on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,940,178 times
They've had these kinds of meters in Houston for a long time. I like them, because you don't need to have change. I don't typically carry change, and what little I have in the car usually wouldn't get me much time.. It's also really nice not having to worry about pulling into a space with a broken meter.

I'm sure they also cut down big-time on the maintenance and administration costs for the city... don't have to have city workers drive up and down the street emptying the machines all the time. That probably cuts down on some pollution (but probably also a job or two!).

The paper thing, yeah, I don't understand how they can call that "green"... it does seem like a waste. They should let you optionally pick up a card, that you could just stick in the meter and get stamped for the current time. You could re-use it many times.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,918,250 times
I believe the investment was much more initially but will end up saving the city money in maintenance over the course of the meters lives.

Here's a good link about Austin and parking:

Austin Contrarian: Overparked

There are a few more links about parking on this blog if you look around.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 PM

575 posts, read 2,501,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
2) Is parking still free after 5:30 PM on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays?

Any thoughts?
Yes, we parked this weekend and it was part of the info sticker on the particular dispenser close to our spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin