Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If given the choice, what city would you want Austin to resemble in terms of density
New York City 39 66.10%
Los Angeles 20 33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I wouldn't mind 1200sf to myself if I lived alone, but a typical family of 4 doesn't need a 4800sf house (assuming that's what you were referring to).
Yeah, I worded it badly. I wasn't including families.

I think I'll just take back the sq foot comment.... too subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Neither.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,131 times
Ideally, I'd like to see the density of a typical European city - mixed use midrises, walkable, etc.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 AM

308 posts, read 600,350 times
There will be no land. We'll be living like the Jetsons and KIA's will be the TOP vehicle in that centry.

Both NY City and LA will be under-water and considered "The Lost City"

Oh yea.... I hope Social Security will still be around LOLs!!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post
There will be no land. We'll be living like the Jetsons and KIA's will be the TOP vehicle in that centry.

Both NY City and LA will be under-water and considered "The Lost City"

Oh yea.... I hope Social Security will still be around LOLs!!
And eventually we will be watering our crops with gatorade:
Idiocracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But seriously, I think we'll start uploading ourselves near the end of our lives (our memories, talents, dreams, etc.) onto servers by the end of the century. It will start out as a fad for the rich, like cryogenics, then become affordable over time. Maybe we'll be able to interact with others in the system and out. Data Centers will be a huge business because of it.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:44 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Ideally, I'd like to see the density of a typical European city - mixed use midrises, walkable, etc.

+1

I don't see Austin as having many dense areas at all. Very little mixed use buildings, too many parking garages/lots taking up precious space (yeah I know, we need them because it's car-centric).

I'm taking part in the Imagine Austin public forum. The meeting last week was really interesting, though I have doubts that things will ever change much here.

The main reason I live here is because of the great warm weather, and even though the bike infrastructure has LEAPS and BOUNDS to improve, it is still a fairly decent city to bike in, for American standards. The Public Works dept has done a good job in recent years, and has quite a bit of improvements planned. So for all you cyclist haters - there will be more roads designed with cyclists in mind. (Barton Springs rd comes to mind - that is a huge barrier to cycling in the area.)

I do think about visiting and maybe living in Europe one day.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post

+1

I don't see Austin as having many dense areas at all. Very little mixed use buildings, too many parking garages/lots taking up precious space (yeah I know, we need them because it's car-centric).
I don't see this happening at all. I mean, where were you living in the last 10 years? Have you not seen all the mixed use buildings that have been built and are still being developed? If this continues, I do not see Austin taking up too many lots or parking garages. Unless, you're speaking about further parts such as East or South and even North Austin, then yeah I can see this happening. But within its core district, I can totally see it having a very dense downtown district. I don't see it ever becoming like NY but i don't see it becoming like Houston or Dallas anymore than it already is. I see Austin's core growing in population while the city limits will at some point stop growing. I don't see Austin ever getting big at 2 million within its city limits. I do see it maybe at about 1.3 million but that's it.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
ummm.
neither.

I 2nd that!

Neither.

Traffic will be worse here.

It's already comparable.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 PM

156 posts, read 331,231 times
I would like to see it look like San Francisco, but our urban core isn't quite that dense yet.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:32 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaaries View Post
I would like to see it look like San Francisco, but our urban core isn't quite that dense yet.
I live in San Francisco. I do not want it to ever look like San Francisco. God, please, no!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: