Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 AM

8 posts, read 37,665 times

Advertisements

Hello, again,
So, I'm finally going to have an opportunity to visit Austin next month, and I'm very excited! I will be looking at real estate, but also plan to engage in some recreational activities, as I will be travelling sans kids and husband! Could you kind folks please give me the short list of top restaurants (some mexican or tex-mex would be great, but any other type of cuisine would also be welcome) and bars/clubs in the downtown Austin area that my friend and I should check out? I love most types of music, but am not fond of country, so I would prefer to avoid this type of venue.

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 10:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Do you have specific dates you will be interested in going out? Some venues play a wide variety of music that will vary greatly from one night to the next.

In any case, you can try out the Austin Chronicle:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob.../MusicListings

Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 37,665 times
Trainwreck 20:
Thanks for the info-I just checked out the Austin Chronicle website. The options appear virtually limitless-it's a little overwhelming! Are there any particular establishments that I simply must see or that I should avoid, altogether? I will be in Austin May 19-21, so if you have any information or suggestions related to this time period, that would be great. Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:22 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Lots of places, and the Chronicle doesn't even have them all. One of my favorites is Thursday's unplugged at the Grove - Shady Grove does an accoustic show outside on Thursdays through the spring and summer. However, Bruce Robinson is playing that Thursday before you get there, so double whammy - country and you aren't there! The next week is Patrice Pyke, who puts on a very entertaining show, but again, you will be gone....hmmm

Personally, I would avoid 6th street for the most part, since the music tends toward dance music, and even when it is not dance music it is at dance volume, so no conversation for the most part. If the weather is nice, you can try Cedar Street bar http://www.cedarstreetaustin.com/: (broken link)
  • Les & the Funk Mob, Cedar Street, May 20
  • Highly Likely, Jukebox Heroes w/ Robert Wagner, Cedar Street, May 21
You'd have to see if you can find anything on the bands, since I have never heard of them...Part of the venue (the part with the music) is outside, so there will be some smoking, I suppose.

If you like Jazz, try the Elephant Room (http://www.natespace.com/elephant/) (broken link). No smoking and Jazz are kind of weird, but much more enjoyable, imho.
  • Three Jazz Collective, Michael Mordecai's Jazz Jam, Elephant Room, May 21
Actually, I think there is music everynight, but maybe not headlines or maybe not always scheduled this far in advance.

Antone's is a landmark type location, even though Clifford Antone recently passed away (http://www.antones.net/) (broken link). I don't see anyone on their schedule yet, but can't imagine that there won't be.....

La Zone Rosa is down in the warehouse district, all though it is more of a music venue (they sell tickets in advance, usually - http://www.lazonarosa.com/) and the Backyard is out near hwy 71/hwy 620 and is also a ticket-show type place (http://www.thebackyard.net/)

Anyway, there are a few ideas .

Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Also, there was a thread here recently about the top three restaurants for the true Austin experience - do a forum search for that, some really good options!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:35 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA girl View Post
Hello, again,
So, I'm finally going to have an opportunity to visit Austin next month, and I'm very excited! I will be looking at real estate, but also plan to engage in some recreational activities, as I will be travelling sans kids and husband! Could you kind folks please give me the short list of top restaurants (some mexican or tex-mex would be great, but any other type of cuisine would also be welcome) and bars/clubs in the downtown Austin area that my friend and I should check out? I love most types of music, but am not fond of country, so I would prefer to avoid this type of venue.

Thanks a million!
For mexican tacos - taqueria de arandas
For BBQ - rudy's bbq (get extra moist brisket and creamed corn)
Late night food with austin feel -kerbey lane
for tex mex - chuys (get their jalapeno ranch sauce) or guerros
for the lake - iguana grill (tex mex)
great happy hour deal - eddie v's (half priced appetizers - mostly seafood)
Cool grocery experience - downtown whole foods
For a good steak - sullivans or austin land and cattle
vegetarian with austin feel - magnolia cafe

These are the more inexepensive austin type of places.

the more expensive ones would be
driskill hotel
jeffries
wink
hudson's on the bend (serve weird meats like snake)

Old 04-19-2007, 06:24 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
My picks are for dining...

Lunch at the Driskill Hotel (the Cafe)...very nice and not over priced.
Kerbey Lane...a definite. I love their gingerbread and pumpkin pancakes!
Their enchilada's aren't too bad either.
BBQ--Iron Works
Ooohhh....if you feel like taking a short drive....check out The Oasis www.oasis-austin.com The food isn't that great but the ambience is!! You won't be disappointed. Great place to watch the sunset over the lake.

My picks for bars/entertainment...

Continental Club...depending which night you go
Elephant Room for jazz
Antones for the Blues

And be sure to see the bats take off from beneath the Congress Ave Bridge at dusk...quite a site...looks like large black ribbons in the sky.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:35 AM

225 posts, read 851,303 times
THis forum is great for rest. recomendations
http://www.chowhound.com/boards/61

Old 04-20-2007, 09:18 AM

110 posts, read 590,748 times
We just had lunch at Chuy's (how do you pronounce that anyhow---- does it rhyme with Joy?) and it was yummy!!! I could eat their chips and salsa alllllll day long

Texas Land & Cattle was pretty yummy too. And Pappadioux (hope I spelled that right) has THE BEST ahi tuna we've ever had!!! I'm hungry for it just thinking about it

We haven't had a chance to go downtown yet so I have nothing for you there

Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 AM

110 posts, read 590,748 times
we in WA are you coming from? We just moved here from Vancouver, WA and I can't believe how nice the people are and the weather is sooooo much better than WA---- but we love the sun so it's perfect for us! And housing is so much more affordable--- I was able to quit working when we moved yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: