Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,897 times

Advertisements

I was reading the Hutto News and discovered a NOTICE. It was this: "The following person has registered with the City of Hutto Police Department as a convicted sex offender." Underneath that another was listed and it appeared it was either a husband and wife, brother/sister, or some other family tie. They gave the address which is around the corner from here.

This is a serious question: what are people suppose to do with this information? What do you say to your kids?

When I do the search of where the sex offenders live I have to ask myself why there are so many in almost each and every neighborhood. I'm not a total moron but I do wonder what the heck is going on.

Do HOA's screen for sex offenders? What if someone becomes a sex offender while living within an HOA?

Please offer some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:56 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
Do HOA's screen for sex offenders?
Not sure what you mean by 'screen' for sex offenders. If a house is being bought or sold, the HOA really has no say about who is buying it. I guess they could check the buyers name and notify members of the HOA if a new offender came into the neighborhood, but that duplicates the city's web site, sort of.

Why are there so many? I don't know, not even sure if it is a lot or just seems like a lot? Anyway, I do not that a significant percentage are apparently the 'statutory rape' category that can resulted from consensual sex between two HS kids (and 'adult' and a 'child'). I think you can look up the specifics for each offender, not all are pedophiles, although that is often the implication you get from any coverage about SOs.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,973 times
We had one in our neighborhood, charged with aggravated assault of a child. Or I believe that's what it was called. Anyway, it wasn't good. He lived in a small apartment complex a block away. My child knew what a sex offender was, so I didn't have to explain that, but showed his picture so he would be recognized. We talked about what to do if someone approaches you, not answering the door if you're home alone, and whether going for a bike ride or a walk, to be with friends. I don't want to go overboard, but whenever my child leaves, I think it's a good idea to have a cell phone and make sure it's charged.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,897 times
That is kinda the information I was looking for. I think it's important to have a discussion on the issue. Maybe because when I do the search on the TXDPS I see how many there are. Many of us just see all the dots and go OMG what is going on. The specifics of each case are relevant. I agree with you that the implication is all the dots are child sex offenders.

I also keep forgetting that consensual sex between high school kids is a crime.

I suppose what I'm looking for is some sort of classroom discussion if you will. I realize I have brought up this subject before. I do not mean to be redundant but I am left with more questions than answers.

I do like to hear what others think about the notices in the paper, how they look at the statistics, what their thoughts are.

I look at the notice in the paper and a million questions fill my head. Maybe it's something I could find a local class on in regards to this issue or just let it go.

Also realize the extremes that can happen with a discussion. Not trying to start anything...really. I just see the notices and wonder.

Eh, there really is no proper/good way to begin this discussion without digging a big hole is there?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
HOA's cannot refuse someone based on that alone.

There is a website though that lists all the registered offenders living in your town.

Here's the Texas one:
https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...New/index.aspx

Old 07-10-2009, 04:26 PM

65 posts, read 139,784 times
Well I know A LOT about this as an offender moved in next door. Interestingly, they have to register, but no notice was given in our case. Once we found out, we had them put a notice in our neighborhood newsletter saying "an offender had moved into the neighborhood" without his name or address, but a site for more information, etc.

Also, I agree the actual offense is what I wanted to know. Many times the legal conviction description doesn't tell you much, but you can call to find out what the actual offense is (or check the above site). An 19 year old who gets busted by his 17 year old girlfriends parents for statutory isn't in my mind anywhere near the same category as a flasher, internet predator (my neighbor) or someone convicted of sexual assault, but they may all just be dots on a map. And of course, these are only the ones who've been caught...

It's scary, but what can you do? I have very young kids and basically said that guy has done some bad things, so we stay away from him. They know no one is to touch them, etc., but I'm not getting into specifics with them at this point.

I DO think offenders look to live near other offenders or areas where there is a concentration- if these other offenders have managed to live somewhere without being hassled, then maybe "it's safe" for them too. Know what I mean?

Legally you can't discriminate (even against creeps ), so an HOA couldn't request removal of someone who became an offender. If their conviction requires them to be a certain distance from schools, parks, etc. and they were too close, I imagine they'd have to move, but how would that be enforced? I wonder...

What's sad is it's SO common... I think I'd just live with it if he weren't RIGHT next door and sharing a fence with me. Sad- he has teenagers too. They can't have any sort of life... again, just my experience, but it could happen to ANYONE. I'm in a nice family-friendly neighborhood and would never have expected this.

Last edited by schock77; 07-10-2009 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 06:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Yeah, there are at least 2 in my neighborhood. The HOA can't do anything about it, although Citizens did try and get something done about how close they could live to a school. Nothing was done however. We all know where they live, I explain to my daughter that this is someone who has done something hurtful to a child (if that was the conviction), and to NEVER go near that house. I also show her pictures. I actually talked to some people who live on the street where one of the offenders lives and they assured me that they watch him like a hawk. He can't hardly even go to the bathroom without someone knowing about it (I find this to be one of the benefits of a small town)

Hutto does have a citizens group. They also have a website you could google for the address. Go to one of the meetings and voice your concerns. I've attended a number of them myself.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,141 times
Isn't there some website where you put in your zip code or something and it'll tell you if an offender lives there?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
yes, and I used to have it bookmarked but lost it somehow.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
They are everywhere, even in the best zip codes. There is one a few blocks from our house, I've never seen him, but I do tell my kids the usual rules (taking gifts from strangers, not answering questions from strangers, etc). They've done their time, so the constitutional thing is that they are allowed to 'start over', but I kind of hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin