Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whole Foods Flagship Store - Downtown amenity or liability?
Downtown Amenity - I'd love to be able to walk there! 18 94.74%
Downtown Liability - I'm staying away! 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times

Advertisements

I've always thought of the Whole Foods downtown HQ as a downtown amenity, something most downtown residents would be happy to live near. However, another poster recently speculated that such may not be the case... that actually, because of the high prices, the Whole Foods flagship store might really be a detriment to downtown living.

So what do you think? If you were living downtown, would you want it nearby? Would you shop there? Have you been there, participated in the cooking school, or visited the rooftop ice skating rink during the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I love the WF downtown, and if I lived DT, I would certainly be there every day. I go all the time, at least 4-5 times a week. The NW store is much smaller, but has a great WF assortment.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
I think that the BookPeople next door is a better amenity, personally, but if I lived closer to downtown and weren't on a college student's budget I would shop there regularly. For now, it's the HEB on 45th and Red River.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 PM

193 posts, read 534,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I think that the BookPeople next door is a better amenity, personally, but if I lived closer to downtown and weren't on a college student's budget I would shop there regularly. For now, it's the HEB on 45th and Red River.
Is there not a Save A Lot foods near you? Now that is the place to shop if you are on a college budget.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
I believe there will be a Central Market located in the new hi-rise complex planned for the old water treatment plant. Buying a condo at 2nd/San Antonio will pay off well here in 5 years.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I am more of a Central Market person than a Whole Foods person but it is definitely an amenity to be close to it and the other shopping options at that corner (Anthropologie, Book People, Waterloo Records, etc).

The downtown WF is the closest one to me and I've been there with playgroups and mom's groups, the rooftop is a great alternative space to parks in the heat of summer and on rainy days.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 AM
yam

228 posts, read 887,697 times
If you can afford a condo downtown, then paying a bit extra for the organic arugula is not a problem

Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
If you can afford a condo downtown, then paying a bit extra for the organic arugula is not a problem
That's what I was thinking too! The biggest problem with shopping at Whole Foods isn't the price of the organic arugula - it's that there are so many offerings of expensive things you don't need but somehow seem to want. I used to shop at the Gateway store and if I was careful and planned my purchases, I didn't spend a great deal more than I would shopping at Randall's or even the HEB for meats, produce and some canned and baked goods. Problem is, WF doesn't have everything you need, so you end up having to go to a HEB type store to get staples anyway. If I had a downtown condo, I'm pretty sure I'd be buying the organic arugula along with grass fed beef and other delights!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM

30 posts, read 78,258 times
I LOVE WF and CM both and have been many times. I will be moving to Austin next month and do plan on living downtown so I am really happy it's there!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
Right, it's a lifestyle choice. I might still go once every week or two to Costco or Sams to get the non-perishable staples, but I'd be buying my meat, fish, veggies, fruits, etc. at the Whole Foods and enjoying the walk to and from.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin