Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whole Foods Flagship Store - Downtown amenity or liability?
Downtown Amenity - I'd love to be able to walk there! 18 94.74%
Downtown Liability - I'm staying away! 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,152,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
LOL. What a garbage poll. Are those two the only possible characterizations?
It's a "thumbs up, or thumbs down" poll. Perfectly valid for a quick snapshot opinion poll.

You seem to think the railroad is a liability. From whom have you heard complaints about it or are you making just a general assumption? My guess is that the residents nearby will tell you it's no big deal. My mother lives in a home that backs to the railroad tracks in Manchaca. She's lived there since 1992. Neither her or her neighbors consider it a nuisance. She actually likes it.

I've sold homes that back to railroad tracks, busy roads, near a fire station, etc. Many people will rule out a home for that reason, but many have no problem with it, especially people who have grown up and lived all their life in noisy urban environments.

I don't think it's reasonable to think that the same people seeking urban lifestyle in the heart of the city are also seeking quiet serenity such that they would be intolerant or bothered by something as minor as a passing train.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:39 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,998,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
If you can afford a condo downtown, then paying a bit extra for the organic arugula is not a problem
That's what I figured too... plus, you'll save a little on gas and possibly drive time.

Also, I'm guessing any other grocery store that opens downtown will have premium prices, due to the location and rent.

Interesting news about the Central Market. I think I remember seeing a 2-story HEB in one of those proposals for the Green Water Treatment plant. But a Central Market makes more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin