Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,742,294 times

Advertisements

There are many threads on this list criticizing ex-Californians for trying to change Texans to many of their ways. In this one area, at least, I think they are absolutely right. California, based upon actual statistical evidence, has banned the use of handheld devices while driving. Who amongst us has not at sometime narrowly avoided an accident or observed erratic driving only to discover that the other driver is either texting or having a cellphone conversation? The sooner Texas' legislature passes a law against this pervasive but potentially dangerous practice, the better.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,814 times
Default It might happen

It looks like some type of ban could be in the works.

Cell Phones in Cars Could Be Banned

I've been hit by drivers who were talking on their cell phones, and have had to swerve around quite a few that drift between lanes or drive through stop lights. Worst of all, these were not teenagers, college kids, or service vehicles, they were regular adults. I felt safer driving in Houston as a lost tourist What ever happened to Driver's Ed and adult responsibility?

Last edited by nomore07; 03-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,283,740 times
It's a different world now. People can't even go to the grocery store and refrain from talking on their phones. It's too bad a law has to be passed to keep people off their phones while driving. There is no common sense and responsibility anymore.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,145,815 times
More government intrusion.

Personally, I don't see all these people who are soooo distracted they can't drive. Every now and again yes. I do occasionally talk on the cell phone while driving. I don't think its any more distracting then the host of other things I see people doing in their cars-- Eating, applying make up, shaving, adjusting the radio, etc.

I know everyone enjoys expressing their outrage and cellphones while driving is a nice, popular, luddite target. However, if as many people are talking on their cellphones as these people claim, maybe that's what people want?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,327,308 times
I agree we should ban cell phones.....as soon as we ban radios, makeup, cds, kids and daydreaming. All contribute to accidents.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,100,281 times
The only time I've had a problem w/ people on the phone, is those people from out-of-town who are lost and are looking for street signs and directions.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
Well, since it's evidently been established that hands free is no less distracting than hands on, and that it's the conversation itself that's the distraction, clearly we must also ban passengers in automobiles, as well, right, lest we be tempted to talk to them? In order to be consistent and believable?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 PM

174 posts, read 501,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I agree we should ban cell phones.....as soon as we ban radios, makeup, cds, kids and daydreaming. All contribute to accidents.
I agree but isn't it the fact that everyone brings there personality to the road with them.That's biggest distraction of them all... I mean if you feel that talking on your cell,radios, makeup, cds, kids and daydreaming all should come before everyone else's safety on the road, then isn't that the real problem?

The bottom line is the ability to effectively communicate with the other drivers and there acknowledgement of your intenstions.
I.E..passing change lanes,turn signal etc and when something interfers with those communications or distracts it "cell,radios, makeup, cds, kids and daydreaming " that's how we get accidents.

Not to mention you can be on your cell phone and do all those things as well and in austin that 's not difficult to see.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
The sooner Texas' legislature passes a law against this pervasive but potentially dangerous practice, the better.
The sooner the Texas legislature passes a law against Californians moving here and trying to make it just like California (i.e. a worthless state), the better!!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,327,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
I agree but isn't it the fact that everyone brings there personality to the road with them.That's biggest distraction of them all... I mean if you feel that talking on your cell,radios, makeup, cds, kids and daydreaming all should come before everyone else's safety on the road, then isn't that the real problem?

The bottom line is the ability to effectively communicate with the other drivers and there acknowledgement of your intenstions.
I.E..passing change lanes,turn signal etc and when something interfers with those communications or distracts it "cell,radios, makeup, cds, kids and daydreaming " that's how we get accidents.

Not to mention you can be on your cell phone and do all those things as well and in austin that 's not difficult to see.
Well, you can't legislate intelligence! Sadly, some people's intelligence is overtapped as soon as they turn on the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin